Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

cornellbigred

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cornellbigred

This is pretty cool... I think I might order a set for myself

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt

I have seen stuff like this on infomercials, can anyone testify to how well they actually work?

sunsys

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sunsys
wisenekt wrote:I have seen stuff like this on infomercials, can anyone testify to how well they actually work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr3ayYZlWdU

bellgirl79

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bellgirl79

Just bought a set for myself. Yumm I can't wait. The set costs $29.95 if you buy it from myaussieice.com

jaburg

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jaburg

2-3 hours is NOT a few minutes.
And 10 oz. is not nearly big enough for most things I want to drink.

Pass - you can get equally effective and MUCH larger "slushy mugs" at pretty much any wally-world-type store for less money.

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff

"Mom, did you see what was on Woot!????? A slushie maker. Get it!! Would you get it? Please?? Get it!!!! Please get it. It makes slushies!! Get it!!!"

T-6 hours. Just you wait.

haydesigner

quality posts: 14 Private Messages haydesigner

jaburg wrote:Pass - you can get equally effective and MUCH larger "slushy mugs" at pretty much any wally-world-type store for less money.

Proof, please?

cappo

quality posts: 30 Private Messages cappo

I had one of these when I was a kid. (Not this brand of course, but the same type of deal.)

It did work somewhat. It wasn't amazing. Hopefully they improved the idea by now.

cheng_sue

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheng_sue

The reviews on the Amazon are very extreme....still debating

Pegboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pegboy

And they claim "Adult drinks!"

cappo

quality posts: 30 Private Messages cappo
jaburg wrote:2-3 hours is NOT a few minutes.
And 10 oz. is not nearly big enough for most things I want to drink.

Pass - you can get equally effective and MUCH larger "slushy mugs" at pretty much any wally-world-type store for less money.

2-3 hours to freeze the cup, 1-2 minutes to slush the drink in the alread-frozen cup. (Yeah the write up confused the two.)

But remember... the bigger the capacity of the mug the less well it's going to work.

DizMissLiz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DizMissLiz

Any idea how these work on sugar free drinks like Crystal Light or diet soda? The "as seen on TV" ones at the store specifically say they won't work on such drinks, but I don't see that on these cups.

slkygrl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slkygrl
cappo wrote:2-3 hours to freeze the cup, 1-2 minutes to slush the drink in the alread-frozen cup. (Yeah the write up confused the two.)

But remember... the bigger the capacity of the mug the less well it's going to work.

Phoo to that! I had a big ol' Slushy Mug, blue with a handle, the inside was about 16oz. This was back in the 1970's. I made EVERYTHING slushy, juice, ice cream & diet root beer ( I added the ice cream to the gushy top,) and had a grand time. This type is expensive but I did see it on the Vermont Country Store website. However, for this price, I will be willing to give these a try- remember that 8oz. is the recommended amount of juice or soda you should drink in one sitting, so frankly this is large.

From Edna St. Vincent Millay:
SECOND FIG
SAFE upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand:
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!

Keep on Dreaming!
slkygrl

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Pegboy wrote:And they claim "Adult drinks!"

Just remember to wash all the vodka and rum thoroughly out of the maker before you switch back to Kid drinks. ^__^

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
lstaff wrote:"Mom, did you see what was on Woot!????? A slushie maker. Get it!! Would you get it? Please?? Get it!!!! Please get it. It makes slushies!! Get it!!!"

T-6 hours. Just you wait.

So mom reads all about these gets all excited and orders 6 so looking forward to their arrival. Upon arrival she quickly gets out the vodka and makes her and dad some great frozen cocktails. Looking at the son or daughter looking back sadly at them she will quote W.C. Fields. "Go away kid, you bother me." LOL

CapitalGGeek

quality posts: 3 Private Messages CapitalGGeek
slkygrl wrote: remember that 8oz. is the recommended amount of juice or soda you should drink in one sitting, so frankly this is large.

Mayor Bloomberg?????

They'll let anyone post here.

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

Oh man. I could pretend to get this for my kids and then after the first use I could refreeze the cup for me! A little frozen bourbon and diet coke sounds delish!

Jen

angelsgirl2002

quality posts: 3 Private Messages angelsgirl2002

I have no kids, but I really, really want this. Any idea how it works on sugar-free stuff, or is it the same for everything?

Rhinomods

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Rhinomods

We had similar cups when I was a kid in the 80s . As I look back, it was a great treat when you gave it time to freeze... However, I remember just using it as a cup that you didn't need ice in to cool your drink .... Hardly ever used it to make slushies... And now I'm off to find a less expensive frozen cup at a normal retailer.

120days

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 120days

i hope these work. Ive seen them around and wanted to try, so hopefully they work! mixed reviews, but meh.

ethibaul

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ethibaul

Are these BPA-(and all those other bad plastics,)free?

cherialoha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherialoha
ethibaul wrote:Are these BPA-(and all those other bad plastics,)free?

Went to some other websites, like Perpetual Kid and they claim it is made of BPA free, non-toxic silicone. A youtube video calls it "food grade" silicone.

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4
Pegboy wrote:And they claim "Adult drinks!"

