0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

hcsencsi

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hcsencsi

O gauge is a great size to make an impact under a tree, it won't get lost amongst the presents. One word of advice, don't let the puffing smoke go on too long or you will need to open windows. Won't set off a fire alarm, but can get a little foggy.

Booger Face

sbogden

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbogden

Not much of a deal; Amazon has it for 219 and free shipping, so all you are saving is 5 bucks.

wootronic

quality posts: 7 Private Messages wootronic

Yep, it's a video.

dagast2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dagast2

Where's the Fruitcake?. I just git this off woot like two weeks ago for about $50 more, unless im mistaken?

Tristan944

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tristan944

Amazon has it for $10 more and its new. This is a rip off.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Tristan944 wrote:Amazon has it for $10 more and its new. This is a rip off.

Uhm, ours is new too.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

beefmalone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beefmalone
ThunderThighs wrote:Uhm, ours is new too.

Nothing like a nice little Holiday "screw you" to us suckers who bought it last week for $249.

kmsshaffer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kmsshaffer

As others have noted, it was 200 with free shipping at Amazon a couple days ago and it's 220 at Amazon now... also no shipping charge. What's up Woot?

nemomz23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nemomz23

Make it the Galaxy Express 999 and I'd buy it.

lfchurchwell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lfchurchwell

I bought this on woot on 11/24 for 249.99, now it's 209.99. i'd like a price match.

namzaps

quality posts: 6 Private Messages namzaps

It looks like the track can be made into an oval, a circle or a squarish circle. Perfect for a pot-bellied tree.

-JCH

dagast2

Based upon experience, no one should buy this today, as it will likely be sold for $169.99 in ten days on Dec. 15th.

Everyone, hold out for the price drop! Dont buy today!

MrSmoofy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrSmoofy

Buyer Beware, this is plastic garbage.

A good O gauge engine like this would sell by itself for more then $200

This thing is all plastic and junk and not worth it new or used.

[MOD: From the features: Painstakingly designed to be true to the original, this exclusive Lionel train set features a die-cast metal Berkshire steam locomotive with a larger pilot, a headlight lens cap, and a unique whistle]

mw713tx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mw713tx
sbogden wrote:Not much of a deal; Amazon has it for 219 and free shipping, so all you are saving is 5 bucks.

Since Amazon owns Woot don't you think there's at least some pricing coordination going on?

kmontrose

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose

Based on the customer photo on the mother ship, you would have to have a pretty small Christmas tree. But fortunately, you can buy more pieces of track.

kmontrose

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose
dagast2 wrote:Based upon experience, no one should buy this today, as it will likely be sold for $169.99 in ten days on Dec. 15th.

Everyone, hold out for the price drop! Dont buy today!

Huh, so it will make a lovely Christmas decoration...for next year? There's a reason for that price drop.

pssnyder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pssnyder

Well, the description indicates that it's die-cast metal, not plastic. I am sure it's not even remotely close to being as well made as the older locomotives, but unfortunately, nothing is made like it used to be anymore...Is this made in China?

MrSmoofy wrote:Buyer Beware, this is plastic garbage.

A good O gauge engine like this would sell by itself for more then $200

This thing is all plastic and junk and not worth it new or used.

DraconWolf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DraconWolf

As a post-war Lionel train collector, these sets are nothing like Lionel's sets from the 1940s and 50s. They're good for modern standards, but if you really want to find a great model train looks at older Lionel sets from the 40s through 60s. There's actually a huge market for these out there and you can generally find a "beginner" set for around $200-300 that will hold it's value. If you buy something post war for that much you could turn around and sell it for the exact same. O-gauge Lionel trains are highly collectible and sought after.

anevelos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anevelos
sbogden wrote:Not much of a deal; Amazon has it for 219 and free shipping, so all you are saving is 5 bucks.

I saw the same thing. My 4yr old would love this but with the shipping cost it just isn't a great deal. :-(
http://www.amazon.com/Lionel-Trains-Polar-Express-Train/dp/B0006GYMTI

streetcw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages streetcw

www.livesteamers.org

yes i volunteer there.

WOOT before Work

sbaker7846

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbaker7846

I just attended a Lionel Warehouse sale this past weekend. They had this exact train and this is a pretty decent price. Factor in that you don't have to wait in a hour long line like I did, and I'd say pull the trigger on it. Maybe Amazon did have it a few bucks cheaper, but stop crying in your milk.
It's a nice train, O gauge, etc. May be worth it just for the track.
Contrary to what some are saying the engine is cast iron not plastic. With that said, these are NOT like the Lionel trains your Dad had as a kid. Those trains from the 50s were great but there is a real collector market for them, so unless you want your kids playing with it, I'd say go with this instead.
This is a nice set for the family to put around the tree, good detailing, etc.

jrhusc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jrhusc

It's deja vu all over again.

