0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Fountain3586

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Fountain3586

Yes! My 20 month old can already text. Yea, I am not kidding. She can count to 10 also, but who's bragging.

Favorite Woots: The First Years miSwivel Feeding Chair, Kiddy Sport’n Move Stroller, Sacs of Life Insulator 4 Reusable Shopping Bags, Daiwa Golf Bag, Energizer Light on Demand Twin Light Center, Ooma Telo ViIP Home Phone System, and a Stainless Steel Designer 6 Ounce Flask.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

ATTENTION: Just for clarification..today's Kids.Woot sale
IS in fact the Nabi 2 model.

Jaxidian

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jaxidian

The folks at AndroidPolice have raved up and down about this tablet! They LOVE it!

Also, if you're an adult and into a little hacking, you can root it and install Gapps to it.

dcigary

quality posts: 11 Private Messages dcigary

Our son loves the one he got for Xmas! Got it for a little cheaper at Best Buy, but it was an exclusive sale, and this is a pretty good price on it.

For those interested:

* Yes, you can install other apps other than the ones from Nabi. Just install the Amazon.com or Google Play store apps.

* Yes, you can root this device. If you want to use the Google Play store app, you'll need to root it as it for some reason needs it.

* Yes, you can run other flavors on this. Pretty sure that Cyanogenmod has a build out for this device.

Like I said, our 5 year old son loves his, and it frees up Daddy's phone...

teknokill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages teknokill

The California Purchase is from me. This is a no-brainer. Great Deal without having to stand in line at Wal Mart. Same Specs as a Nexus 7 and with a bumper. I can now delete my daughter's kids apps from my Tablet. Hooray!!!....I love you Woot!

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

I won't believe it's really a NABI-2 until I see ThunderThighs. Did she get locked the shirt closet again?

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

ROGETRAY

Staff

neuropsychosocial wrote:I won't believe it's really a NABI-2 until I see ThunderThighs. Did she get locked the shirt closet again?

HAHAHA. No she's out for the evening. But I have it on high authority that everything is kosher for today's sale

jeeperwoot

quality posts: 29 Private Messages jeeperwoot
neuropsychosocial wrote:I won't believe it's really a NABI-2 until I see ThunderThighs. Did she get locked the shirt closet again?

but it went so well last time.

thumperchick

quality posts: 249 Private Messages thumperchick

Are. You. SURE?!?!?

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

One of my customers runs a daycare and has several of these. They really do stand up to the abuse of every day kid use.

ROGETRAY

Staff

rjames

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rjames

Son got this for Christmas and we took it back after only a day. It was a bit clunky, the apps crashed frequently and then we found out the educational apps that are pre-installed can only be used with a paid subscription!

We got a kindle fire for the same price and now use Amazon's "Free Time" app (also paid subscription, but very cheap) for parental controls. Super happy with our decision to switch.

teknokill

rjames wrote:Son got this for Christmas and we took it back after only a day. It was a bit clunky, the apps crashed frequently and then we found out the educational apps that are pre-installed can only be used with a paid subscription!

We got a kindle fire for the same price and now use Amazon's "Free Time" app (also paid subscription, but very cheap) for parental controls. Super happy with our decision to switch.

Clunky on a Tegra 3? If the pre-installed apps are too clunky, I'll just install the best Kids App on Google play, "Kids Mode." Install my $50.00 dollars of apps and a few dollars at Amazon App Store and run my own Kid's Mode interface. My almost 3 year old loves the animal apps and constructs letters and associates words with different letters. Also, I can take this out to a restaurant and keep my Kid entertained and educated at the same time, without the chance of her dropping my Nexus 7, which she has done twice. Once on a rug and another on sidewalk-slipped out of the case. With JellyBean this will be "buttery smooth" and I won't be locked down to the Amazon ecosystem.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 45 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

My little girl already has free access to an iPad, so anything else would most likely be a disappointment. We've also got an HP Touchpad (fire sale!) with android 4 on it, and an iPad Mini, so the whole family can be glued to a tablet. You should when the family gets together and the brother in laws bring their kids along with plenty of iPads and iPhones. Everybody is sitting on couches with something in their hand. Welcome to the future.

Headrow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Headrow

We bought our kids the Nabi 2 on a giant sale on black Friday and everyone in the family loves it. Because it's Android, there are tons of free apps. I think I've paid for maybe 3 total so far.

There are a couple of quirks about this tablet that make it odd and even a little frustrating when you first start using it (it took me a while to figure out how to turn the darn thing on and how to use the sleep function of the power button - it has to do with how long you hold down the button, and there are still a few things on the various screens that I'm not sure how to work around), but the nabi community is vocal and actually helpful.

