3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Any comments from those that bought this last time?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ivegotayen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ivegotayen

This is like the 4th time these have been for sale in the past week. At least it seems that way.

ThunderThighs

Staff

ivegotayen wrote:This is like the 4th time these have been for sale in the past week. At least it seems that way.

We're waiting for you to buy one!

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Crombie

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Crombie

Last year we bought our grandkids (3 and 5) a large Hexbug set for Christmas from Costco (this set did not glow-in-the-dark) and they have loved them. They do go through button batteries so I found a source on-line and ordered them in quantity. My daughter uses them as a reward toy - if they go through the day without fighting or throwing a tantrum, they are allowed to play with them an hour at night.

idealreptiles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages idealreptiles

My three year old keeps begging for these things
She saw them on TV. She loves Bugs and Hexagons... Well, Octagons but close enough
But I have no clue what the heck these do?
Glows: always cool
HexBugs: not so cool?

Anyone actually have something good to say about these?
soon to be on the island of misfit toys along with my old Pogs...

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
idealreptiles wrote:My three year old keeps begging for these things
She saw them on TV. She loves Bugs and Hexagons... Well, Octagons but close enough
But I have no clue what the heck these do?
Glows: always cool
HexBugs: not so cool?

Anyone actually have something good to say about these?
soon to be on the island of misfit toys along with my old Pogs...

I want to say this is the third season they have marketed these (not necessarily the glow in the dark ones but hexbugs in general) - usually toys like this don't have that kind of staying power so apparently kids like them well enough. My experience with them is that they are fun for about 10-15 minutes then get old real quick. If the kids are responsible to put them up (don't loose them) they will take them out on occasion and still get some use, but they are not as played with as much as toys like Beyblade.

If you get some of these, be sure to pick up some replacement batteries from Amazon. You will get ripped paying $5 for two of them at a retail, but you can get 50 batteries for $3.99 shipped from Amazon.

theguruguys

For those of you who want to spend a bit of fun educational / building time with your kids try building your own bristle bot with them. (TIP: you can get the tootbrush and other supplies for $1 each at most Dollar Tree / 99Cent only stores).

If you are more of the evil scientist type, how about a LARGE bristlebot:

Evil Mad Scientist has instructions to make your own smaller sized bristle bot as well.

namzaps

quality posts: 6 Private Messages namzaps
theguruguys wrote:
If you get some of these, be sure to pick up some replacement batteries from Amazon. You will get ripped paying $5 for two of them at a retail, but you can get 50 batteries for $3.99 shipped from Amazon.

That is a great suggestion on the batteries - just be careful which ones you get. A lot of reviewers talk about the batteries exploding - which is not a good thing for a hands-on children's toy.

-JCH

baronz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages baronz

I got this deal last time. Here are my observations:

1. This is a woot exclusive. You won't find this glow-in-the dark version for sale ANYWHERE else.

2. It doesn't have retail packaging. It just comes in a cardboard box. (Not a big deal, but a little less christmas sparkle)

3. It only comes with one bug. (The specs say that, but I'm repeating it -- Get at least one more bug from a store)

All in all, I like this kit, and I'm glad I got it. I have other hex bug stuff, and this kit folds up nicely and can get put away fast. I'm excited for my son to open it in a week.

Nesher

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Nesher

Can the HexBugs climb up the ramp?

salia000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages salia000
baronz wrote:I got this deal last time. Here are my observations:

1. This is a woot exclusive. You won't find this glow-in-the dark version for sale ANYWHERE else.

2. It doesn't have retail packaging. It just comes in a cardboard box. (Not a big deal, but a little less christmas sparkle)

3. It only comes with one bug. (The specs say that, but I'm repeating it -- Get at least one more bug from a store)

All in all, I like this kit, and I'm glad I got it. I have other hex bug stuff, and this kit folds up nicely and can get put away fast. I'm excited for my son to open it in a week.

It's good that you mentioned that it doesn't come with retail packaging.

I didn't know that when I bought two of them the last. One is for my son for Christmas and I was going to give the other away as a birthday gift.
I didn't think the packaging was gift worthy. I'll probably just keep both for my son.
It would have been nice if they stated that on the description for the product.

namzaps

quality posts: 6 Private Messages namzaps
Nesher wrote:Can the HexBugs climb up the ramp?

Yup. They climb, they fall off, they climb back up. This kit connects to other hexbug stuff like the battlezone too.

As for the retail packaging - that is true - although a perfect thing for Santa to leave.

-JCH

empathy4u

quality posts: 2 Private Messages empathy4u
ThunderThighs wrote:Any comments from those that bought this last time?

The toys great.

They came in plain brown boxes with a small white sticker to identify them. No retail packaging, which might bother some. I just considered that a bonus. My favorite part of getting a gift is the anticipation, so anything that drags out the discovery is good.

