WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you do everything for your kids, they'll never do anything for themselves. Just go to a freshman college dorm laundry room to see the looks of terrified confusion, and you'll know exactly what I mean.

But one mom in Calgary had finally had enough of her lazy, good-for-nothin' kids and decided to go on strike. For three days she let the filth around the house pile up until one of her youngest finally broke down into tears and begged her to help clean up.

That last part actually made me laugh. But again, I'm a little twisted. Probably because I grew up with a mother that once fed my dessert to the dog after I fed my entire dinner to the dog, and used a black Sharpie to draw bikinis on all the girls in my brother's dirty magazines.

Eventually the strike ended with the kids cleaning up the place. But I'd say they learned a valuable lesson.

What do you think? Creative parenting or too little too late?

Photo by Flickr member Rubbermaid Products, used under a Creative Commons License.

ariellem

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ariellem

I tried that (the strike, not the Sharpie bit). They hardly noticed.

tons o' screaming monkeys (yay!)
almost no Box of Cobwebs in the past few years (boo :-< )

njnubn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages njnubn

Works with hubby's too

cuabori

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cuabori

When I first saw the picture, I felt a funny feeling of relief. I have lived a life of such embarassment and lonliness BECAUSE of the condition of my kids room. Never feeling comfortable inviting a new friend, or really any friend, over to visit. For nearly 6 years I have had no company. The older kids don't seem to care. They just go to their friends for sleepovers instead of having a friend over. I hate living like this. I have run out of ideas to make them help out. They are absolutely old enough to do the minimum I am asking of them. Ideas?

hgordanier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hgordanier

We have two boys (17 and 6) they have chores they do every day. Chores are age appropriate. They aren't given a choice, chores are a part of being a family, we all have to do them and keeping the house clean is the first part. They each help with dinner, setting the table, dishes, trash, yard work, keeping their rooms and bathrooms cleans. We have taught them to be grateful and respectful for what they have and each other. We work hard as parents for the roof over our heads and we work hard as a family to maintain it. This enhances their character and helps build their self esteem and instills a lifelong work ethic.

cfennessey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfennessey

We finally told my 15 year old son that he could start chipping in or stop getting anything in return from us. It worked. He does his own laundry now (and I know he'll be able to when he goes to college now!). He also does the dishes and takes the dog out. If you want your kid to grow up useless, do everything for them, or push them a bit to do things for themslelves (and you!) and sit back and relax once ina while. Afterall, we are their parents, not their slaves.

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel
cuabori wrote:When I first saw the picture, I felt a funny feeling of relief. I have lived a life of such embarassment and lonliness BECAUSE of the condition of my kids room. Never feeling comfortable inviting a new friend, or really any friend, over to visit. For nearly 6 years I have had no company. The older kids don't seem to care. They just go to their friends for sleepovers instead of having a friend over. I hate living like this. I have run out of ideas to make them help out. They are absolutely old enough to do the minimum I am asking of them. Ideas?

That's how my sister was. My Mother wouldn't allow her to leave/have a phone/ TV/ Computer ect until she cleaned her room and kept it clean for a week.