I totally steal this to check facebook and watch netflix, but the real owner of this thing is our 2-year-old. I wish I had the $150 to buy another one...

bringitonhome

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bringitonhome

My 4.5-year-old got this for Christmas. Doesn't supplant his keen interest in the Wii Lego games when at home, but he will joyfully busy himself with this while we're doing tedious errands, making them far more enjoyable for all involved. I am also loving the Chores & associated Treasure Box features. He is all about earning Nabi coins by being polite, sharing with others, picking up toys--whatever has been challenging for us, I can add to the list and choose how many coins to allot for performing the behavior on a given day. All hail the power of the Nabi Coin incentive!

In addition, while I purchased this in part to get my phone back from my son, I wound up being so impressed with it that I decided to buy myself a Nexus 7 so I wouldn't use his so much!

I think it's a great little device and am completely satisfied with the purchase. Looking forward to more acessories becoming available.

mtnhrdgr2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtnhrdgr2
dcigary wrote:

For those interested:

* Yes, you can install other apps other than the ones from Nabi. Just install the Amazon.com or Google Play store apps.

* Yes, you can root this device. If you want to use the Google Play store app, you'll need to root it as it for some reason needs it.

Sorry. Can you please clarify/confirm:

This does NOT need to be rooted in order to install apps from the google play store (directly from the google play website)?

This DOES need to be rooted in order to install the google play app?

Thanks in advance.

clickitystix1403

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clickitystix1403

Gotta wait till morning to buy this one. Wanting to learn a bit more about the NABI-2, I did a search and found this article that compares a few of the tablets geared for kids against the NABI-2. If you are considering buying this tablet, it may be worth reading this article link.http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/12/nabi2-kids-tablets/
I hope 1 is still avalable in the morning when my paycheck shows up in the bank account...Woot if you are reading this, feel free to hold one for me! I'll be back to pay in a few hours

clickitystix1403

Fountain3586 wrote:Yes! My 20 month old can already text. Yea, I am not kidding. She can count to 10 also, but who's bragging.

What is the point? Or did you just need a venue to boast?

ROGETRAY

Staff

clickitystix1403 wrote:Gotta wait till morning to buy this one. Wanting to learn a bit more about the NABI-2, I did a search and found this article that compares a few of the tablets geared for kids against the NABI-2. If you are considering buying this tablet, it may be worth reading this article link.http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/12/nabi2-kids-tablets/
I hope 1 is still avalable in the morning when my paycheck shows up in the bank account...Woot if you are reading this, feel free to hold one for me! I'll be back to pay in a few hours

I put your name on one in the warehouse...but I can't promise that anyone is going to see it...the sticky note isn't as sticky as sticky notes should be...

pshipley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pshipley

I've bought the Samsung 7 inch and Vizio here in the last few months for my kids.

This product is cheaper has better specs and can potentially save me the headache of locking down/child proofing the other tablets.

I'm thinking of getting 1 of these as a spare

pshipley

dcigary wrote:Our son loves the one he got for Xmas! Got it for a little cheaper at Best Buy, but it was an exclusive sale, and this is a pretty good price on it.

For those interested:

* Yes, you can run other flavors on this. Pretty sure that Cyanogenmod has a build out for this device.

Like I said, our 5 year old son loves his, and it frees up Daddy's phone...

I notice there's no GPS, while I child does not need this it comes in useful when "low jacking" the device.

BTW : I have Cerberus install on my tablets, and while it is meant as an anti theft at I find it very useful for remote locking down a tablet when my son won't stop playing with it and is very usefulfor locating misplaced tablets in the house

teknokill

pshipley wrote:I notice there's no GPS, while I child does not need this it comes in useful when "low jacking" the device.

BTW : I have Cerberus install on my tablets, and while it is meant as an anti theft at I find it very useful for remote locking down a tablet when my son won't stop playing with it and is very usefulfor locating misplaced tablets in the house

Download Kids Mode from Google play store. It has a built in timer and Kids can't navigate away from your preselected apps without knowing your key code that the program allows you to create. I gave Kid Mode 5 stars and a raving review in the Play Store. I highly recommend it. This item goes for $199.99 everywhere and you can't get a used one/unopened one at this price on EBAY. It will definitely sell out.

teknokill

Correction, this has ICS. This Kids tablet in Mommy mode has better specs than most of the tablets out today. The Nexus and the Kindle Fire beats it specwise, but that's about it in the 7 inch variety tablet. Remember when you go with Amazon, your limited in Apps for people who don't root their device. This device is begging to be hacked, I say this is sold out by 11:00 P.S.T. tomorrow.

pshipley

teknokill wrote:Download Kids Mode from Google play store. It has a built in timer and Kids can't navigate away from your preselected apps without knowing your key code that the program allows you to create. I gave Kid Mode 5 stars and a raving review in the Play Store. I highly recommend it. This item goes for $199.99 everywhere and you can't get a used one/unopened one at this price on EBAY. It will definitely sell out.

