1%
1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

maxrfb

quality posts: 8 Private Messages maxrfb

So, just to make sure I have this straight. You can use the engine to charge the battery of the electric car that comes with the kit, but the battery is not included.

Kooky.

Batteries are never included...

wow. I actually bought a Robot Elvis.
What was I thinking?

paxhcndria

quality posts: 3 Private Messages paxhcndria

lonelypond

quality posts: 410 Private Messages lonelypond

sounds cool

gravityisweak

quality posts: 27 Private Messages gravityisweak

Seems a bit pricey for a deal. I've had stirling engines made from cheap stuff before and they are quite underwhelming. This one will never be useful for doing anything besides showing how they work, and for that the list price of $200 bucks is just ridiculously overinflated. Even the review on amazon says the guy got it for $35 and prime shipping.

cappo

quality posts: 31 Private Messages cappo

Stirling Engine + Global Warming = Infinite Energy

Problem?

sheldonc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheldonc

I saw this and got excited until I read this part:

"The home-made electricity is stored in a battery and used to drive the included electric car (battery not included)"

So for the original $200 retail you get a toy that creates electricity that can be then transferred to a toy car, but the part that makes this all happen is NOT INCLUDED.

That's just weird.

Secunza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Secunza

Wake me up when you include the battery.

No battery = No deal

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

All this grumbling about a battery. We've sold a bazillion batteries on our site. Surely you have one lying around.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Secunza

ThunderThighs wrote:All this grumbling about a battery. We've sold a bazillion batteries on our site. Surely you have one lying around.

Ok, let me check, if I found one you got a deal.

Ronski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ronski
ThunderThighs wrote:All this grumbling about a battery. We've sold a bazillion batteries on our site. Surely you have one lying around.

I found a battery but mine are all charged up already. I want a dead one so I can see if this thing works.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Secunza wrote:Ok, let me check, if I found one you got a deal.

I'll just wait here...

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Secunza

ThunderThighs wrote:I'll just wait here...

Nope, I only found the alcohol (Additional Items Needed)

Sorry for the delay but my wife wake up and she ask me what the hell was I looking for and when I told her "a Ni-MH battery that ThunderThighs told me I must have around" her answer was not polite... AT ALL.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Secunza wrote:Nope, I only found the alcohol (Additional Items Needed)

Sorry for the delay but my wife wake up and she ask me what the hell was I looking for and when I told her "a Ni-MH battery that ThunderThighs told me I must have around" her answer was not polite... AT ALL.

Uhm.... uh oh?

ThunderThighs

Staff

Ronski wrote:I found a battery but mine are all charged up already. I want a dead one so I can see if this thing works.

Install it in a flashlight and leave that sucker on until this is delivered.

Problem solved.

chefjoe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chefjoe

Manual:
Use sighting stick to adjust the parabolic mirror every so often for 2-3 hours (in full sun) to enable the car to run an estimated 5 minutes.

I hope your kids are a lot more patient than I was at 12 years old. That or you trust them with alcohol burners.

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

I'm 26 and an engineering student and I might just buy this to play with. Except, I'd rather help out the hungry in Africa, google "WeCanBeHeroes", and I'm broke.

Carnot / Stirling heat engines are cool because they far exceed the efficiency of today's piston cycle engine; OTTO (regular cars), Atkinson (full hybrids) and HCCI (Diesel). I could see a Stirling engine being in a plug-in hybrid as a range extender for great MPG. The thing that Stirling lacks in is immediate power changes so it can't be a direct part of the drivetrain. Not to mention, probably not a lot of power output for a given physical size.

