WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How do you determine if a movie is suitable for your child?
  • 49% - Watch it myself 386
  • 18.7% - Read the reviews/synopsis 147
  • 10.2% - Trust the MPAA rating system 80
  • 19.8% - Ask people who have seen it 156
  • 2.3% - Other (comments, please) 18
787 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Quality Posts

Wiredog

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wiredog

Combination of the answers offered (except MPAA, who trusts them?).

sandrab8401

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandrab8401

As long as I watch it with them, nothing is off limits. They have to learn about it sometime, I'd rather it be WITH me.

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl

I agree... combo. I read synopsis... Bambi style is out for my three year old (mom dying/etc), as is violence. Rating means zilch. I know what he likes, and so I avoid the stuff that bothers him. I always watch them with him as well, so that at any point it becomes inappropriate or he gets scared, I can turn it off.

ardubu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ardubu

Check it out on Torrent!

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

Phoulmouth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Phoulmouth

I just let my kids watch whatever they want. They are smart enough to know the difference between reality and TV so I don't need to coddle them. Anyone with half a brain realizes that their kids will see and hear worse on the news, on the internet, and at school than they see on TV.

cebii

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cebii

All of the above.

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
Wiredog wrote:Combination of the answers offered (except MPAA, who trusts them?).

Yup, exactly. And it depends on the rating (PG-13 covers a lot of ground), as well as which kid is watching it - mine are 9, 12, 14. There's the occasional violence that is fine for the 12yo but would traumatize the others, scary things only the 9yo likes, and only the 14yo wants to see kissing.

Occasionally I'll take them to a movie opening (Harry Potter), and I'll just trust. This week the oldest is going with me to see the last Twilight movie, and I'm hoping nothing will upset her.

ombasha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ombasha

Take the youngest to the movie and see the reaction to the movie. If they don like it or don't understand it it is a winner!

rebekahmcgee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rebekahmcgee

I don't trust the MPAA ratings, but use all the other options offered.

yourtor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yourtor

I watch it with them, they shouldn't be watching new things alone until they are old enough to understand what they are watching.

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

I check out the parental information for every movie we're interested in at www.IMDB.com