quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you read to your child?
  • 30.7% - I do! As often as I am able! 284
  • 20% - I did! Now they’re too old for me so they read alone. 185
  • 5.7% - I have! But not very often. 53
  • 3.5% - I don’t! Reading’s boring. That’s why they invented video games. 32
  • 8.6% - I will! As soon as my child arrives! 80
  • 31.5% - I don’t have a child! So I read loudly out the window in hopes one will hear. 292
926 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ardubu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ardubu

Their favorite story - "The Tinder Box", by Hans Christian Anderson.

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Reading to your child is one of the best ways to assist them in both cognitive development and creating an interest in education and intellectual pursuits.

In other words, if you don't want your kid to be as big a dumbass as their father, read to them.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

RWoodward wrote:
In other words, if you don't want your kid to be as big a dumbass as their father, read to them.

bumper sticker material.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Nightly! Or rather, on nights when I put him to bed.

Wiredog

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wiredog
RWoodward wrote:In other words, if you don't want your kid to be as big a dumbass as their father, read to them.

My three year old son was reading to a six year old girl while we all were in line at a store. Her mother asked how he learned to read. I told her I read to him daily. She argued that could not work, so she never read to her children...Um, my kid is reading to yours, I think I am right!

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

Molly's Monsters. Every other book. Sigh.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
kutiel wrote:Molly's Monsters. Every other book. Sigh.

Okay, what I did to break the cycle of "Mommy, this book!" was to start getting books from the library (where "Mommy this book" is restricted only by the amount of time that I keep it out of the library's circulation", followed by getting some of those multi-story treasuries.

Our library has multiple Disney-related canon and non-canon short story collections (which can be troublesome if you're not prepared to read in squeaky Mickey voice or growly Donald voice... or Country Mater/Whiney McQueen voice) which kept us going for about four weeks at a time. I kept the original Awdry "Thomas the Tank Engine" treasury logged out for the better part of a month and a half (my husband said it was so dry it almost put HIM to sleep, so YMMV). There's Curious George treasuries, Dr. Seuss Treasuries, etc.

In our personal collection, after having returned enough of the above, I bought a "Bedtime Story" collection that features the common domain fairy tales and folk tales (like "Stone Soup") that didn't include only Brothers' Grimm. After that, though, I had a devil of a time finding another collection that didn't repeat the same stories. (My son has already found a way to rip off the front cover. /facepalm)

I found a "Knights and Dragons" treasury that collected various stories of clever knights fighting silly dragons, scary dragons, and a "Cockatrice". I figure that'll last us for a while. At least until he does mortal damage to that cover, too.