0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Gah! I need these! I mean, who cares if I'm in my late 30's and want to play with blocks that light up? Right? These look so awesome! I'm probably going to have dreams about them...must....buy...bye!~

psm321

quality posts: 21 Private Messages psm321

The fact that "Kids Only" is in the name of the product is stressing me out. What will happen if I use it? Is it a legal defense to say it's my "inner kid" using it?

tsukitensh

quality posts: 23 Private Messages tsukitensh

Cheaper than Legos, AND they light up? Sold!

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 24 Private Messages CuzzinMerl
baybei wrote:Gah! I need these! I mean, who cares if I'm in my late 30's and want to play with blocks that light up? Right? These look so awesome! I'm probably going to have dreams about them...must....buy...bye!~

Aren't you afraid of the choking hazard?

MissBehaving

quality posts: 12 Private Messages MissBehaving

Are these Lego compatible?

tsukitensh

psm321 wrote:The fact that "Kids Only" is in the name of the product is stressing me out. What will happen if I use it? Is it a legal defense to say it's my "inner kid" using it?

Probably not a legal defense. On the bright side, your prison will be made out of bricks that light up in a pleasing fashion.

...bright side? Get it? :D

tsukitensh

MissBehaving wrote:Are these Lego compatible?

The narrative blurb suggests they are. If they weren't, woot wouldn't have used Legos as an example.

billyverde

quality posts: 3 Private Messages billyverde

So it's like a cross between Legos and a Lite Brite?

cwolfpack3

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cwolfpack3

O M G!!! These are perfect for kids who have Cortical Vision Impairments!! They need exactly this kind of illuminated item against a black background to see things. I would think every vision impairment teacher in the USA will be snapping these up rather quickly at this price. Wow.

Thanks to Woot's big anniversary, I'm no longer a bee oh cee virgin. Woohoo!

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei
CuzzinMerl wrote:Aren't you afraid of the choking hazard?

Oh my goodness!~ I forgot all about the choking hazard! I hope I don't stick one in my mouth and accidentally choke on it!

eliz1138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eliz1138

The qvc crowd was not impressed...
http://www.qvc.com/Illumination-Table-Top-BlockBuilder-w-200-Multi-Color-Building-Blocks.product.T31258.html

I loathe most knock off Lego, but I am intrigued with transparent blocks.

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou
eliz1138 wrote:I loathe most knock off Lego, but I am intrigued with transparent blocks.

As am I!

LEGO bricks are as old as I am. Well, almost.

The first real LEGO brick was made in August 1958. I was 3 months old by then.

I'll be sitting on the fence, until tomorrow.

steve

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou
skou wrote:As am I!

LEGO bricks are as old as I am. Well, almost.

The first real LEGO brick was made in August 1958. I was 3 months old by then.

I'll be sitting on the fence, until tomorrow.

steve

Oops!

January 1958. I still had 6 months to go.

steve

Gladeye

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Gladeye
MissBehaving wrote:Are these Lego compatible?

I'm almost certain they are. For some reason, Lego doesn't have an exclusive copyright on their basic brick design anymore. Maybe the copyright ran out? That means anyone who wants to can make Lego compatible bricks. They'll always cost less, but the quality will also always be less. Megablocks can't compare. Who knows about these?

GGA1759

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GGA1759

You are never too old! I played with Lego's well into my 20's.

baybei wrote:Gah! I need these! I mean, who cares if I'm in my late 30's and want to play with blocks that light up? Right? These look so awesome! I'm probably going to have dreams about them...must....buy...bye!~

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear

Ok I confess Imma an Over Grown kid here esp when it comes to Legos . They have always fasintated me . esp.the basic brick sets lol . And what you can do with them
Can you imagine Using these On Chritmas to build your own tree lol. Im Sold !!!

Ok Lock me up in that Toy store 's jail. I admit I just bought 3 sets (blushes). Hey got to have something to do when the nets is down lol.

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear

Now now that is nothing to be ashameed of , Heck Im in my VERY late 40's and Im still a kid that refuses to grow up lol

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye

I'm in for at least one. Perfect timing Woot! since I was putting together a personalized storage/lego base container with some Halo themed block sets for my grandson's birthday. This should compliment that well.

pateli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pateli

in for one! looks like great fun for my 3 yr old granddaughter!

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
eliz1138 wrote:The qvc crowd was not impressed...
http://www.qvc.com/Illumination-Table-Top-BlockBuilder-w-200-Multi-Color-Building-Blocks.product.T31258.html

Consider the source though. Who shops on QVC? Apparently people who think that lego bricks are "too small" or whose grandchildren are only satisfied with expensive gifts.

hochspeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hochspeyer
GGA1759 wrote:You are never too old! I played with Lego's well into my 20's.

What is this "played with" you speak of? It sounds like you stopped using the most perfect toy ever created.

echonite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages echonite
Gladeye wrote:I'm almost certain they are. For some reason, Lego doesn't have an exclusive copyright on their basic brick design anymore. Maybe the copyright ran out? That means anyone who wants to can make Lego compatible bricks. They'll always cost less, but the quality will also always be less. Megablocks can't compare. Who knows about these?