I use that on my kids tablets, while useful it does have limits. It also kills off white listed apps when they pop ads

It also lacks remote configuration

GRobl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GRobl
mtnhrdgr2 wrote:Sorry. Can you please clarify/confirm:

This does NOT need to be rooted in order to install apps from the google play store (directly from the google play website)?

This DOES need to be rooted in order to install the google play app?

Thanks in advance.

I have a Nabi2 and gapps and I am NOT rooted.

SandmanXP

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SandmanXP

Got the LeapPad2 two for Thing2 at Xmas before seeing the Nabi2. Played with a Nabi2 briefly recently and was impressed, but didn't really have a chance to dig into it. The Woot deal is tempting, but the 'most helpful critical review' on Amazon is enough to make me hold off. http://www.amazon.com/review/R1SQDWA9V48C2X/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R1SQDWA9V48C2X

fenderhutz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fenderhutz

This tablet has MAJOR issues. Things like screen going white, unit dying, as well as the charger end breaking after minimal use. Very poor design.

Their Facebook page is getting slammed with failures and the hold time to speak with customer service was 1-2 hours.

Former owner of one and 16 year IT pro.

fenderhutz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fenderhutz
GRobl wrote:I have a Nabi2 and gapps and I am NOT rooted.

You can download the google play store, but not games. Only music etc. Nabi support confirms this.

swhcadguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swhcadguy

Hey they got it listed correctly this time!

When you receive your purchase be sure to check us out on Facebook for any support issues you might run into.

https://www.facebook.com/nabitablet

You can also check out my blog at Everything Nabi!
http://everythingnabi.blogspot.ca/

To get you started here are some setup tips.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=189730854484795&id=443803225641724

Cheers!
Fan-a-Tech Scott

swhcadguy

fenderhutz wrote:You can download the google play store, but not games. Only music etc. Nabi support confirms this.

To clarify you can install Google Play Store on the tablet without illegally rooting and voiding your warranty, but it has some restrictions. Everything is spelled out here in my blog post.

http://everythingnabi.blogspot.ca/2012/08/googlie-booglie.html

If you already have another Android device with Google Play Store on it, then you can easily sideload apps onto the nabi 2 Tablet.

Android 4.0+
http://everythingnabi.blogspot.ca/2012/10/airdroid-is-slamdunk.html

Android 2.2 or 2.3
http://everythingnabi.blogspot.ca/2012/08/backing-up-with-google-drive.html

Fuhu is working with Google to become authorized to install Google Play Store on the nabi 2 Tablet.

Cheers!
Fan-a-Tech Scott

swhcadguy

fenderhutz wrote:This tablet has MAJOR issues. Things like screen going white, unit dying, as well as the charger end breaking after minimal use. Very poor design.

Their Facebook page is getting slammed with failures and the hold time to speak with customer service was 1-2 hours.

To clarify, the nabi Tablet Facebook page is used for technical support assistance, which co-ordinates quick responses and assistance from nabi Cares Support, Fan-a-Techs (volunteer parents) and the rest of the nabi Tablet Facebook community.

So if you see a lot of issue there then you might want to consider this is where they get dealt with. Fuhu stands behind their product 100% and if you run into any problem they will help you through it by replacing the charger that your 3 year old child broke because they removed it instead of you.

OTA updates resolve most of the other issues you have mentioned and if they don't Fuhu replaces the tablet.

'Nuff Said!

Fan-a-Tech Scott

ashvid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashvid
fenderhutz wrote:

To be fair 90% of the "slamming" is from moms asking very general questions and there is likely a lot of user error. My wife is smart but she's gets lost on tech. I suspect they sold 1000s of these over Christmas and are having a hard time keeping up with support.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I would chime in on some pro/con things, but since it's sold out, I won't.

move along

swhcadguy

SandmanXP wrote:Got the LeapPad2 two for Thing2 at Xmas before seeing the Nabi2. Played with a Nabi2 briefly recently and was impressed, but didn't really have a chance to dig into it. The Woot deal is tempting, but the 'most helpful critical review' on Amazon is enough to make me hold off. http://www.amazon.com/review/R1SQDWA9V48C2X/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R1SQDWA9V48C2X

I think the conclusion to this post speaks for itself. The kid loves the tablet, even though the mother has some opinions that aren't quiet true.

Here are some clarifications to the post.

