WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: About how many hours of TV are your kids watching a week?
  • 39.7% - 1-7 216
  • 22.1% - 8-14 120
  • 7.4% - 15-21 40
  • 4.8% - >21 26
  • 26.1% - As many as it takes to keep them quiet. 142
544 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

arrival

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arrival

I grew up without a TV... so are my kids. Around here the "Read your height in books" contests we have are our entertainment.

bblhed

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bblhed

Lets see, Sid the Science kid is on twice, Dinosaur Train, Sesame Street, Wild Krats, Cyberchase although she more plays with that on in the background.

Woah, that's like 15 hours a week!

bacalum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bacalum

Where was the option for less than one hour per week?

When rich or powerful people propose a change, it is designed to make them richer or more powerful.

viidim7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages viidim7
bacalum wrote:Where was the option for less than one hour per week?

I'm with Bacalum. My 3-year-old watches less than one hour of tv a week, only while I'm in the shower on Saturday morning. We prefer to play, read, and learn.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Ah yes, the electronic babysitter, or as Harlan Ellison put it, "the glass teat."

Its position as digital pacifier is quickly being usurped by the more portable smartphone and tablet.

compunaut

quality posts: 2 Private Messages compunaut

Now that school has started, there are too many activities going on to squeeze in much TV.

That being said, there are plenty of programs beyond the 'brain rot' that offer great learning opportunities: Sesame Street, Sid the Science Kid, Cyberchase, Fetch! (w/ Ruf Rufman) for the younger kids. My own are in 5th & 6th grades now and we watch lots of interesting shows on Discovery, Science, Nat Geo channels plus our old standby: NOVA.

What? OK, we're a family of geeks...

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

During the school year they are only allowed screen time (that includes both TV and computer screens) on the weekends and only an hour of each per day.