quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: When your kid starts throwing a temper tantrum in the store, I:
  • 29.4% - Ignore him and continue about my shopping 254
  • 29.4% - Try my best to calm him down 254
  • 28.8% - Drop what I’m doing and leave immediately 249
  • 12.4% - Other (comments, please) 107
864 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

jakeiscrazy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jakeiscrazy

Get the kid in line! How is that not a choice?

Leaving, is letting you child control the situation.

"Calming him down", sounds like more non parenting.

And you do nothing types, the world hates you we do. Its annoying and just wait until you child starts throwing things to get your attention. Now you have a real mess.

How about, tell your child to shape up of face consequences and continue to escalate the punishment until the child stops. They aren't stupid and at some point they know its not worth it.

ardubu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ardubu

Do like my mom did...
Take the kid out to the car and spank his/her butt.
How's that for child in control?

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

rainydz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rainydz

Talk to your child before you enter a store and lay ground rules. Make the consequences of bad behavior and rewards for good behavior very clear. Always worked for me.

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

How about telling my child firmly "I do NOT allow that behavior" in the "mom's gonna kick your ass" tone of voice. Has always worked with my kids. Worse case: I've told my kids if they are going to throw a tantrum, they have to do it correctly. Then I begin telling them how to throw a better tantrum (demonstrate if need be). Kick higher! You aren't yelling loud enough. When mom gets down and shows them "how it's done", they lose interest very quickly and even future behavior is better because they don't want to be corrected during a tantrum.

catkicker1026

quality posts: 0 Private Messages catkicker1026

I tell them I'm going to pull there britches down in front of God and the entire store and whip them. I make sure my Wife has bale money with her.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

rap Him\Her in duck tape, works..

mncowboy96

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mncowboy96

Well I know the everyone wins at tee ball crowd will blow a gasket for this but hey I grew up knowing if I acted up I was going to get taken to the car and spanked. I then would be sitting there on my hands till the shopping was completed.

Say what you want but funny how when spanking was the norm there was no school massacres

Lister22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Lister22

I believe this is a recycled question.

dishee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dishee

Shouldn't this question be either "When MY kid starts throwing a temper tantrum, I..." or "When YOUR kid starts throwing a temper tantrum, you..."?

Or did Woot want to know what I do when YOUR kid starts throwing a temper tantrum?

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

Leaving isn't always letting the child control the situation. It completely depends on the premise you brought the child into the store under. If leaving seems like a punishment to them, it may be the right thing to do. If you're leaving out of some sort of embarrassment, you're probably doing it wrong.

I think we all know that most things aren't black and white. People are different, situations are different, etc. Seems like everyone has their opinion about the "right" way to handle any situation. Even when most of those opinionated folks have never been even remotely close to the situation they "know" so much about.

Thanks for the input, and I'll handle things the way I feel best to handle them for me and mine.

Also, people are awesome!

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
ardubu wrote:Do like my mom did...
Take the kid out to the car and spank his/her butt.
How's that for child in control?

Why take them out to the car? I will spank my kid on the spot. I've yet to have anyone say anything. I don't beat them, but I will get them in line there and then. Anyone wants to complain, they can raise the little turds. ;)

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

angelsk8er125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angelsk8er125

I'm not a parent, but I will never forget the time when my mom and I were at the store (I think I was 7) and I through a fit because she wouldn't let me get a candy bar in the check out. I jumped up and down, crying. So, what did she do... She did the exact same thing I was doing. And all I did was stop and stare at her. Best store memory I will ever remember.

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett
catkicker1026 wrote:I tell them I'm going to pull there britches down in front of God and the entire store and whip them. I make sure my Wife has bale money with her.

Make sure she has a dictionary too.

desertpreacher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages desertpreacher

I always start laughing at them and pointing. Shuts em up pretty quick.

jackw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackw

A modification to my vote...
Drop what I'm doing, leave immediately, take him to the car and let him know how utterly and totally ashamed I am of him acting out in public that way. Then we go home. No toys for the bad boy!

I live the way I type, FAST, with a lot of mistakes.

dwunderlich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwunderlich

Wear that ass out.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime
jakeiscrazy wrote:Get the kid in line! How is that not a choice?

