WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: When is the first day of Spring?
  • 6.7% - March 1st! I don’t care what the weather says, winter is OVER. 100
  • 50.6% - The Equinox. One simply doesn’t argue with the power of the planets. 750
  • 29.7% - The first day it’s sunny and I don’t need a jacket. It’s all about temperature. 440
  • 6.4% - The first time I see a flower. It’s all about ME! 95
  • 6.6% - I follow the Julian calendar so I have a lot of wiggle room on that. 98
1483 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

The crocuses started blooming last week. Flowers != spring in the Puget Sound where it's still dark and raining. At least the purple and yellow remind me color is to come.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Wait, isn't it still Fall?

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

bleumoon28415

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bleumoon28415

*Scribbles out "the planets" and writes in "axial tilt".

Much better!

johnnymercer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnymercer

March 20th, fools.

StarM

quality posts: 19 Private Messages StarM

Been Spring all winter here in S Texas -- first mosquito bit was in late January. Hammock never came down, and didn't have to pull out patio heater.

Lots of Winter Texans too.

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

spiralspeaker11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spiralspeaker11

NONE OF THE ABOVE!

Whichever calendar company started calling the quarters the "first day" of the season has my eternal ire. Check any ooooold calendar or almanac: the solstices and equinoxes mark the middle of the season (that's why they used to be called MIDsummer and MIDwinter). The cross quarters mark the transition between seasons. The first day of spring this year was February 3rd.

For more on this, Google "archaeoastronomy."

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

When daylight savings time starts. This year, March 10th.

a04971xx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a04971xx

I live in Minnesota, so I'm thinking around April 10.

rtfirefly

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rtfirefly
bleumoon28415 wrote:*Scribbles out "the planets" and writes in "axial tilt".

Much better!

I need a bumper sticker that says, "The 23° tilt in the Earth's axis is the reason for the season(s)."

And March is neither winter nor spring, at least here in the mid-Atlantic. It rarely snows in March, so it's not winter, but the grass isn't growing, the trees aren't leafing in, and you rarely get a day that makes you think it would be a waste to spend the day inside.

Instead, you get a lot of days where the high is 52°, the low is 35°, and more or less equal chances of its being sunny, overcast, or a cold rain.

I can say more positive things about any other month, including February which at least has the possibility of real snow, than about March.

Oh, and daylight savings time now comes way too early, plunging us back into morning darkness. The first Sunday after the Equinox would be about right.