BUGGY PERFORMANCE:
Freezing is typically due to either not having updated to any of the OTA updates. Fuhu has released 3 since the tablet started selling. This include enhancements, additions and fixes. Second various 3rd party apps cause freezing. Fuhu cannot control what people install on the tablet, some apps are not compatible with either the OS or hardware. ie. Yesterday's Amazon Free App of the Day installed, launched but never loaded. That's an app issue not a tablet one.

3RD PARTY MARKETS:
First no kids tablet on the market is currently authorized by Google to include Google Play or the Google Apps. All Google Apps can be installed on the tablet with limited Google Play Store functionality.
http://everythingnabi.blogspot.ca/2012/08/googlie-booglie.html

Alternatively if you own another Android device with Google Play Store on it you can easily sideload apps onto the nabi 2 Tablet.

Android 4.0+
http://everythingnabi.blogspot.ca/2012/10/airdroid-is-slamdunk.html

Android 2.2 or 2.3
http://everythingnabi.blogspot.ca/2012/08/backing-up-with-google-drive.html

As for not being able to install Netflix. It's right there for free through the Amazon Appstore. Not sure why she wasn't able to find it.
http://www.amazon.com/Netflix-Inc/dp/B005ZXWMUS

Canadian and Irish parents can easily install free apps from the Amazon.com Appstore by following steps outlined in this post.
http://everythingnabi.blogspot.ca/2012/10/amazing-free-apps-for-rest-of-world.html

PRELOADED CONTENT:
Here's a link to the preloaded content on the tablet. While there are a number of demo apps, there are apps only available on the nabi 2 Tablet.
http://www.nabitablet.com/support/article/what-apps-come-preloaded-nabi-2

Clicking on the Apps option from the FAQs Support page will provide you with a better understanding of what is available.
http://www.nabitablet.com/support/product/nabi2

INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT WITHIN SOME APPS:

Parents need to do their due diligence when installing apps from 3rd Party markets. Test the app in nabi Mode before you give it tou your child. If it contains things you don't like, uninstall it.

While Fuhu provides the nabi App Zone which contains parent and kid approved apps, you are free to add other markets including the Amazon Appstore, 1Mobile, etc.

Free apps for the most part come with advertising, that's why they are free.

Fuhu's nabi Mode prevents most ads from being accessed, though there are some that they just can't deal with unless they are pointed out to Engineering.

The reviewer calls out the Netflix app, that she wasn't able to install in the previous comments. Anyway this is an app issue, as Netflix has not enabled a kid-friendly option in the Android app. You currently have to switch your entire account to be kid-friendly in order to address this. Again not an actual tablet issue.

REAR FACING CAMERA:
Yep it doesn't have one. That's covered in the specs though.

NO STYLUS:
Yep you can get a pack of 10 for $3.00 on Amazon.

BATTERY LIFE:
One of the recent OTA updates included an enhancement/fix that increased battery life to over 7 hours. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410515,00.asp
Battery life also depends on various settings and what apps are being used etc. So it will obviously vary from user to user.

BUMPER:
I believe the drop test prove that the bumper works. Do any tablets come with screen protectors? No.

SCREEN ANGLE VIEWING:
This is somewhat of a deficiency, but using it day in and out, it is not one I notice as significant.

ACCESSORIES:
Accessories are always optional. Fuhu believes in providing quality products rather than cheap ones. Their fine with you going and spending $10 on headphones, but they value their brand and are selling these. https://store.nabitablet.com/nabi/accessories/HEADPHONE-00-FA12.html

The charger kit mentioned allows you to use it in the car and as a wall charger, it comes with a 9' cord and carrying case. https://store.nabitablet.com/nabi/accessories/CHARGERKIT-02-FA12.html

Hope this clarify's some of this reviewers points and points out many inaccuracies.

Cheers!
Fan-a-Tech Scott

swhcadguy

ashvid wrote:To be fair 90% of the "slamming" is from moms asking very general questions and there is likely a lot of user error. My wife is smart but she's gets lost on tech. I suspect they sold 1000s of these over Christmas and are having a hard time keeping up with support.

Exactly! Though your sales figure is extremely off.

Fan-a-Tech Scott

afrosupreme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages afrosupreme

Curious since I don't see it posted. What was the price on this?

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
afrosupreme wrote:Curious since I don't see it posted. What was the price on this?

$149.

@Fan-a-tech Scott: What's the story on the "removing the grid system voids the warranty". It seems extremely arbitrary to void the whole warranty for a screwed on piece of superfluous plastic. I've seen quite a few folks on XDA remove it since the grid system is heavy and not very desirable for older kids.

move along

clickitystix1403

j5 wrote:I would chime in on some pro/con things, but since it's sold out, I won't.

I would like it if you would "chime in". I am in the process of buying one, and would like to hear what you have to add...