0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Is this like Inspector Gadget?

Go-go gadget arms? Go-go gadget legs? Go-go balance bike?

denhideous

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denhideous

Is this what they call a "strider" bike?

lichme

quality posts: 3125 Private Messages lichme

I cannot comment on this particular model, however Balance bikes are a GREAT way to train kids on. Assembly, not so fun.

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

Recent research says it's easier to go from a balance bike to a bicycle rather than from a bike with training wheels. Apparently the more difficult skill is to keep balanced versus learning to pedal. I'd be in for this for my own kids if I could.

shroop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shroop

We just took the pedals (and training wheels) off a regular tiny kids bike, let the kids practice balancing on it, and when they get the hang of it (rolling down a slight hill is great practice) put the pedals on again and off they went.

jbjoseph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbjoseph
denhideous wrote:Is this what they call a "strider" bike?

These are the same concept to the Strider brand bikes but the Strider brand uses an aluminum frame.

My 3 year old loves his Strider balance bike.

striderbikes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28&Itemid=106

fartfile

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fartfile

Would recommend a balance bike (Strider, Like-a-Bike, etcetc) but wouldn't recommend this unless your house is large enough and you plan on having your kid use this indoors.

If you plan on going to a park or outdoors, spend a little more and get a metal frame one for your kids, this one is just not hefty enough.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Product webpage if you want to contact them ($99.99 there, $39.99 here)
http://www.smartgeartoys.com/p/gogo-smart-balance-bike

I know this woot last year wasn't for the same bike, but it's the same concept if you want to read the pro/con entries:
http://kids.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5109693

jsburton22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsburton22
shroop wrote:We just took the pedals (and training wheels) off a regular tiny kids bike, let the kids practice balancing on it, and when they get the hang of it (rolling down a slight hill is great practice) put the pedals on again and off they went.

great idea.....just taking the wheels off of current bike, makes much more sense and then saves you from having to buy two bikes, one with and one without petals

privateerx1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages privateerx1

The picture does not seem to match the desciption. The description mentions "spokeless wheels" and a "carry handle", neither of which are shown in the picture.

slrosenbaum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages slrosenbaum

We're looking into getting a balance bike for my 2.5 year old for her birthday. We've tried out the bikes at the store, and found that she's just too small for the 12 inch bikes. Plus, she doesn't quite get the pedals yet. How does this one compare to the Strider, or any of the other metal ones? Are they worth the extra money?

fbradshaw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fbradshaw

I have two children and both used a Skuut (a different balance bike). I don't usually do reviews but I swore should this topic come up, I have to say something.
A balance bike has been the greatest thing we could have ever introducted our kids to!
We put them on the balance bikes pretty much when they were steady walkers (about 18 months old) and let them walk while on the seat. By 2, they were walking quickly and rolling. By three, full speed, lifting feet from the ground going full coast!
My daughter was 4 when she got her "pedal" bike and my son 3.5 when he first rode the pedal bike. They didn't fear it, took right to it.
I can't say enough about balance bikes. If you have friends and family with toddlers, please please buy this woot and give them this bike.
Thanks to their early riding, we now have family bike rides when my son is only 4 years old!
Amazing things they are.
Don't miss out!

fbradshaw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fbradshaw

It's a balance bike.
Unless you have someone to give the bike to or plan to save if or a future child, shop for a balance bike based on price (lower the better)

slrosenbaum wrote:We're looking into getting a balance bike for my 2.5 year old for her birthday. We've tried out the bikes at the store, and found that she's just too small for the 12 inch bikes. Plus, she doesn't quite get the pedals yet. How does this one compare to the Strider, or any of the other metal ones? Are they worth the extra money?

portlyking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages portlyking

Would this fit a 5 year old? We seem to be a little late to the balance bike party, but I think it would be a good fit (as long as it fits)

Could have worded that better.

pausingnomad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pausingnomad

I have a very similar bike (looks identical except for a decal that says ZÜM) and can add some pointers.
1 - the steering wheel doesn't turn very far and thus this has a wide turning radius. Might be ok for very young kids who could benefit from the restriction, but
2 - very young kids won't fit on it. My son is an average height 2.5 year old (about 36in) and only just recently was able to fit on it, and only his toes touch. This is after I drilled an extra set of holes to make the seat go lower than they designed, too. Strider bikes go lower and also higher, so they are with your kid through a wider age range. My nephew has a strider and has ridden it since age 2.
3 - this has air-filled tire tubes inside rubber tires. To me this an advantage over strider, which uses a hard foam tire that I expect gets less traction and wears down faster, although pneumatic tires require a little maintenance (and an air pump).

Striders are twice the price on AMZ but I think are the slightly better bet overall. Still, this is good for probably 3-4 year olds.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

privateerx1 wrote:The picture does not seem to match the desciption. The description mentions "spokeless wheels" and a "carry handle", neither of which are shown in the picture.

That's the manufacturer's text right from their site under the picture but we agree, we're not seeing them either. We're removing those from our features.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

vinubaba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vinubaba

where do the kids put their legs and feet if there are no pedals?

heatherngillis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heatherngillis
portlyking wrote:Would this fit a 5 year old? We seem to be a little late to the balance bike party, but I think it would be a good fit (as long as it fits)

We have this bike, and my 5 year-old is too tall for it, but she's 4 feet tall, too, so ymmv. My daughter rides a regular bike now (no training wheels!), as does her 4 year-old brother. Balance bikes ROCK!

tandersen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tandersen

I purchased a Skuut balance bike for my then 3 year old son and within a few days he was riding a pedal bike. We have since loaned the Skuut to others and perhaps a dozen kids have learned to ride without training wheels in very little time. Learning to ride without training wheels at an early age is a great confidence builder and while I can't speak directly about this model,I endorse the approach and think this is a bargain. The height and weight capacity indicated should be OK for up to 6 years old.

scobeto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scobeto
privateerx1 wrote:The picture does not seem to match the desciption. The description mentions "spokeless wheels" and a "carry handle", neither of which are shown in the picture.

I don't think the wheels are technically spoke wheels. These wheels don't require truing over time and are probably one piece, plastic wheels.

But, a balance bike is bar none the best way for a child to learn to ride a bike. Training wheels train kids to be afraid of falling. Put a kid on a balance bike and the fear is gone. Well worth the money. Buy one if you need one.

slrosenbaum wrote:We're looking into getting a balance bike for my 2.5 year old for her birthday. We've tried out the bikes at the store, and found that she's just too small for the 12 inch bikes. Plus, she doesn't quite get the pedals yet. How does this one compare to the Strider, or any of the other metal ones? Are they worth the extra money?

More than likely, your child will use this for less than a few months before she is ready for a pedal bike. I think paying more would be a waste.

soozenw

quality posts: 7 Private Messages soozenw
portlyking wrote:Would this fit a 5 year old? We seem to be a little late to the balance bike party, but I think it would be a good fit (as long as it fits)

Depends on how tall your 5 year old is. We have a pretty tall 5 year old, and he's way too tall for this bike. He's 46" tall. Even last year, when we got (a similar but not this brand) bike, he was too tall at ~42". You're better off with something that is adjustable.

radhar13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages radhar13

so are you saying this is for kids less than 40" tall?

thanks in advance!

soozenw wrote:Depends on how tall your 5 year old is. We have a pretty tall 5 year old, and he's way too tall for this bike. He's 46" tall. Even last year, when we got (a similar but not this brand) bike, he was too tall at ~42". You're better off with something that is adjustable.

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

Illegal in North Dakota