WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What’s the lowest acceptable grade in your house?
  • 6.8% - A+. No retreat, no surrender. 66
  • 12.4% - A-. Nobody’s totally perfect. 121
  • 43.5% - B. Every kid needs to slack off now and then. 423
  • 22.3% - C. Average is average. 217
  • 2.2% - D. I consider it a motivator so they HAVE to learn to study. 21
  • 0.9% - F. I just don’t care so much. 9
  • 11.8% - Present. As long as they just show up, I can’t get arrested! 115
972 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

likeaboss6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages likeaboss6

A+'es, and it sucked for me following my sister who ended up being on the deans list at UC Berkeley who got all A+'es in high school.

cebii

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cebii

My kids' school doesn't do grades. Instead of report cards, we get a narrative from each of their teachers explaining what they've learned, where they stand relative to grade level, their strengths and weaknesses, etc. It's a much better picture of where they stand academically.

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr

Sownds wundirfool! Ail'l bet evirewun their has hie selph isteme.

cebii wrote:My kids' school doesn't do grades. Instead of report cards, we get a narrative from each of their teachers explaining what they've learned, where they stand relative to grade level, their strengths and weaknesses, etc. It's a much better picture of where they stand academically.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Grades? What a joke. Grade inflation has made 5.7 averages just average. Overachievers have made it so that real grades don't exist.
The only important thing anyway, is to learn how to learn.

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr

Please define overachiever. Overachieving as in studying hard to make sure they learn the material and get the highest grade possible? Not every school operates with weighted GPAs either...

olperfesser wrote:Grades? What a joke. Grade inflation has made 5.7 averages just average. Overachievers have made it so that real grades don't exist.

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya
olperfesser wrote:Grades? What a joke. Grade inflation has made 5.7 averages just average. Overachievers have made it so that real grades don't exist.

I definitely agree. My lowest acceptable grade is a D *IF* you have really tried. Pushing homework aside to play xbox or hang with friends and then pulling D's isn't acceptable. But on that note, in this household, I am more concerned with the fact that you have learned something AND/OR that you know HOW to learn it. Not everyone learns the same way. Just throwing reading assignments and packets at kids doesn't TEACH them nor instill the desire to want to learn. My 16 year old's high school puts soooooooo much pressure on the kids that my previously straight A kid is getting mostly D's this term and I don't care at all (about the grade). He has pulled all nighters more than I care to count and dropped out of honors classes just to try to keep up. He doubts everything about himself now and is thinking his future is looking pretty bleak. I keep telling him that not everyone follows the golden path laid out for them and you have to find your own path. I want him to leave the school but he wants to stick out this school year. More and more, I think we will homeschool our youngest (three years old). How does a 7-8 hour school day, two hours after school looking for ANY teacher to help, and another 5+ hours of homework per night help anyone learn to love the learning process?

wootpapa

quality posts: 18 Private Messages wootpapa

How many states still use letter grades? Not many is my understanding.

All that matters now is the standardized test scores. I exclude my kids from testing because the tests are part of the dismantling of public education, not even used to gauge or improve my child's education. There are merely used as a gauge for when to begin withholding resources and funding from schools as they are inching forward to an impossible requirement of 100% proficiency among the student body.