WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Be honest. Do you sometimes hide your kids’ especially annoying toys?
  • 50.6% - Duh. 720
  • 24.1% - Why? Is that wrong? 343
  • 25.4% - Of course not. Also, I’m lying. 361
1424 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Can someone explain to me what went so horribly wrong with this current generation of "parents"? They seem to think that lying, cheating, and stealing from their children is de rigueur! It's atrocious! :-(

Instead, why not take the opportunity to COMMUNICATE with your children and TEACH them something about respect for others? Perhaps point out that the "annoying toy" is annoying other people, and talk to them about how they would feel in the others' shoes. Let the kid make the decision to stop being annoying. Empower him as a kid, and raise a good, responsible, thoughtful, respectful human being.

But maybe that's too much to ask. And we wonder why Big Brother is encroaching ever further into our lives....

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3

Well, I guess for now I'm covered as far as electronics go, since I don't allow my kid to have any noise-making toy that hurts your ear if you hold it close to it... But I have no problem with taking a toy away if they're being annoying with it (like banging it on something), especially since I give a warning. I'm just mean like that.

tl;dr... I don't have to hide them because I take them right out of their annoying little hands.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
ckeilah wrote:Can someone explain to me what went so horribly wrong with this current generation of "parents"? They seem to think that lying, cheating, and stealing from their children is de rigueur! It's atrocious! :-(

Instead, why not take the opportunity to COMMUNICATE with your children and TEACH them something about respect for others? Perhaps point out that the "annoying toy" is annoying other people, and talk to them about how they would feel in the others' shoes. Let the kid make the decision to stop being annoying. Empower him as a kid, and raise a good, responsible, thoughtful, respectful human being.

But maybe that's too much to ask. And we wonder why Big Brother is encroaching ever further into our lives....

I suppose you were always told that Santa was real? Are you a parent? You can explain to kids over and over and over and they may not pick it up, just the same I'd LOVE to see you come "explain" away to my 20 month old and have him be "empowered". He has 3 older brothers and more toys than he could possibly play with, so when we are "hiding" his annoying toys (be that in the closet or at Goodwill), he has an abundance to play with. As the kids get older, their toys tend to get a bit less annoying, up to the teen years when their "toys" become the electronics that have ear buds that the only annoying part is they may not hear you. So to answer your question, probably the same thing that is wrong with know it alls on the interwebs that think they can go around telling people how to live their lives.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

amazonmama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amazonmama
SumDuud wrote:I suppose you were always told that Santa was real? Are you a parent? You can explain to kids over and over and over and they may not pick it up, just the same I'd LOVE to see you come "explain" away to my 20 month old and have him be "empowered". He has 3 older brothers and more toys than he could possibly play with, so when we are "hiding" his annoying toys (be that in the closet or at Goodwill), he has an abundance to play with. As the kids get older, their toys tend to get a bit less annoying, up to the teen years when their "toys" become the electronics that have ear buds that the only annoying part is they may not hear you. So to answer your question, probably the same thing that is wrong with know it alls on the interwebs that think they can go around telling people how to live their lives.

And with that, SumDuud wins the conversation. ;)

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
SumDuud wrote:I suppose you were always told that Santa was real? Are you a parent? You can explain to kids over and over and over and they may not pick it up, just the same I'd LOVE to see you come "explain" away to my 20 month old and have him be "empowered". He has 3 older brothers and more toys than he could possibly play with, so when we are "hiding" his annoying toys (be that in the closet or at Goodwill), he has an abundance to play with. As the kids get older, their toys tend to get a bit less annoying, up to the teen years when their "toys" become the electronics that have ear buds that the only annoying part is they may not hear you. So to answer your question, probably the same thing that is wrong with know it alls on the interwebs that think they can go around telling people how to live their lives.

I would say that explanation covers it! Thanks! I hide the annoying toys until my son is out of the house, and then box 'em up for donation. The annoying ones are usually the electronic same response to same action type of toy. They are not educationally helpful, as rather than encouraging and fostering independent growth in the child, and creativity as occurs with open ended toys.

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I don't hide them so much as help the kids put them away...basically in a place in their room they never think to go...the toy box.

And every 6 months we go through and do a room purge of at least one box of stuff to donate or toss.

The kids have more toys than they know what to do with, though probably fewer toys than I remember having. The biggest problem is that a lot of toys now require little imagination.

This coming from a mom who has a living room currently covered by 8x10 foot Thomas trackmaster track complete with Lincoln Log houses, and Hot Wheels transportation. Mix and Match. Just glad they left the Legos and Playmobile pirate ships put away.

deadeye37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages deadeye37

For me, there are 2 categories of annoying toys:

1) "swords" - any hard straight object that my son decides is a sword. I warn him to be careful and tell him he can't hit anyone or anything with it. First time he hits something, he gets a warning. Next time, a time out. Third time finds that item being taken away and hidden/thrown away.

2) Annoying toddler toys that are obnoxiously playing noises constantly. Those toys usually don't get hidden....the batteries do

Its a little hard to explain to your 18mo -3 yr old toddler that their favorite toy that makes noises whenever they even look at it is annoying everyone else. If the toy doesn't make noise anymore, problem solved!

amynance

quality posts: 6 Private Messages amynance

Staff

OH GOD! Santa's NOT real??? ;)

fallthrustardust

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fallthrustardust

Way to go! I agree, their "toddler" toys were much more annoying than the blocks and cars that more-so fill my house. I'm so glad they've grown out of all the old beeping toys.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle

I always boxed up unused toys. If the children played with them and I was stupid enough to buy something that I found annoying; then tough for myself and other adults in the family. That included 1 of my sons' full drum sets at age 8. He recently sold the set after asking if we minded to an older young adult who is a tad immature and is far from a drummer.

Sometimes we have to live with our own mistakes. Eventually they become someone elses problems.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Hide the toys all you want folks. As someone who had his mother hide his annoying toys from him as a child and had the same mother reprimand me and tell me how irresponsible I was for losing any of my toys, know that this can create a severe complex. One or the other; not both. Otherwise you are being inconsistent and selfish at the cost of your child.

I now have anxiety attacks whenever I lose things and have to obsessively look for them for hours on end until I find them. If there was a way to literally turn my house upside down to find things, I would do it.

Be forewarned: For every action (or inaction) one performs as a parent, there is an equal reaction to your checkbook to pay for therapy.

captain69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages captain69

That's it. You people cannot be trusted with your toys. We start by taking away your guns.... cars and TVs to follow! :-P