Lego wasn't able to keep the copyright because Megablocks sued them under the claim that the brick design is a fundamental shape for designing the toy, so lego can not hold a monopoly on the design. Basically.

cluffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cluffy

I so wanted to be impressed by these, but the QVC video nonplussed me. Yeah, I know I used nonplussed wrong, but it's a stupid word in the first place!

meghano1989

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meghano1989

I bought 2. One for me and one for my niece when she's a bit older. Until then they're both mine.

patnkim1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patnkim1

Can more blocks be purchased separately somewhere?

emilyb0902

quality posts: 35 Private Messages emilyb0902
kmartind wrote:Consider the source though. Who shops on QVC? Apparently people who think that lego bricks are "too small" or whose grandchildren are only satisfied with expensive gifts.

And who have ungrateful grandchildren to boot, who when asked if they like a gift and want to keep it, will say "No (Grandmother it displeases me, remove it from my sight at once and never speak of it again).

wpegden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wpegden
echonite wrote:Lego wasn't able to keep the copyright because Megablocks sued them under the claim that the brick design is a fundamental shape for designing the toy, so lego can not hold a monopoly on the design. Basically.

I think the issue is that the blocks could of course have patent protection, which of course, would be long expired (patents having a term of <20 years). Lego tried to get around this by using a 2x3 lego as its "trademark", but in the end, it was ruled that doing so didn't prevent others from making the bricks in the same shape.

(It seems this is probably the only reasonable ruling; otherwise, you could always have an indefinite patent on an invention by using an instance of it as your trademark.)

kerrykazan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kerrykazan

In for 3. I was on the fence, until I read the description. I think they were writing about my Jake, I had to buy 3 at that point.

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione
tsukitensh wrote:Cheaper than Legos, AND they light up? Sold!

Well, not *that* much cheaper than Lego. Lego sets usually end up around 10 cents per brick (unless you're looking at the architecture set, which end up closer to 20 cents a brick).

At full price, these blocks are 20 cents per brick. Even at the Woot price, once you factor in shipping on one set, the price approaches that of a regular Lego set, closing in on 9 cents per brick.

Sounds like I need to get a set for me and a set for my nieces! That spreads the shipping cost and brings the price down further...

Oh, and while it's worth watching the QVC video, don't listen to what they're saying. It's like they've never heard of the word "translucent" and at one point they start talking about "1500 bricks." However, the video is helpful in showing the locations of the LEDs: you can clearly see that each of the buttons operates two rows of LEDs, giving six rows of LEDs in total.

framerqueen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages framerqueen

Youah nevah too old!!!

"Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."
--C.K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

Donner97

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Donner97

Are these the regular lego size, or the duplo size?

niftyfifty

quality posts: 14 Private Messages niftyfifty

If you go to QVC.com and type "table top block" into the search you can watch a video demo.....and yes, they make the point that they are Lego compatible. In for three. There are only three reviews and two are not against the product itself. One woman's grandson didn't want to play with them...so it may be the grandson? And the other lady complained about the small parts for a three year old...

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
psm321 wrote:The fact that "Kids Only" is in the name of the product is stressing me out. What will happen if I use it? Is it a legal defense to say it's my "inner kid" using it?

Kids Only is a division of Jakk's Pacific. The product home page is here, though its mainly lack of any real information except for the contact page.

niftyfifty

quality posts: 14 Private Messages niftyfifty

[quote postid="5309475" user="Donner97"]Are these the regular lego size, or the duplo size?[/quote

The video on QVC makes the point that they are lego compatible.

jonwhoa

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jonwhoa

Mmm. I'm a bit wary. I have had bad experiences with "Lego Compatible" bricks like Megablocks. However, these do look pretty fun considering how much fun I had with Lite Brites as a kid.

ariel234

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ariel234

I just bought some so that I can (um I mean my children) play with them.

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark
Gladeye wrote:Megablocks can't compare.

I agree wholeheartedly and our 5 year old had to learn this truth the hard way. He used Christmas money to buy Skylander MegaBlocks despite my warning that although they look like Legos they won't stay together like Legos.

After much frustration he finally got the set together, with it falling apart at least a dozen times while building it. When he finally got it to stay together he declared, "I'm never wasting my money on MegaBlocks again." Well said, son, well said.

kcmark

If you're a Lego fan, the one good thing about these is that if they truly suck, like MegaBlocks, they should be easy enough to identify even after mixing them in with your Legos given the translucency and colors. We have a lot of translucent Legos but very few of them are basic bricks and the ones that are basic bricks are old - what I had when I was a kid - and should be easy to distinguish from these.

There's nothing worse than building something and accidentally incorporating a crappy MegaBlock into the design which later makes it fall apart.

kcmark

Hmmm, if this is Block Set 2.0 I shudder to think what Block Set 1.0 looked like.