WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How many languages can your child speak?
  • 36.7% - One. And that’s how we LIKE IT. 278
  • 33.4% - One, but they’re learning more. 253
  • 11.9% - One and a half. They’re fluent in a childish way. 90
  • 9.5% - Two! I’m pretty proud. 72
  • 2.4% - Three! I’m not even sure how that’s possible! 18
  • 6.1% - Four or more! I think I gave birth to a super-spy by accident. 46
757 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ardubu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ardubu

Me- German and English.
Daughter - Japanese and English.

We are AXIS POWERS CHILDREN...

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor
ardubu wrote:Me- German and English.
Daughter - Japanese and English.

We are AXIS POWERS CHILDREN...

The English cancels that out.

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313

Mine doesn't even speak a language yet...

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

My kid speaks two fluently, she grew up in South Florida - English and Spanglish.

Now my father spoke 6, but he was born in Europe.

sindex23

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sindex23

My child is not-quite 3, but she regularly tosses Spanish into her sentences when she's talking about colors or fruit (I think that's all they've really covered). But she kind of blew my mind when she started throwing out sign language.

Looks like I've got to hit the books again.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

My kid just speaks English and a spattering of Japanese that she's learned by watching too much anime (subtitled). I would like it if she was taught Spanish since there are so many Spanish-speaking people in the US, but they don't offer it until high school here.

kendral

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kendral

I speak 1 1/4...I know a decent amount of Spanish and teach at a dual-language immersion school in Detroit Public Schools (yes, that's right...the district you hear only crap about). My 1st and 2nd grade girls go there and only read and write in Spanish at school! They are such little sponges and are rockin' a 2nd language. BTW, I am part of the English portion of the student's week.

crystalrose629

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crystalrose629

My 3 year old speaks 2. English and then Toddlerish. It's great she can translate to hubby what the 2 year old is saying.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor
hippie1981 wrote:My kid just speaks English and a spattering of Japanese that she's learned by watching too much anime (subtitled). I would like it if she was taught Spanish since there are so many Spanish-speaking people in the US, but they don't offer it until high school here.

Just being around people who speak Spanish (the whole immersion thing) can allow her to become familiar with words, pronunciation, inflections and tone with the language. It will help giver her context to the language as she learns. You can do this formally, through a language school/private tutor or informally, like in a daycare center that has mostly people who speak Spanish/are bi-lingual. Take her to restaurants where waiters and patrons speak Spanish and have Spanish menus, to a Mexican street fair, etc.