WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Tegu Magnetic Blocks

Tegu is like a smarter, classier building block, only it also bolsters the Honduran economy. To be fair, it also helps the U.S. economy too. Possibly also the British economy. We don't really know how banking works any more. But we do love these Tegu blocks!
Tegu official site

Quality Posts

• (9:51 AM, 1/14/2013) jokofoto has great thoughts on Tegu.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Tegu vs. LEGO: GO!

I'm just hanging out, really.

jokofoto

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jokofoto
inkycatz wrote:Tegu vs. LEGO: GO!

I'm all about LEGO, but these Tegu blocks are tons of fun. I spent 2 hours yesterday building things with my 4 year old nephew.

We bought a couple sets during previous sales and I probably just went a bit overboard by ordering a 52 pc Jungle set, the pocket set with triangles, and both cars.

My son is only 8 months old so he's still in the destroy and eat phase with blocks , but I like playing with them.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

These look cool. What is the magnetic strength like for these?Is it likely a young one could pinch themselves between the magnets? Are they strong enough for that to be a concern?

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

Tegu blocks and whiskey stones, separated at birth?!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
nmchapma wrote:These look cool. What is the magnetic strength like for these?Is it likely a young one could pinch themselves between the magnets? Are they strong enough for that to be a concern?

After some asking around, we can share this assessment, straight from Tegu:
The magnets are stronger than the traditional refrigerator magnet. For example, you can toss a block close to a magnetic surface and the block will pull onto the surface. Furthermore, when you move a block within a half inch of another block you can often make them ‘magically connect’ because the magnetic forces will find one another. However, the pinching risk is very low because of the rounded corners and shapes of the blocks. When they come together, they naturally give around the edges such that fingers simply glide off.

I'm just hanging out, really.

tsukitensh

quality posts: 23 Private Messages tsukitensh
inkycatz wrote:After some asking around, we can share this assessment, straight from Tegu:
The magnets are stronger than the traditional refrigerator magnet. For example, you can toss a block close to a magnetic surface and the block will pull onto the surface. Furthermore, when you move a block within a half inch of another block you can often make them ‘magically connect’ because the magnetic forces will find one another. However, the pinching risk is very low because of the rounded corners and shapes of the blocks. When they come together, they naturally give around the edges such that fingers simply glide off.

I can vouch for this personally. We sell Tegu blocks at the store I work at, and have samples out that I've played with.

...on my break. Of course.

rascality

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rascality

Did I call it, or did I call it? I hope Geomag is next.

http://kids.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5302137

rascality wrote:
If I had that much money to blow on an all-ages magnetic toy, I'd get some of those fancy-ass Tegu wooden blocks. And we like the Geomag Gbaby stuff, which is plastic but priced lower and is great fun in the bath.