"Get the kid in line" and "Calming him down" are the same in my book, so I don't really see how the second is "non-parenting".

Certainly there are undesirable ways to get him to calm down (e.g. giving in to his demands or telling him "it is going to be okay"), but I interpretd this choice as being authoritative and instructing him to stop his unacceptable behavior.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
catkicker1026 wrote:I tell them I'm going to pull there britches down in front of God and the entire store and whip them. I make sure my Wife has bale money with her.

So glad you were not my father because my dad would get the job done without beating me but then again he had an IQ above 83.

teal32288

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teal32288

Escalation of force.

lanni260

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lanni260

combination of all three....first ill ignore and keep walking..this works about half the time. second ill try ad calm the kid down usually with a firm tone and steely glare. third, if it gets this far, i will leave my cart in the aisle and drag the kid out of the store take them home give em a spank and a time out and go back for my stuff. this works for me because my kids want to go to the supermarket with me, they enjoy it and dont usually act up while were there, so leaving is hardly letting them control the situation...which i noticed someone above said.

melb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melb
rainydz wrote:Talk to your child before you enter a store and lay ground rules. Make the consequences of bad behavior and rewards for good behavior very clear. Always worked for me.

This is what my parents did. We knew better and we were always well behaved. My parents always received compliments in regards to our behavior. Hopefully I can be as effective with my children.

dwunderlich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwunderlich
gusvonpooch wrote:So glad you were not my father because my dad would get the job done without beating me but then again he had an IQ above 83.

"Beating"....please. The reason you have so many kids disrespecting their parents and acting like spoiled brats is because the repercussions of acting like that are minimal. Parents have all but lost their ability to correct behavior effectively. If you think spanking and beating are the same, maybe we should all go to an MMA tournament and watch fighters paddle each other in the octagon.....

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

No trip to the car, restroom, or anywhere else. A pop on the butt was swift and sure. It was not long that a stare alone would stop the tantrum.

Something else that I feel has a valid relationship. When spankings were going on in schools, shootings were not. There is a direct correlation between a lack of discipline and unacceptable behavior. Like it or not!

harle85

quality posts: 6 Private Messages harle85

You 30% who ignore and keep shopping? Yeah, the rest of the world hates you.

biganfine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biganfine

Break out with my spoon and tear into their butt where they had the tandrum at.

pace3642

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pace3642

Do the child the way I was done, beat them like a 4 yr old in Kmart. The problem with today's kids is counting. what's all that about? I would never lay a hand on my child in anger but I am certainly not going to give them counting lessons as a reward for ill manored behavior. Spare the rod and spoil the child. A good spanking to show them who's the boss is the best medicine and in the bathroom of the store is the quickest place to handle it.

greenlantern57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenlantern57
jakeiscrazy wrote:Get the kid in line! How is that not a choice?

Leaving, is letting you child control the situation.

And you do nothing types, the world hates you we do. Its annoying and just wait until you child starts throwing things to get your attention. Now you have a real mess.

How about, tell your child to shape up of face consequences and continue to escalate the punishment until the child stops. They aren't stupid and at some point they know its not worth it.

We raised 2 good boys. Punishing them when they were acting up. Lots of positive when they straightened up. Were they perfect, no! They were human with problems, hardships, and victories.

Listening to the voices is calming. Except for Fernado, he pushes my buttons.

poioin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poioin

i take my belt off and hit him in the store

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
charliecarroll wrote:No trip to the car, restroom, or anywhere else. A pop on the butt was swift and sure. It was not long that a stare alone would stop the tantrum.

Something else that I feel has a valid relationship. When spankings were going on in schools, shootings were not. There is a direct correlation between a lack of discipline and unacceptable behavior. Like it or not!

"When spankings were going on in schools, shootings were not."
Great solution have the teachers start smacking the kids around and school shootings will stop! How could we have overlooked the obvious?

mac daddy1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mac daddy1
nanaejt wrote:"When spankings were going on in schools, shootings were not."
Great solution have the teachers start smacking the kids around and school shootings will stop! How could we have overlooked the obvious?

You're a lawyer, right? Animal rights activist? Word twister?