I tend to double box gifts to obscure the contents. A video game goes in a cracker box, for example.

I pulled off the sticker and wrapped them up. Now the kids won't have a clue until they start pulling the thing out.

babalouie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages babalouie

Will this set connect to other habitats?

mflatau

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mflatau

My son loves the hexbugs and is 18 months. We have let him chase it around on the floor since he was 10 months (with supervision) It helped him learn how to crawl, grasp, and he giggles every time he sees it. We do currently have one MIA behind the fridge, but I would recommend these for kids of all ages. Me and my husband also like to play with them.

mflatau

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mflatau
babalouie wrote:Will this set connect to other habitats?

Yes, you can hook it up to other sets.

ThunderThighs

Staff

FYI on the packaging: This was a set put together specially for Woot. There is no retail packaging because it's not available in retail stores.

But yeah, we should let you know that. I'll pass it on.

FORUM MODERATOR

coleoptera1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coleoptera1

For what it's worth, my son is 10 and he loves Hex Bugs too. When he asked for them last year I assumed it would be a fad and we'd be finding a good home for them this year. But that's not the case. Whenever we go somewhere, he brings these along, and typically any boys around join in the play. If you have a kid who likes to play with cars or action figures then I think they will enjoy these, whether they are 5 or 10 years old.

rrussell

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rrussell
theguruguys wrote:For those of you who want to spend a bit of fun educational / building time with your kids try building your own bristle bot with them. (TIP: you can get the tootbrush and other supplies for $1 each at most Dollar Tree / 99Cent only stores).

If you are more of the evil scientist type, how about a LARGE bristlebot:

Evil Mad Scientist has instructions to make your own smaller sized bristle bot as well.

Holy gift that's loud.

(Cool, though.)

Kuntaldaftary

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Kuntaldaftary

http://www.amazon.com/Innovation-First-Labs-Inc-440-1435/dp/B003IT5NHK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=GFBMUJC02OFU&coliid=IV4PDMDXGWFNJ

I found this deal on amazon. How is the woot HEXBUG better than the one in the link?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Kuntaldaftary wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Innovation-First-Labs-Inc-440-1435/dp/B003IT5NHK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=GFBMUJC02OFU&coliid=IV4PDMDXGWFNJ

I found this deal on amazon. How is the woot HEXBUG better than the one in the link?

This was a set put together specially for Woot so you won't find it anywhere else.

I'm just hanging out, really.

lyracole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lyracole

my kid wants 3 of this exact set, so i bought 3. happy i can make him happy without totally busting the bank!

kbos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbos
Kuntaldaftary wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Innovation-First-Labs-Inc-440-1435/dp/B003IT5NHK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=GFBMUJC02OFU&coliid=IV4PDMDXGWFNJ

I think both are good deals but they do different things. I would get both actually. WOOT had a deal awhile back that had a setup similar to the amazon one that was a good deal. My kid uses the pieces in the amazon set like a train track, takes them apart and puts them together in different configurations, and we also have this one (not glow in the dark) that she connects to the long tracks and the bugs move around in different ways depending on where you put the posts/pegs/whirly things.

They can keep her busy for a long time. It is a pretty nice toy.

theguruguys

namzaps wrote:That is a great suggestion on the batteries - just be careful which ones you get. A lot of reviewers talk about the batteries exploding - which is not a good thing for a hands-on children's toy.

I read that. Personally I have bought over 300 total of these types of batteries and given many away to friends and customers. I have bought some from Amazon and others from eBay. I've also purchased the CR2032 types this way. I've never had a problem with them exploding.

Nesher

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Nesher

[quote postid="5280589" user="namzaps"]Yup. They climb, they fall off, they climb back up. This kit connects to other hexbug stuff like the battlezone too.
Thanks!

EvilE1174

quality posts: 8 Private Messages EvilE1174

When frightened, do they (Hexbugs) scream like the souls of the damned?

tastyplacement

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tastyplacement

If my kid ate the bug whole, would he live?

Gladeye

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Gladeye

ALL of the Hexbug sets are modular, meaning they can be rearranged and reattached in lots of combinations with each other. Our kids have around 7 Hexbugs and a few different sets. There is a design and building aspect to this toy that the kids find very satisfying. We most recently got our kids a Hexbug zipline set, which is pretty amazing, for Chanukah (Yes, there are a couple dozen of us non-Christmas types on Woot).

I don't think they are a fad toy. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the hexbugs are able to right themselves if they knock each other over and they can usually work through bottlenecks if they happen, without being touched. Sometimes that can take a minute, but it's fun to watch.

As for the packaging, do you think your kids would like knowing you decided against getting them a fun toy because it didn't have colorful packaging? The packaging goes in the trash. It's the toy they play with.

A couple warnings - The batteries can drain quickly if your kid leaves the bugs switched on and forgets about them for awhile. Also, don't leave the bugs sitting around unattended if you have cats!