I thought I saw this last week.

sbaker7846

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbaker7846

I'm sure that most, if not, all Lionel trains are now made in China. I believe this one is made in China.

pssnyder wrote:Well, the description indicates that it's die-cast metal, not plastic. I am sure it's not even remotely close to being as well made as the older locomotives, but unfortunately, nothing is made like it used to be anymore...Is this made in China?

ERock73

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ERock73

You're right, I'd better go spend $5 more and get it at Amazon!

Pgentry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pgentry

So you can buy it from Woot (owned by Amazon) or you can buy it from Amazon (who owns Woot)...

parker8801

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parker8801
Pgentry wrote:So you can buy it from Woot (owned by Amazon) or you can buy it from Amazon (who owns Woot)...

Wow, I must be under a rock ... I didn't know this. However, I always check Amazon before clicking any "buy" button ... and other sites too.

You would think that Amazon would allow you to use the Prime free shipping on this site ... strange world we live in now where everyone is owned by two or three companies.

wuntimer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wuntimer

Yep, I also jumped last week and paid too much. Figures. Did it with some tools a couple months ago. Someday i'll learn.

questphil

quality posts: 1 Private Messages questphil

Amazon has it for 219 with prime/free shipping so not that great of price currently.

dagast2

wuntimer wrote:Yep, I also jumped last week and paid too much. Figures. Did it with some tools a couple months ago. Someday i'll learn.

I've been wooting for a while now, but I've never really been burned on a deal quite this bad. $40 price drop in ten days is pretty significant.

I will take this as a lesson to not jump on stuff that is new to woot until it cycles through a few times and builds a price history, or to just skip woot all together and buy from Amazon. Anymore, the price difference is trivial.

This will likely end up saving me money in the long run, to the detriment woot.

wootpapa

quality posts: 18 Private Messages wootpapa

One of my kids loves the book and would love this train set.

My other kid has seen seen the film and would hate this train. The movie is a toddler horror film, with most of the sheer terror taking place on the train.

Polar Express is the penultimate example of how a book and a movie can differ. One is charming for a Santa-believing child. The other almost seems sadistic.

Still, remove the toy figures (that I see associated with this train set in product photos on other retail sites) and kids who love the book should love this train.

stevejk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevejk
sbaker7846 wrote:I'm sure that most, if not, all Lionel trains are now made in China. I believe this one is made in China.

Correct, this is made in China, however the quality and detail is amazing. I paid almost double for the same set a couple months ago, and believe me this is a GREAT deal. The included track is plenty enough to put around an average size Christmas tree, however, if you plan on running the train more than just the holidays you will probably want to purchase more track.

dolbycat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolbycat

I've meant to comment on previous offerings for Lionel trains (I have this set and a couple others), but for anyone who doesn't have one yet - they are extremely fragile and finicky. The couplings break relatively easily and the deck on the observation car will crack or fall off if you so much as look at it. Every so often, something will bend my a nanometer and the current will be dropped between tracks or the engine won't make contact properly.

Young kids have trouble with the controls, so the train will come throttling down the track, hit a curve, fall off and possibly break.

This is definitely a look but don't touch toy for any kid under 7. And I would keep it on the floor until you're sure the kid can control it.

As others have noted, these are not the toys of your (or your grandfather's) childhood. It's not even the same company. That said, as a Dad, it has the same always having to fix it attraction that old cars, etc do.

nickkrose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickkrose

Why would you sell this for $40 today, than when you sold it a couple weeks ago?! I now have zero desire to buy from W00t now. Just got robbed out of $50 by your site. Thanks!

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge
nickkrose wrote:Why would you sell this for $40 today, than when you sold it a couple weeks ago?! I now have zero desire to buy from W00t now. Just got robbed out of $50 by your site. Thanks!

Because you wanted it now.

Because you don't know if Lionel will try to ditch a bunch more at a lower price in a few weeks.

Because $50 is not a big deal to a buyer of frivolous purchases.

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

sbogden

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbogden
ERock73 wrote:You're right, I'd better go spend $5 more and get it at Amazon!

Well yeah! Considering shipping from Amazon takes 2-3 days to ship to the Pac NW while Woot takes 2-3wks...yeah, buy from Amazon. Also, Woot is known for great pricing, that's why you come here and read forums.

wamozes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wamozes

Nothing sadder that seeing my son's disappointed face when we couldn't get the locomotive to work, except the lack of customer service from Lionel in trying to get a replacement.

Deal or no deal, that's the last Woot/Lionel product I'm buying.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
wamozes wrote:Nothing sadder that seeing my son's disappointed face when we couldn't get the locomotive to work, except the lack of customer service from Lionel in trying to get a replacement.

Deal or no deal, that's the last Woot/Lionel product I'm buying.

Childhood disappointment is rough. Please be sure to contact support@woot.com - it is unfortunate Lionel customer support could not come through for you, but perhaps we can help make things better.

I'm just hanging out, really.