quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: A father calling a boy child "honey" is:
  • 44.2% - Never acceptable. 699
  • 40.3% - Okay, as long as the kid doesn't ask you to stop. 637
  • 13.7% - Always fine, no matter what the boy thinks. 216
  • 1.9% - Some other answer I'll expand on in the comments. 30
1582 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

It might be acceptable in certain circumstances, but I can't think of any off hand. It it would be weird, regardless.

mcden

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcden

One of the only things I liked about "Eat, Pray, Love"... the Brazilian father calling everyone (including teenaged son) "My darling". It's all cultural, my darlings!

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

While it might be considered a bit more of a feminine address, I see no issue with it, especially if the child doesn't mind it. I have 4 sons, I sometimes call the younger ones honey, though not very often.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

jlightner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlightner

it's an endearing response ... boys need love too ... give them a break before they blow something up!

fhrcreations75155

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fhrcreations75155

Okay..calling a boy child "honey" is acceptable when he is younger, but I gotta say that a father doing it seems a bit weird. I could never see my Dad calling me "honey", and I'm a girl. His names for us where "ace", "nimrod" and "hemorrhoid" (my personal favorite today). I preferred "ace" as a child. LOL

authentic325

quality posts: 0 Private Messages authentic325

Since one is there an issue with a parent expressing love to their child?! Is it better if the parent says "Hey"..? This is D: All of the above ; ) sorry...

authentic325

jlightner wrote:it's an endearing response ... boys need love too ... give them a break before they blow something up!

Amen to that! LOVE it's the new Black

authentic325

mcden wrote:One of the only things I liked about "Eat, Pray, Love"... the Brazilian father calling everyone (including teenaged son) "My darling". It's all cultural, my darlings!

YES! The USA as much as I LOVE my Country is a bit prehistoric sometimes!

CaviMike

quality posts: 6 Private Messages CaviMike

If a straight man says it, he's clearly closeted. This is only acceptable for a gay man to say to his son.

Personal info is personal.

kcarol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcarol

it's just a little weird. I'm a girl and my dad always called me Scooter or Goober or things along those lines. Never Honey.

rawski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rawski

It just makes the boy sound wimpy.

behappi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages behappi

I don't object.....but it sounds odd to me for a father to call his son or daughter "Honey".

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
jlightner wrote:it's an endearing response ... boys need love too ... give them a break before they blow something up!

Damn Cali tainted PCers! Y'all take all the fun out of being a boy. Go stick your tongue in a beehive, "Honey". Maybe the boys will come smoke the bees off you after they're done blowing some Brony up out on the back 40.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 89 Private Messages Thirdbase9

While the child is toddler that is fine, but as the child gets older it should stop.

I don't know.

balisane

quality posts: 16 Private Messages balisane

Can't imagine why it would be a problem. Parents call their kids all kinds of goofy-ass nicknames; as long as it's loving, who cares?

"Princess" might be a little bit of an issue. In public, anyway.

YOU SUCH A JOLLY MR. SNOWMAN
DANCE

bytewords

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bytewords

weirdest thread possible. i always make up names for everyone close, so i doubt it would have occurred to me to just use a normal term of endearment.

but i don't get it at all. what is so loaded about "honey"? maybe i *will* use it---if i have a son someday and still remember this thread. since we all know woot discussions are the center of the universe after all...

jasminedragn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasminedragn

I have 2 sons but they are both young. I think Honey is acceptable from a father figure at a young age, but eventually they will ask not to be called that and it should be respected. Better to be called 'Honey' than an expletive.

crystalrose629

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crystalrose629

I do call my son (I'm mommy though) honey. Usually daddy says it when he gets hurt and says "Aww honey" normally "buddy" is what flows. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with. It's better than being call "Hashtag"

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

I don't get how this is a problem. Where I'm from everyone calls everyone honey all the time. And sugar. And sweetie.

stiege

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stiege

Lovey. I call my 5 year old Lovey. Or tough guy, or Benji-man or dingus or whatever. Buddy a LOT. But never honey.

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3

You can call your kid anything you want, but I guarantee you that if dad calls son "honey" at school in front of peers, son will be made fun of. There comes a time in every child's life when trying not to be humiliated becomes much more important to them than you publicly expressing your love.

avi8or75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avi8or75

Its funny when Joe Jack from "King of the Hill" calls everyone "hunney", even Hank.

BigTopGt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BigTopGt

I call my son "honey" and "sweetheart" all the time.

Joeytdm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Joeytdm

Feel free to call your son anything you want, but don't be surprised when someone overreacts and calls child protective services when they think "honey" might be a little too questionable.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Can we just get back to blowing Brony up, please?

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4
thumperchick wrote:I don't get why there would be a problem?

So, if you were taking a stroll through your local shopping mall and you saw a mother and her cute little daughter in a pretty pink dress and the mother said, "Come on you big stud, mommy's waiting", you wouldn't think there is anything wrong with that?

Do you feel that it is as acceptable for mothers to masculinize their daughters as much as you believe its acceptable for fathers to feminize their sons?

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

Sheena3745

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Sheena3745
boomn4x4 wrote:So, if you were taking a stroll through your local shopping mall and you saw a mother and her cute little daughter in a pretty pink dress and the mother said, "Come on you big stud, mommy's waiting", you wouldn't think there is anything wrong with that?

Do you feel that it is as acceptable for mothers to masculinize their daughters as much as you believe its acceptable for fathers to feminize their sons?

Your ability to jump to over-the-top, worst-case-scenario, dirtiest-possible conclusions is well matched to Woot's question. I'm sorry both your worlds/thoughts are so bleak.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

No male should ever call another male honey except as an insult. Or if they're both gay. And in a relationship. Probably not even then.

There are plenty of other terms of endearment to choose from.