1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Any Brainy Baby graduates in the audience?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

MorganSS

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MorganSS
ThunderThighs wrote:Any Brainy Baby graduates in the audience?

I was hoping they were all 10 bucks, and not 10 bucks each. Ill have to pass but this is something Im trying to find my kiddo.

jamieinoc

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jamieinoc

I'm concerned about the advent of these DVDs geared at babies. Research has shown that nothing can beat reading and human interaction for learning and that DVD series like this cause no measurable improvement in the baby's intellectual development and may actually hurt the baby's development.

I urge all parents to skip the DVDs and instead read and interact with their very young children.

Fountain3586

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Fountain3586
jamieinoc wrote:I'm concerned about the advent of these DVDs geared at babies. Research has shown that nothing can beat reading and human interaction for learning and that DVD series like this cause no measurable improvement in the baby's intellectual development and may actually hurt the baby's development.

I urge all parents to skip the DVDs and instead read and interact with their very young children.

Agreed.

Favorite Woots: The First Years miSwivel Feeding Chair, Kiddy Sport’n Move Stroller, Sacs of Life Insulator 4 Reusable Shopping Bags, Daiwa Golf Bag, Energizer Light on Demand Twin Light Center, Ooma Telo ViIP Home Phone System, and a Stainless Steel Designer 6 Ounce Flask.

MorganSS

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MorganSS
jamieinoc wrote:I'm concerned about the advent of these DVDs geared at babies. Research has shown that nothing can beat reading and human interaction for learning and that DVD series like this cause no measurable improvement in the baby's intellectual development and may actually hurt the baby's development.

well of course that is preferred. what Im looking for is just some basic flashcards, some musical stuff. Lots of hands on interaction. Plopping a kid down in front of a DVR does nothing but buy the parent time. As a parent sometimes the freaking dishes need to get done! LOL

karamel2003

quality posts: 1 Private Messages karamel2003

I'm an ESL K-8 teacher and I bought three of these back when there was a Woot! Off. I bought them for my ESL Kindergartners and boy are they helpful. They watched the animals DVD and loved shouting out the names of the animals they knew and learning about new ones. The flashcards are good quality with bright pictures. Don't be fooled by the "baby" moniker. If you use these right, they can be used up to 1st grade.

felisha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages felisha

Thank you for your insight. Really appreciate this as I was on the fence about these. They do seem like a good deal as the DVDs alone are more than the asking price here. I love the fact that these sets include book, flash cards and DVD together.

karamel2003 wrote:I'm an ESL K-8 teacher and I bought three of these back when there was a Woot! Off. I bought them for my ESL Kindergartners and boy are they helpful. They watched the animals DVD and loved shouting out the names of the animals they knew and learning about new ones. The flashcards are good quality with bright pictures. Don't be fooled by the "baby" moniker. If you use these right, they can be used up to 1st grade.

boroughf

quality posts: 6 Private Messages boroughf

I bought all 4 of these for my 18 month old last time they were on Woot!. I have.not used the DVDs yet, but he LOVES the flashcards. He has learned so much. If we put down a few animal cards on the floor and ask which is a specific animal, he gets it right. Even with "not normal" ones like aardvark.
I'm going to pick up more for gifts.

cbtruth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbtruth

I couldn't disagree more. I used to have the same concerns but my daughter just turned one this week and her doctor has been telling us she was advanced since month five. She's even learned certain signs already by watching a baby sign language DVD. The problem with the types of studies you reference is no two individuals' brains work the same so you can't cast such a wide net.

That said, we do a lot of reading and singing and started using flash cards, but mixing in educational DVDs should not be a concern as long as babies are also getting the one on one human interaction as well. It's like eating a balanced diet.