WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Would you ever let your child have an exotic pet?
  • 25.7% - No. Way. A crab they found at the beach is too much for me. 255
  • 8% - Probably not. I mean, I’d let them take it home then say it escaped or something. 80
  • 35.2% - It depends how old they are, I guess. If they can properly care for an elephant, then sure. 350
  • 11.2% - I would, but only if I could have one of my own. 111
  • 8.7% - I already do! And you’d be surprised how cuddly venomous jungle snakes can be with a three month old baby. 86
  • 11.3% - No pets allowed in our house. Not even the regular kind. 112
994 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Wiredog

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wiredog

"It depends how old they are, I guess. If they can properly care for an elephant, then sure."

Like as soon as they are old enough to live on their own!

nanderhoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nanderhoff

Rabbits are considered exotic. We've got two of them and they act pretty much like cats. They only come when you shake their treats or when they want food.

michaelt2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages michaelt2
nanderhoff wrote:Rabbits are considered exotic. We've got two of them and they act pretty much like cats. They only come when you shake their treats or when they want food.

Hahaha...Exactly! Had a rabbit...easiest "exotic" pet!

michaelt2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages michaelt2

I already do! And you’d be surprised how cuddly venomous jungle snakes can be with a three month old baby.

We rescued a part Savannah cat when he was about 6-8 mos old...probably an F6 or F7...slightly larger than a regular cat but not by much...except he has massive neck and shoulders...our no-neck kitty, LOL. If he were a dog he'd be a bulldog. Gentlest cat I've ever had - likes dogs too. Rescued another little kitten (not a Savannah) to keep him company & he thinks he's it's Papa - licks it clean & everything...one must keep one's children clean....what would the neighbors think?

westz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages westz

used to keep geckos, snakes, frogs etc. i'll have them for a long time, so sure, if i have kids and they want a snake, i don't even care if they dont take care of it, i will because i'll be happy to have one

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12

My kids can have whatever shows up at the door but I am not going out to bring home anything that is alive on purpose. I wouldn't buy a pet - ever...ever. LOL

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

maggiefox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maggiefox

My husband is allergic to cats so we have "non-traditional" pets. In addition to a dog and fish, we also have dozens of Stick-Bugs, plus chickens that we incubated in our living room from eggs. We used to have rabbits. We have also had tadpoles that turned into frogs, caterpillars that turned into butterflies and praying mantises that hatched from a cocoon (all that we released). We recently looked into adopting a corn snake but decided to wait on that. By the way, we live on a ¼ acre lot and my kids are 5 and 7. “Exotic” pets are LOTS of fun!

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
nanderhoff wrote:Rabbits are considered exotic. We've got two of them and they act pretty much like cats. They only come when you shake their treats or when they want food.

I've never wanted one before, and now I do. XD

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
maggiefox wrote:My husband is allergic to cats so we have "non-traditional" pets. In addition to a dog and fish, we also have dozens of Stick-Bugs, plus chickens that we incubated in our living room from eggs. We used to have rabbits. We have also had tadpoles that turned into frogs, caterpillars that turned into butterflies and praying mantises that hatched from a cocoon (all that we released). We recently looked into adopting a corn snake but decided to wait on that. By the way, we live on a ¼ acre lot and my kids are 5 and 7. “Exotic” pets are LOTS of fun!

My husband's corn snake shares my son's bedroom. He wakes up each morning and says good morning to her first.

Just before I had my son, she had "sympathy eggs", too, so I'm pretty attached to her. ^_^

(Yes, I know that snakes have no human attachments to their captors, but I still found it endearing.)