I don't own these cups, but I do own an ice cream maker that works on the exact same principal. I am quite confident that these cups will be a huge disapointment in the "adult beverage" category. The alcohol significantly lowers the freezing point of the beverage in the glass. It will talk a considerably longer amount of time to slushy a margarita in these cups than it would take the advertised 1-2 minutes. And at 10 ounces, it would hardly be worth it.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

thatgrrl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages thatgrrl

Found a really good FAQ which answers the diet drink question (among others): http://www.myaussieice.com/help_answer.asp?ID=20

Diet drinks work with Aussie Ice. Keep in mind that the slushy consistency of drinks can vary. Slushy drinks made with diet sodas can have a somewhat icier consistency than drinks made with sugar. Drinks make with dairy products, like egg nog, tend to have a thicker, less slushy consistency. We encourage you to try different drinks to see what get the slushy consistency you like best.

usanettom

quality posts: 11 Private Messages usanettom

I don't get it, especially after watching the video. It seems very...what's the word I'm looking for...manual, as in laborious. It looks tiring on the hands. I'd rather stick my Diet Pepsi in the freezer for 30 minutes, and then it's already a slushy. I've never had an overwhelming urge, or even a timid urge, to have a slushy right now, so I don't see a use for it.

Pegboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pegboy
boomn4x4 wrote:I don't own these cups, but I do own an ice cream maker that works on the exact same principal. I am quite confident that these cups will be a huge disapointment in the "adult beverage" category. The alcohol significantly lowers the freezing point of the beverage in the glass. It will talk a considerably longer amount of time to slushy a margarita in these cups than it would take the advertised 1-2 minutes. And at 10 ounces, it would hardly be worth it.

10 oz. should be plenty to get my kid buzzed. (Ha, ha - that's just a joke.)

shaikt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaikt

Regarding whether diet drinks will work, I have a related observation. I often semi-freeze drinks before I play sports. (In addition to the nice texture, the ice maintains the temperature.) One thing I've noticed is that drinks with high-fructose corn syrup are slushier than sucrose-based drinks, which turn out more crystalline. I am generally anti-HFCS, but I make an exception for sports drinks. I am skeptical that diet drinks will work nicely (without something to add viscosity), since they have low sweetener concentrations.

bborozan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bborozan

stoopid ? time:

how do i order 2 sets, one of each color?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
bborozan wrote:stoopid ? time:

how do i order 2 sets, one of each color?

Just select quantity two, it should give you a drop down menu to pick colors.

I'm just hanging out, really.

blz87

quality posts: 4 Private Messages blz87

This is correct. Diet drinks willl absolutley freeze but get icy.

blz87

They work great if you follow the instuctions. The key is to start with a beverage that is already cold and give it a few minutes. You can even let it sit on the counter or back in the fridge for a couple of minutes to start to work it's magic before squeezing. Warm or room temp beverages take too long to freeze and won't work well.

blz87

This is a great value. Just remember to follow the instructions and use a cold beverage to start with and give it a few minutes to work it's magic. Depending on how cold the beverage is when you start and how icy you want it, it takes a couple of minutes.

blz87

Yes. BPA free

ethibaul wrote:Are these BPA-(and all those other bad plastics,)free?

blz87

Mixed drinks work well. Mai-tai's, margarita's etc can be made. What freezes is the mix not the alcohol but the alcohol can be mixed in and it will work. Cold beer or very cold wine will also slush. The mix, beer or wine must be cold to begin with, out of the fridge is fine. The colder the mix (or any beverage) the faster the freezing process. The more frozen you prefer the beverage, the longer it takes. It will work in 2-5 minutes with mixed drinks. Watch the demonstation video.

boomn4x4 wrote:I don't own these cups, but I do own an ice cream maker that works on the exact same principal. I am quite confident that these cups will be a huge disapointment in the "adult beverage" category. The alcohol significantly lowers the freezing point of the beverage in the glass. It will talk a considerably longer amount of time to slushy a margarita in these cups than it would take the advertised 1-2 minutes. And at 10 ounces, it would hardly be worth it.

blz87

The keys to success are following the simple instructions:

1. Always use a cold beverage (the colder the beverage to start, the faster it will freeze)

2. Make sure the cup if frozen (it should feel like a snowball)

3.Be a bit patient. If you prefer (and it's recemmended) Let the cup sit with the drink inside for 1-2 minutes on the counter or in the fridge to begin to work it's magic. Then squeeze it as directed. (If you prefer you can start squeezing right away too) Depending on how icy and frozen you like the drink it will take 2-3 minutes.

If you use a cold beverage and have a frozen cup you will have a frozen drink everytime within 3-5 minutes.

cheng_sue wrote:The reviews on the Amazon are very extreme....still debating

bborozan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bborozan
inkycatz wrote:Just select quantity two, it should give you a drop down menu to pick colors.

still kinda new to this stuff.
thank you!

blz87

Yes, it's BPA free

cherialoha wrote:Went to some other websites, like Perpetual Kid and they claim it is made of BPA free, non-toxic silicone. A youtube video calls it "food grade" silicone.

blz87

Follow the instructions and you we make great slushies!

120days wrote:i hope these work. Ive seen them around and wanted to try, so hopefully they work! mixed reviews, but meh.

blz87

It will freeze diet drinks but they get icy, not a slushy consistancy because of the chemical makeup of the beverage. But it's a great zero calorie frozen treat!

Any idea how these work on sugar free drinks like Crystal Light or diet soda? The "as seen on TV" ones at the store specifically say they won't work on such drinks, but I don't see that on these cups.[/quote]