noesporin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noesporin

Why is Woot charging tax for the shirts? I thought three was no tax for shirts O-o... Did i miss something? Can anyone help fill me in :D

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

noesporin wrote:Why is Woot charging tax for the shirts? I thought three was no tax for shirts O-o... Did i miss something? Can anyone help fill me in :D

Effective September 15, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin collecting sales tax on orders shipped to destinations in California.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

noesporin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noesporin
ThunderThighs wrote:Effective September 15, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin collecting sales tax on orders shipped to destinations in California.

Ahh, thank you!

idolatradingwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages idolatradingwoot
noesporin wrote:Ahh, thank you!

noesporin wrote:Ahh, thank you! and you are not even in CA, Ahh

DJFonzi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DJFonzi

and you tax the shipping as well?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

As noted in the sale, this is being investigated, however if you ever feel you've been overcharged and such in error, please open a support request with support@woot.com so they can help you out.

I'm just hanging out, really.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
DJFonzi wrote:and you tax the shipping as well?

Yeah, I want my 45 cents back!

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425
RWoodward wrote:Yeah, I want my 45 cents back!

I just noticed the same thing. I was being charged 7.75% tax on an order plus shipping, costing me $0.38 more than it should.

Woot: This is serious, you could be opening yourselves (or your parent company) to a significant lawsuit for overcharging people on tax if you don't rectify/explain this.

Update: From the California Franchise Tax Board website:
"Be sure that your invoices and receipts use specific terms to describe delivery-related charges. If you are charging for shipping, which may not be taxable, use terms such as shipping, delivery, freight, or postage. If you are
charging for handling, which is taxable, be sure to use that term on your invoice."

But on the same publication:

Delivery-related charge is taxable when (for taxable sales only):
You do not keep records that show the actual cost of the delivery.
Note: Many businesses charge standard amounts for shipping and do not track the cost of individual deliveries.

Source: http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub100.pdf

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

kevin0425 wrote:I just noticed the same thing. I was being charged 7.75% tax on an order plus shipping, costing me $0.38 more than it should.

Woot: This is serious, you could be opening yourselves (or your parent company) to a significant lawsuit for overcharging people on tax if you don't rectify this immediately.

i've been told that taxability varies depending on retailers & rules. i also learned that, because of the complexity of this subject, the proper regulators (California State Board of Equalization) were consulted as part of our taxation determination process. so it might be hasty to assume it's incorrect.

however! tax issues are often in flux, and if i were you, i would email support@woot.com with your specific order details to be absolutely certain that we're not boffing it up. because you are right; it is srs bidness.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.