WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Your child’s school: is it a decent one?
  • 12.1% - Yes. Because we attend a very expensive private school. 74
  • 30.7% - Yes. Because I make sure they learn important things at home. 187
  • 34.3% - Yes. Because the public school actually teaches them important things. 209
  • 5.7% - No. It breaks my heart, too. But what can I do? 35
  • 2.8% - No. And I’m currently fighting to fix this, as hard as I can. 17
  • 14.4% - No. But I don’t care! I turned out good, so will them. 88
610 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

bblhed

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bblhed

Home school.

1ezmonkey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 1ezmonkey

Also home school

I think I'm getting into Heaven.
WOOT = 130 items
SHIRT.WOOT = 72 shirts
WINE.WOOT = 1 item (can't ship wine to Pa.)
SELLOUT.WOOT = 30 items
KIDS.WOOT = 18 items

MatadorBID

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MatadorBID
1ezmonkey wrote:Also home school

orchidluvr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages orchidluvr

GREAT school district.

orianagb90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orianagb90

We homeschool so we don't have to worry about questions like this.

bjoelrichardson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjoelrichardson

Again, Homeschool.

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

It's a combination for us. I always wanted to homeschool my oldest but between full time jobs and whatnot, I never had much of an opportunity and he was never very interested in it. He loves school. We have a great school here but we have also always made sure to teach what's needed at home. We don't just rely on the school to teach what's needed for being an adult. We are struggling whether to homeschool the youngest (12 years difference between the two). We are torn as to which she would thrive in more. And, in the end, we all only learn as much as we are willing to learn no matter what the environment. You can have a crappy school but teach yourself a ton of things or you can have a fantastic school and not pay one bit of attention. It's all about engaging the PERSON in ways that make them curious. Without curiosity, you are only wasting your breath.

thiskat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thiskat

Also home school. Classical method and a bit of Charlotte Mason.

thiskat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thiskat

www.classicalconversations.com

ladyloerya wrote:It's a combination for us. I always wanted to homeschool my oldest but between full time jobs and whatnot, I never had much of an opportunity and he was never very interested in it. He loves school. We have a great school here but we have also always made sure to teach what's needed at home. We don't just rely on the school to teach what's needed for being an adult. We are struggling whether to homeschool the youngest (12 years difference between the two). We are torn as to which she would thrive in more. And, in the end, we all only learn as much as we are willing to learn no matter what the environment. You can have a crappy school but teach yourself a ton of things or you can have a fantastic school and not pay one bit of attention. It's all about engaging the PERSON in ways that make them curious. Without curiosity, you are only wasting your breath.

polkastria

quality posts: 6 Private Messages polkastria

Interesting to see so many homeschoolers here.. and add me to the list.

Got my oldest out of public school in 6th grade when the school refused to cope with his ADHD and just wanted me to medicate him. He's 24 now and doing rather well. Even if College didn't work out for him, at least he tried and may go back someday.

Now I have my dyslexic, ADD daughter to homeschool.. she's 8.