WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Sometimes I'll write about parenting issues that are trending in the media right now, other times I'll discuss things I've observed with friends or family. And then sometimes I'll talk about completely baffling personal experiences with no other purpose than to get validation from you guys that I'm not alone. Yeah. The following story is like that.

This morning when my son woke up, I unsnapped his footie jammies to find that his diaper had, quite literally, exploded and that he was covered from belly button to toe in globs of that weird, gelatinous diaper stuffing.

This isn't the first time that it's happened. It happened one other time and I thought maybe it was just a fluke or a defect in that particular diaper. But now I'm thinking it might be a thing. So tell me, fellow parents in crime. Have you experienced this? Is it just something that happens occasionally with any diaper? Is it brand-specific? We use the Pampers Baby Dry. He hasn't outgrown them. He's still well within the weight limit.

And then there's the icing on the proverbial cake. The next thing that happened is a harsh reminder that my life will never be the same post-baby. I set my son down on the floor (sans diaper) so I could clean off his changing pad. The next thing I know, I hear that telltale grunt. The panic flashed across my body like wildfire, and everything seemingly turned to slow-motion as I yelled, "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" But it was too late. There they were, both of them staring up at me with a smile. My 9-month-old son, and the single most well-formed baby poopie I've ever seen. UGH. I think they were both pretty proud of themselves. I, however, was mortified.

You're welcome.

Photo by Flickr member kona99, used under a Creative Commons License.

llynch99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages llynch99

Ah...ummm...thank you? For sharing? Especially that last part...

spiffshine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spiffshine

First off... Ha ha ha ha!

I'm allowed to laugh because the same thing has happened to me. I can blame one string of incidences on the wrong size diaper. However, since you already debunked that theory, let me offer a suggestion:

Make sure that the ruffly part at the edges is *tucked in* and not fluffed out around his legs. My husband swears by this and we haven't had a poo-splosion since employing this method.

mchapm11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mchapm11

I have not had that happen yet, my daughter has had diaper blow outs, but not of the variety that the diaper itself explodes. She is 15 months now, and we use pampers cruisers. I have never had good experiences with the pampers baby dry, even before she was walking everywhere. The baby dry diapers ended up giving her horrible rashes from where it rubbed up against her legs. Try switching up to huggies for a little while and see if that helps. If there are no pampers cruisers at the supermarket, we'll buy the huggies equivalent and have never had issues with those.

jenphilpot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenphilpot

The stuff only becomes jelly-like when it's super-saturated. Sounds like you have a peeful kid.

And a cutie, too boot.

osbarr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osbarr
mchapm11 wrote:I have not had that happen yet, my daughter has had diaper blow outs, but not of the variety that the diaper itself explodes. She is 15 months now, and we use pampers cruisers. I have never had good experiences with the pampers baby dry, even before she was walking everywhere. The baby dry diapers ended up giving her horrible rashes from where it rubbed up against her legs. Try switching up to huggies for a little while and see if that helps. If there are no pampers cruisers at the supermarket, we'll buy the huggies equivalent and have never had issues with those.

Agree! We only use the cruisers - never an explosion since!

amynance

quality posts: 6 Private Messages amynance

Staff

Thanks everybody! You are right about one thing, the diapers are super-saturated in the morning. So last night I bought him a size bigger and we didn't have that problem. I think once this pack runs out, I might try switching up the brand, too.

Astock27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Astock27

Really? I would have thought it was the exact opposite. I just had my first baby a couple of weeks ago and have a lot to learn. But my logical brain told that the ruffles should go on the outside so that the elastic is flush against the skin, thereby making a good seal. Does everyone else agree with the idea of tucking the 'ruffles' on the inside of the diaper? Or the outside? what makes the best seal?

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
amynance wrote:Thanks everybody! You are right about one thing, the diapers are super-saturated in the morning.

Yes, it's due to the volume of pee your son is generating. What makes the Pampers Baby Dry more susceptible to this (from what I can figure out, I've never had it happen with any other brand) is because they designed the diaper with more of that stuff inside to absorb the pee for a whole night and keep it away from the skin longer than a regular diaper. So there's more volume of pre-gelatinous stuff. It's amazing stuff, it will keep absorbing and absorbing water, but when the size expands and the cover around the diaper can't contain it, it just rips the diaper. I seem to recall there was a lawsuit regarding BabyDry diapers a few years back, and I thought they were discontinued? Maybe just redesigned.

amynance wrote:So last night I bought him a size bigger and we didn't have that problem.

Yep, you just need to put him in a larger size diaper overnight. You'll get more absorption power but a bigger diaper to contain it as well.

amynance wrote:I think once this pack runs out, I might try switching up the brand, too.

We've had the best luck overall with switching to Parent's Choice Diapers. I was skeptical at first, but they've worked great and we like them for a variety of reasons. One being that when the diaper gets full, our previous brand (Pampers, Huggies) felt like they would make the kid's pants... damp. Weird, I know, but it happened so often it wasn't a fluke. Switched to PC, and haven't had a single experience with damp pants even when a diaper gets really wet.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Astock27 wrote:Does everyone else agree with the idea of tucking the 'ruffles' on the inside of the diaper? Or the outside? what makes the best seal?

