WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you ever spell words so your kids don’t know what you’re saying?
  • 17.7% - Not that I can recall 216
  • 27.3% - Sometimes, yes 333
  • 52.2% - All the F-R-I-G-G-I-N time 637
  • 2.9% - Other (comments, please) 35
1221 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

BlackCreekBearTRP1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackCreekBearTRP1

I use too before they start spelling faster than I could

jimmygeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmygeek

Yeah, pretty much what Black Creek said...

moles1138

quality posts: 25 Private Messages moles1138

No kids, but one of our dogs loves carrots and we have to spell it or he goes nuts. It is a good way to get him inside. "Zipper...CARROTS!"

no signature necessary

mrsque

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrsque

no, I think they spell words so I don't know what's going on

*I* have FIVE Quality Posts! no, seriously...how did that happen?!

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

Not for the kids, but definitely for the dogs. You can't just say squirrel or cat or walk in front of them

moles1138

quality posts: 25 Private Messages moles1138
roadlizard7 wrote:Not for the kids, but definitely for the dogs. You can't just say squirrel or cat or walk in front of them

forgot about "walk"...let's also add "ride"

no signature necessary

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas

I used to be able to spell out words like you, until I took an arrow to the kn... I mean, a 4 year old reader to the household.

The 3yo is really good at deciphering clues, too. Me to husband: "Hey, honey, should we stop at the yellow arch logo next to the intersection?" 3yo: "Oh yeah! Go to McDonald's, Daddy, I want some french fries!!!"

*headdesk*

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
Adelas wrote:I used to be able to spell out words like you, until I took an arrow to the kn... I mean, a 4 year old reader to the household.

The 3yo is really good at deciphering clues, too. Me to husband: "Hey, honey, should we stop at the yellow arch logo next to the intersection?" 3yo: "Oh yeah! Go to McDonald's, Daddy, I want some french fries!!!"

*headdesk*

Pretty much this.

melb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melb

My son is 5 months old so I haven't had to worry about this yet, but it is something I can see us doing. As many have already mentioned, we do it now for the dog.

v6baby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages v6baby

Very rarely did I ever do this with my son.

The DOG on the other hand I do it for all the time. I can't talk about going outside or for a walk without her getting all excited.

davis918

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davis918

My kids can spell too fast at this point and it doesn't do any good for them. My dogs on the other hand....

kinnick40

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kinnick40

Started with the dog for things like 'walk', then she figured out what 'W-A-L-K' meant, so I switched to pig latin.... but I'm not very good at it, so I was mostly making up words to drive my husband crazy.

Now we have 18 month old twins and it's starting all over. Forget mentioning the name of most fruits or regular dinner is over. So now it's 'monkey food' for banana and 'it comes in a can' for peaches.

I'm dreading the day one of them blurts out 'what the F!'

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Doesnt work with the 9 year old, and losing it's effectiveness with the 5 year old.

Pig latin used to work on the oldest until he was about 7 .. of course, trying to talk about buying a Dale Earnhardt Race Car in pig latin is tough

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

I see no point in spelling out bad words. My Mother did that and it just seemed to make me want to say them more.

When I read storys I spell out small words and see if she can guess/sound them out.

Iisaic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Iisaic

We spell out sometimes for our dog, but I think he's been taking classes on spelling.

Iisaic