WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Professional child care is a female-dominated profession, but why? Is it that men aren't capable caregivers? There are plenty of husbands, fathers, grandfathers, uncles, single dads and two-father families that have raised well-adjusted kids.

Still, there is a stigma about child caregivers who are male. Some think it's weird, creepy, inappropriate or just plain wrong when a man shows interest in caring for children.

This year, the prestigious Norland College in England admitted the first male student into their Bachelor of Arts program in Early Childhood Studies since the school was founded in 1892.

So, would you hire a male nanny? Why or why not?

Photo by Flickr member Dan Germain, used under a Creative Commons License.

gubeedal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gubeedal

My father is his grandkid's nanny and he is WONDERFUL at it. He works with the baby on a daily basis making sounds and working on fine motor skills. He also plays the guitar, he got a bike trailer so that they could go on bike rides and he just absolutely loves doing it. When we first told people my father would be watching our tot while at work, we got the strangest looks. and a lot of "why not your mom?" questions. Well, my dad is retired, and my mom is not.

jnelson203

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jnelson203

Men can be great caregivers. If only the world would let them. The stigma is such if a man shows compassion then he's not a man. This is true with my grand daughter father. She's 19 months old and he's just now showing interest in her. But if he had to cook anything for her, she'd go hungry because his mother never taught him how to cook.

amynance

quality posts: 6 Private Messages amynance

Staff

gubeedal wrote:My father is his grandkid's nanny and he is WONDERFUL at it. He works with the baby on a daily basis making sounds and working on fine motor skills. He also plays the guitar, he got a bike trailer so that they could go on bike rides and he just absolutely loves doing it. When we first told people my father would be watching our tot while at work, we got the strangest looks. and a lot of "why not your mom?" questions. Well, my dad is retired, and my mom is not.

That is so amazing and sweet. Good for him and good for you!