Youtube video of this kit!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mgEOEdPsrw

birdoprey5

quality posts: 11 Private Messages birdoprey5

This is a GREAT learning experience for kids... It will teach them that ALTERNATIVE ENERGY is a joke and we better stick with oil, coal, and gas!

earthltd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages earthltd

From the thumbnail, I thought it was a model of the Enterprise with a dish antenna.

jlafollette

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlafollette

We sell T and K kits in my museum store and typically they are high quality. I cannot speak for this kit as it is over our price point. T and K is fairly ruthless about selling below their suggested MSRP and actually will stop selling you their product if you do so online. So....if you are interested in this you probably won't find it cheaper anywhere online.

mkentosh

quality posts: 308 Private Messages mkentosh

just looking at the picture, I thought it was a breast pump, then a small satalite dish, so now I'm just confused.

LauraMc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LauraMc
mkentosh wrote:just looking at the picture, I thought it was a breast pump, then a small satalite dish, so now I'm just confused.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a breast pump. My next thought was it must be cold and have super suction.

mikemiracle

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mikemiracle

If you put a complete description of the product then nobody would ask about the battery. How about "battery not included" then you tell us what kind of battery it takes. If it's 4 AA recharges no big deal. If it takes some convoluted $50 tree huger battery that's no longer made except on a remote Russian military installation.... well then no thank you.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster
mikemiracle wrote:If you put a complete description of the product then nobody would ask about the battery. How about "battery not included" then you tell us what kind of battery it takes. If it's 4 AA recharges no big deal. If it takes some convoluted $50 tree huger battery that's no longer made except on a remote Russian military installation.... well then no thank you.

Under the Specs tab it lists additional items needed but not included. There you will find:

(1) AAA Ni-MH 500-mA Rechargeable Battery

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

molex

quality posts: 7 Private Messages molex

LOL Yep, I actually have about a dozen of them laying in a heap waiting to go to the battery recycling center because they don't hold a charge worth a cr@p. Woot fail.

Snarky pseudo-mod posts aside, if a company is going to sell something that the entire point of which is to charge a BATTERY... yeah, they should include the BATTERY.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
molex wrote:LOL Yep, I actually have about a dozen of them laying in a heap waiting to go to the battery recycling center because they don't hold a charge worth a cr@p. Woot fail.

Snarky pseudo-mod posts aside, if a company is going to sell something that the entire point of which is to charge a BATTERY... yeah, they should include the BATTERY.

Thank you for the suggestion!

I'm just hanging out, really.

molex

inkycatz wrote:Thank you for the suggestion!

My other suggestion would be taking this thunderthigh character, who is apparently affiliated with woot, behind the woodshed for a good old fashioned "talking to". He's a jerk.

pyrochild

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pyrochild
danwat1234 wrote:I'm 26 and an engineering student
Carnot / Stirling heat engines are cool because they far exceed the efficiency of today's piston cycle engine; OTTO (regular cars), Atkinson (full hybrids) and HCCI (Diesel). I could see a Stirling engine being in a plug-in hybrid as a range extender for great MPG. The thing that Stirling lacks in is immediate power changes so it can't be a direct part of the drivetrain. Not to mention, probably not a lot of power output for a given physical size.

Another engineering student here and there's a few things you've got wrong. Stirling engines run on the Stirling cycle, not Carnot, which is purely theoretical.

Diesel engines run on the Diesel cycle. HCCI is closer to an Otto cycle that uses compression ignition, so it's like cross between diesel and gasoline engines.

HCCI engines are not commercially produced, though there are functional prototypes at GM, VW and others.

Finally, while Stirling engines are indeed very thermally efficient, they are not space or weight efficient. They are much larger and heavier than equivalently powerful gas or diesel engines. I don't see them being used in cars unless some breakthrough is made. They are much better suited to stationary applications than roaming ones.

inkycatz

molex wrote:My other suggestion would be taking this thunderthigh character, who is apparently affiliated with woot, behind the woodshed for a good old fashioned "talking to". He's a jerk.

If you have moderator specific feedback, Gatzby's PM box is always available. (He is in charge of us crazy lot of moderators, so you know.) Hope that helps!

molex

inkycatz wrote:If you have moderator specific feedback, Gatzby's PM box is always available. (He is in charge of us crazy lot of moderators, so you know.) Hope that helps!