My experience has been the opposite of spiffshine. I usually only get side leaks when the ruffles have accidentally been tucked on the inside. (Otherwise our leaks all come from up-the-back-through-the-buttcrack on our chubby baby)

Mishvmd

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mishvmd

Agree with the others....had it happen sometime (he's been potty trained for over a year...woo!!!), and then discovered nighttime diapers....hold more and don't have the filling explode out.

Have fun, and be thankful for a formed BM....it could have been liquid.

Sadoul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sadoul

It can happen on almost any diaper. My son is 11 months old and I have also experienced the baby's diaper exploding from too much liquid, from just a normal night of sleep /mid night bottle.

But my son is addicted to water, wants a bath every time he sees the tub. So we ended up getting him a little outdoor pool. I'll admit I was lazy, didn't see the point in changing his diaper to a 'lil swimmer' diaper and I'd put him in the baby pool in his normal diaper. After a few minutes I would notice the gel silca floaties and pull him out. my wife called me a brainiac and told that was the difference between the diapers.

scottydawg187

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottydawg187

I never had this happen, but I mostly cloth diaper. We do use disposables about 2X a week (Pampers Cruisers). I would move him up a size. The listed weight limits do not always apply. For boys you can turn the diaper around, or get a diaper booster pads. 9 months is around the same time my daughter went through a heavy wetting phase. We added hemp inserts to her cloth diapers, and that worked. If I have to set her down w/o a diaper, then I put a prefold under her. She was a late crawler, so this worked up to about 10 months. Now I would have to put her in the pack n play after spreading out a blanket, which we do for naked time to help heal a yeast rash. Good luck, and I hope you never have a diaper explosion again No more floor poops, either. At least it's a fun story to tell his future girlfriend.

momma2dane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages momma2dane

We had the same issue with the gel exploding all over him inside his jams too. More than once even. We switched to cloth at about 18 months and never looked back. Now he is 4 and happily potty trained.

juneko74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juneko74
Astock27 wrote:Really? I would have thought it was the exact opposite. I just had my first baby a couple of weeks ago and have a lot to learn. But my logical brain told that the ruffles should go on the outside so that the elastic is flush against the skin, thereby making a good seal. Does everyone else agree with the idea of tucking the 'ruffles' on the inside of the diaper? Or the outside? what makes the best seal?

the ruffle part has to go to the outside and not the inside so you're doing it correctly.

Hope this help!

nevr2muchfun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nevr2muchfun

My little guy will be 9 months tomorrow and I've yet to find a brand that isn't prone to the concessional blow out. This is not my first child, so I've had occasion to try just about every brand under the sun. If your child is still in the weight limit (which doesn't always apply), and the night blow outs are graduating to pee blow outs, then it's time to go up a size just for the nighttime. FYI - Pampers run a little smaller than some of the competing brands - hint - Luvs are made by the same folks who make Pampers. Try to look at morning blow outs as a challenge to manage with a wiggling baby or toddler, and it's much more fun.

Ruffles definitely go on the outside.

krischej

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krischej

Reminds me of a Foxworthy joke...

And diapers... when they say on the box "6-12 pounds", they ain't liein'! That's all them things'll hold!

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

We used Pampers pretty much exclusively for our diapers, and then used Huggies Pull-ups for potty training. And now we're in that "nighttime potty training" phase where he doesn't use them at all!

orrymcleod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orrymcleod

I have had that happen.
It usually happens if it's too big of a pee, I find.
I also have had it happen when my son was in our pool with his diaper on - it was on the verge of exploding, and my husband (genius that he is) decided to THROW it in the air towards the outside garbage. Needless to say - it exploded mid-air and that lovely gel was ALL ove the yard.
It also will happen if you accidentally wash a diaper (my sister has done that twice!) - it's damn-near impossible to clean out of the washer, I'm told.

Anyway... I don't think it is brand specific, although, Pamper's never seemed to fit my son properly - we used Huggies and then switched to Walmart's ParentsChoice (which are great!)
I think it must have just reached the capacity of pee that it could hold and maybe if he was squirming around a lot it couldn't handle the pressure.

I think it's funny about the poop on the floor, though. Hopefully it was 'floor' and not 'carpet'!

babeykade

quality posts: 1 Private Messages babeykade

My son is also 9 months old and the same thing just started happening with him too.

I used a size bigger (even though he's still within the weight for size 3, I bought him size 4 and it holds SO much better). We use Luvs during the day and Huggies overnight diapers for night time.

Another trick...

DOUBLE DIAPER!! It worked beautifully. And by all means makes sure the front of his diaper is pulled up a little past his belly button because they sleep on their bellies and that's where the pee absorbs. It almost never goes into the back of the diaper you'll notice. Then put the second diaper on a little higher than the first so if the first leaks, you have a backup.

Hope this helps.