Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3052 Private Messages lichme

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3690 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Some good reviews [3.5 out of 5.0) over at Amazon

mamawoot

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mamawoot

Where were these when my (grown) kid was little??!!??

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

I had these and I liked that the straw folded down into the lid, so you could close it off. Cleaning it, on the other hand, was a total nightmare. It's like trying to solve the Rubic's cube to get that straw back in there!

I've never seen the other tippy-style. Mine always liked the sippy-style instead. Much easier, since the tippy-style means they have a harder time transitioning to regular drinking glasses and not dumping drink on themselves.

ollie416

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ollie416
bnbsouthworth wrote:I had these and I liked that the straw folded down into the lid, so you could close it off. Cleaning it, on the other hand, was a total nightmare. It's like trying to solve the Rubic's cube to get that straw back in there!

I've never seen the other tippy-style. Mine always liked the sippy-style instead. Much easier, since the tippy-style means they have a harder time transitioning to regular drinking glasses and not dumping drink on themselves.

Just to help anyone out who may have the same problem getting the straw back into the flip-top style (as opposed to the sport bottle style in this collection).....I have several of these flip top style of sippy cups for my son, and I used to also get ridiculously aggravated trying to replace the straw part in the same manner.....until one day I got pretty ticked off and just ripped the flip cap off in a fit of mom-rage.

When I wash them, I break down everything on the cup, INCLUDING removing the pivoting flip cap thingy. I then put it back together afterwards by assembling the two sections of the straw, feeding the flexible portion up through the top, THEN replacing the pivoting flip cap part. There are two small holes on the main part of the top which accommodate a small bump-like peg on each side of the flip cap. The flip cap typically pops in and out with a minimal amount of effort in my experience, and I find it pretty easy to replace the straw again this way. Now if only I could teach my own husband to do this.....lol.

soozenw

quality posts: 7 Private Messages soozenw

The flip top caps are awesome. Our 2 year old uses these every day. I don't know if these are the redesigned ones (they have changed the design recently and it's much better) though, so be prepared for some leaking if they are the older design.

The cups that look more like a bottle (the sports bottle version) is a guaranteed mess maker. Not because it leaks (it will get worn out when your toddler figures out that their finger can poke through the spout), but because all a toddler has to do is push on the silicone top and it will go into the cup, thereby allowing the precious little one to dump their water everywhere.

At least my floors were clean for a while before we threw those cups out.

Flip top yes, sports top no. Fantastic price as well.

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

I wonder when they are going to start making these out of gorilla glass. I'd pay $50 for a nice glass one, honestly. Yes, these are BPA free, but apparently still plastic (what kind?). Yesterday one of my 5 year old sons sons asked me 'Dad, why do they put stuff in there that will turn me into a girl?' When is the epa going to get its act together?

pfffft!

chiieddy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chiieddy

Alternative use. I use the sports top types to hold soaps and other liquids for my gym shower kit. The leak-proof tops also mean they won't leak onto my clothes in my gym bag.

jweb1510

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jweb1510

Same basic commentary as everyone else - seems to be good for the little padwan, gets them acclimated to a straw, etc. But they are a pain to clean and a veritable Rubick's cube to reassemble.

keithbluhm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keithbluhm

1) not gonna turn guys into gals, and 2) we are to believe that just yesterday your son asked about these turning him into a chick and, low and behold, today they come up for sale?

andrewtl wrote:I wonder when they are going to start making these out of gorilla glass. I'd pay $50 for a nice glass one, honestly. Yes, these are BPA free, but apparently still plastic (what kind?). Yesterday one of my 5 year old sons sons asked me 'Dad, why do they put stuff in there that will turn me into a girl?' When is the epa going to get its act together?

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl
keithbluhm wrote:1) not gonna turn guys into gals, and 2) we are to believe that just yesterday your son asked about these turning him into a chick and, low and behold, today they come up for sale?

Obviously he didn't ask specifically about this model and yes, many plastics leach estrogen mimicking chemicals http://www.npr.org/2011/03/02/134196209/study-most-plastics-leach-hormone-like-chemicals so he's not so far off. Again, what kind of plastic is this made of?

pfffft!

tejo

quality posts: 11 Private Messages tejo

The straws on this get mildewy and are difficult to clean. They are a great cup, I just wish they offered replacement straws.

On previous thread someone offered a review of the Nalgene toddler sport sipper. If you are getting these for your kids that are nearly past the sippy cup, they have been awesome the last week or so. My kids take them to daycare and use around the house, for dinner we are on real cups. sportco.com for best price.

gti87

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gti87

Like ollie said, the trick with these is to remove the flip cap. Then pull the straw out and apart, clean thoroughly and easily, put straw back together and through the lid, snap flip cap back on and pat yourself on the back for being smarter than the cup.

artheathen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages artheathen

Just used these yesterday when one and half year old grandson was here. The sports bottle was a disaster...we could not get it to work, grandson was very frustrated and it sure leaked! The straw bottle is awesome, everyone loved how it prevent leaks and was so easy to carry for the little hands. We won't throw away the sports bottle...just need education I guess on how they heck they work!

Artheathen

deathxbyxsnusnu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deathxbyxsnusnu
keithbluhm wrote:1) not gonna turn guys into gals, and 2) we are to believe that just yesterday your son asked about these turning him into a chick and, low and behold, today they come up for sale?

It's a shame that your son has been taught to think that turning into a girl could be a bad thing.

Also referencing what the other person said, it's probably not true.

mlemasney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlemasney

Someone mentioned the unavailability of replacement straws...they do sell them, at least for the flip top cups. We buy them every couple of months from Amazon, as our kids are straw chewers. By the way, they also sell cleaning brushes.

slylynn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slylynn

I bought some of these last time. One of the packs had colors not shown in the picture, so you might get colors other than blue, orange, and green. The instructions even say to remove the flip top to clean the straw, they're not too hard to reassemble.
I'm not sure if a previous comment had a different style of sport bottle than I got. Mine have 3 small holes spaced along the circle at the top so I'm not sure how a child would manage to stick their finger through. You actually have to bite the sport bottles a little to allow water through. A child can squeeze the spout and shake it to make water come out.

jonknighton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonknighton

We've had a pair of these for nearly five years now and it's only in the last couple of months that they have worn out (the flexible parts of the straws have developed holes). My girl is all girl and my boy is all boy, and I'm pretty confident these cups won't change that happy balance. I've always disassembled them completely for cleaning, and when the straws have mold growing in them, a soak in a 50/50 bleach/water mix fixes them right up. Anything stuck in the straw is easily removed with a pipe cleaner.

Like I said, they're only now wearing out, so I'm in for a set. At $2 per after shipping, it's cheaper by far than getting replacement straws.