WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

I'm often surprised by the things my son will and won't eat. When he was first starting solid foods, he loved avocado. Now he bats it away or spits it out. But then I made chicken enchiladas the other night. I always offer him a little of what I've made for us, just to see if he'll eat it. To my surprise, he gobbled up the chicken enchiladas with enthusiasm.

Though he definitely does have his favorites (I swear this kid would hock a kidney to score a banana), I'm fortunate in that he's a pretty good all-around eater. Still, I do on occasion find myself falling into the "short-order cook" category discussed in this article, "Feeding Toddlers: 8 Common Mistakes Parents Make."

So what about you? Do you have a picky eater on your hands? How do you handle it?

ezlyamused

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ezlyamused

Feed them what you eat. If they are hungry, they will eat at least some of it. We made a rule at my house that they can't say they don't like something unless they try it at least five different times. Kids, especially when toddler age, need to try something about 20 times before they might decide they like it. My kids are now 9 and 11 and the youngest was major picky when little, but learned to love trying new things. Both of them love Mexican and Indian foods and anything barbequed, and love to cook as well. I think exposing them to lots of things will lead to a healthier lifestyle as they grow older. Good luck!!

pitamuffin

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pitamuffin

When my oldest, now 14, was about 2, he loved capers! He'd eat all the capers on his plate, then ask for the ones on mine and then my husband's plate. Somehow he outgrew that and now won't go near them. So my husband and I finally get to eat capers again.

amynance

quality posts: 6 Private Messages amynance

Staff

pitamuffin wrote:When my oldest, now 14, was about 2, he loved capers! He'd eat all the capers on his plate, then ask for the ones on mine and then my husband's plate. Somehow he outgrew that and now won't go near them. So my husband and I finally get to eat capers again.

Mine is like that with black olives. I think it's so weird, but he loves them!