WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Woodstock Instruments

Woodstock. The pinnacle of filthy revelers and awesome music, being poorly imitated to this day everywhere from Sasquatch to Coachella. But the most important part was the music. Set your kids off in Hendrix's footsteps by starting them young, and letting them grow their afros as big as they like.
Woodstock Instruments official site

Quality Posts

echofuzz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages echofuzz

any information on where these are made?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
echofuzz wrote:any information on where these are made?

We'll ask!

The holidays seem to be a great time for breaking out the musical instruments - what do you all think of that guitar?

I'm just hanging out, really.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

The gathering drum looks like fun!

Five-star reviews on Amazon, and only $86.63

------------------
I Bet on Sky

hamlet422

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hamlet422

I have the Chimalong XR. As a musician, I chose it for my kids because it's got a really gorgeous tone, as opposed to most of the unpleasant or unpitched sounds marketed as "musical instruments" for the small crowd. Woodstock makes high-end wind chimes, and this is basically a bunch of wind chime tubes that you can play with mallets. The sound is resonant and pure. Their customer service is great too; I got picky about some kind of imperfection creating a slight "wow-wow" in the pitch of the lowest tube; I talked to a real person and they mailed me a new one.

Their own demo video has such bad audio that you can't get a good sense of the tone (http://youtu.be/pLmj9ZHqH3A), but this action shot is better: http://youtu.be/Lgp9IfDfHbg

inkycatz

miken927 wrote:The gathering drum looks like fun!

That's a huge drum! Gather all ye babies!

inkycatz

echofuzz wrote:any information on where these are made?

They are made in China.

leduke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leduke

Found some mixed reviews of the individual components:

Accordion

Ukelele

Mini Chimalong

jeremy77

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jeremy77

We don't have the Remo Gathering Drum, but we have the Remo Djembe from the same series and my son, three years old, loves it. It's very well made and sounds surprisingly good. This big drum is tempting.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

The occupational therapist (for children) at Kaiser has the gathering drum. It's a high quality drum and it really sounds fantastic. My daughter didn't really care to drum on it, but I sure did! Totally sounds like something headhunters would be playing as they're lighting the fire below the spit that you're tied to. I seriously want it. Don't think I'll be able to talk my wife into getting it, though, especially since she bought me a snare cajon drum for Christmas. Honestly, though, that gathering drum has been on my mind for the past couple of years. I actually just thought about it this past week, even. Maybe, I can convince my wife that it'll be good for our daughter.

I found this drum cheaper on eBay, by the way, AND with free shipping. And even cheaper than that at American Music Supply (also with free shipping): http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-REM-KD582201-LIST?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CJSH_87tqrQCFcN_Qgod2zAA6g

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

Also, the picture may be wrong for this drum. It looks like the 22" has a scalloped bottom side, as seen here on Amazon (for $86 and change, no less...): http://www.amazon.com/Remo-Kids-Gathering-Drum-KD-5822-01/dp/B00000IS02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356070965&sr=8-1&keywords=remo+gathering+drum

The picture here might be for the 16" version, or perhaps an older version? The ones on ebay for $94.99 show the scalloped bottom, but the one for $92.99 shows the bottom like Woots and it has the same part number as the scalloped ones.

seattlekleins

quality posts: 8 Private Messages seattlekleins

My son played with almost all of these at his 2 y/o music classes at Gymboree. They all sounded quite nice (drums & chimes particularly). They also get major durability points for surviving countless toddlers jamming away. Good buy.

gwartnet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gwartnet

The "View this product video to see a demo" links all seem to point to a lightsaber flashlight battle.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gwartnet wrote:The "View this product video to see a demo" links all seem to point to a lightsaber flashlight battle.

Whoops, see what you mean on the Lollipop drum and guitar. I've reported that for a fix. (Update: They're fixed)

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

nicoble

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nicoble

The highlights for us would be the ukulele, acordion and the chimes. But over the years I have learned that even preschoolers can tell a cheap instrument from a good one - if you have the money consider going up one notch in quality. Maybe only buy one good instument than a box full of toys. Our preschooler has a blast with her large chime - it is one of the larger ones that this company makes.