WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you still have a land-line phone?
  • 21.4% - Yes. I need a way for the kids to contact me easily and without risk. 215
  • 2.4% - No. I need a way for the kids to contact me easily and without risk. 24
  • 18% - Yes, but I never use it. Maybe I should just turn it off. 181
  • 29.3% - No, because I never used it. I just turned it off. 295
  • 3.1% - If they got hurt I’d see it on Facebook first. What’s the point of either? 31
  • 25.9% - I don’t have kids, don’t have a phone, and don’t shop here. I just CAN’T STOP TAKING THESE ADDICTIVE POLLS! 261
1007 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom

I have a (voip) land line because there are plenty of times I need to give someone a phone number but I don't want him or her calling me on my cell phone.

I get a text message when someone leaves me a message, so I can call back if it is important.

(My cell phone is my work phone, so I can't just ignore unknown numbers.)

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick
craigthom wrote:I have a (voip) land line because there are plenty of times I need to give someone a phone number but I don't want him or her calling me on my cell phone.

I have a skype # for that.

seekayeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seekayeff

yep and it came in quite handy when we were without power for a few days last year. cable/internet was out for a week so a voip phone would have been useless.

amandaquimby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amandaquimby

I have a home phone only because it's MORE expensive to have cable without a land line. Who knew.

knn7496

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knn7496

Ooma! Super cheap and far better quality than cell

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

Yeah, I'm pretty sure VOIP setups don't qualify as a "land line" folks. I know you can plug your old phone into their fancy little boxes, but they still route all their calls over the interwebs as opposed to the old copper wires that the real land lines use.

It would be interesting to find out how many people truly have a land line these days compared to say, 1988 or sometime back then.

It could also be interesting to do some research on how many people actually know the difference between a land line and a VOIP line provided by their cable company.

Anyway, I'll get off the soap-box and get back to the shopping ;)

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

rfactor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rfactor

I got "bundled." Tel-coms MAKE you have a land line in exchange for discounted internet and television, because they're they are phone companies and need a way to stay alive.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime

Yes, because I don't own a cell phone.

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

Yes, and it came in handy after Hurricane Ike when the power was out for days. VOIP would have been totally useless, and I already had a totally useless cell phone.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

It's been over 7 years since i had a landline phone. I just use cell phones. They're expensive enough, so I can't imagine paying for a phone that never gets used.

jelliebaby

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jelliebaby

I have a landline and a pay-as-I-go 5yr old cell phone (non-smart variety! which I use for car emergencies). The landline is because I fully understand power outages effect on VOIP.

This has nothing to do with whether I have kids or not, btw.