And I would find that... where?

inkycatz

molex wrote:And I would find that... where?

Usually by everyone's names there is an envelope, which makes it super easy cheesy to send a message. But since not everyone's usually around in every thread, what I did was a search for Gatzby, and then clicked on the envelope to give you this direct link right here to try to help you out. Hopefully it should work.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

molex wrote:And I would find that... where?

i'd tell you where, but when you poke Azathoth, you're taking your life into your own hands.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff
inkycatz wrote:If you have moderator specific feedback, Gatzby's PM box is always available. (He is in charge of us crazy lot of moderators, so you know.) Hope that helps!

Please don't encourage him.

;O)

(a real TT fan here)

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff
pyrochild wrote:Another engineering student here and there's a few things you've got wrong. Stirling engines run on the Stirling cycle, not Carnot, which is purely theoretical.

Diesel engines run on the Diesel cycle. HCCI is closer to an Otto cycle that uses compression ignition, so it's like cross between diesel and gasoline engines.

HCCI engines are not commercially produced, though there are functional prototypes at GM, VW and others.

Finally, while Stirling engines are indeed very thermally efficient, they are not space or weight efficient. They are much larger and heavier than equivalently powerful gas or diesel engines. I don't see them being used in cars unless some breakthrough is made. They are much better suited to stationary applications than roaming ones.

OOOoooooooooooh, an Engineering Student Smack Down War!!!!

inkycatz

lstaff wrote:Please don't encourage him.

;O)

(a real TT fan here)

I get in trouble if I don't help people. It's kinda part of the job and all.

lstaff wrote:OOOoooooooooooh, an Engineering Student Smack Down War!!!!

Please tell me you brought popcorn?

molex

lstaff wrote:Please don't encourage him.

;O)

(a real TT fan here)

Yes, don't encourage someone to report when a person affiliated with the site is being dismissive and rude to potential customers. That's just good business, right?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

inkycatz wrote:I get in trouble if I don't hurl ppl under a bus.

ftfy!

molex wrote:Yes, don't encourage someone to report when a person affiliated with the site is being dismissive and rude to potential customers. That's just good business, right?

1. i think TT would be disappointed to know she rubbed somebody the wrong way. the truth is, she's probably the biggest customer advocate at Woot. (hence the fan club.)

2. we specialize in snark. it's all over the site. it's tongue-in-cheek. sometimes it bugs folks, but it's not meant to be malicious. most people kinda dig it.

3. we want you to be happy. that's not snark. it is true. i'll send you a battery. heck, i'll take it to you on foot, if it means you'll stick around and play with us. i'll need a place to crash overnight, though. do you have a spare room? i could just use your bath tub, i guess.

anyhoo, before i get anybody in trouble, i'll forward this along to the overlord so that he can summarily flog TT for her impudence!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

molex

PemberDucky wrote:1. i think TT would be disappointed to know she rubbed somebody the wrong way. the truth is, she's probably the biggest customer advocate at Woot. (hence the fan club.)

2. we specialize in snark. it's all over the site. it's tongue-in-cheek. sometimes it bugs folks, but it's not meant to be malicious. most people kinda dig it.

3. we want you to be happy. that's not snark. it is true. i'll send you a battery. heck, i'll take it to you on foot, if it means you'll stick around and play with us. i'll need a place to crash overnight, though. do you have a spare room? i could just use your bath tub, i guess.

anyhoo, before i get anybody in trouble, i'll forward this along to the overlord so that he can summarily flog TT for her impudence!

Snark away then. I'll just put phasers on ignore.

streetcw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages streetcw

this one got a lot of comments. Way to go parents!

WOOT before Work

anyboatyourow

quality posts: 25 Private Messages anyboatyourow

I'm getting so sick of people calling everything an "experiment" when it's really just a demonstration.

If you're not trying to discover the previously unknown principle behind something, and writing down your findings, you're not doing an experiment.