WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How do you feel about kids and drinking?
  • 33.3% - Not under my watch. No way, no how. 223
  • 17% - We have an understanding. If they drink, they call me to pick them up. 114
  • 48% - If they’re old enough to die for our country, they’re old enough to crack open a cold one. 321
  • 1.6% - Let’s get this party started in the comments section. 11
669 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

jelliebaby

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jelliebaby

Another choice I would have elected would be "if they're old enough to die for their country *and* are currently serving in the military......"

I don't support lowering the drinking age across the board, but would support legalizing drinking age for those serving in the military.

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12

I think we should return the drinking age to 18 as it was in 70's (some states were 19) & then put the voting polls in bars..that ought to improve voter turnout comsiderably.

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

gigi889

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gigi889

I picked the "they would call" one~but we DID NOT allow underage drinking. That never seemed to stop them much tho. Thank heaven they are grown now with kids of thier own.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

When she was young, our daughter would point to whatever we were drinking and ask, "What's that taste like?" We would let her have a tiny sip and get the expected "yuck." As she grew into her teen years, she showed little interest in alcohol. I think part of the reason was that there was no mystery about it. No one had ever told her that alcohol was a special grown-ups only treat she would have to wait to enjoy. She knew what the taste was and had seen the affects on adults and she wasn't a bit curious. YMMV.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981
RWoodward wrote:When she was young, our daughter would point to whatever we were drinking and ask, "What's that taste like?" We would let her have a tiny sip and get the expected "yuck." As she grew into her teen years, she showed little interest in alcohol. I think part of the reason was that there was no mystery about it. No one had ever told her that alcohol was a special grown-ups only treat she would have to wait to enjoy. She knew what the taste was and had seen the affects on adults and she wasn't a bit curious. YMMV.

My daughter has also been given a taste of beer before and therefore thinks beer is completely gross. She knows she is too young to drink, but there is no way she would want to. At least at this point in her life. She's only 9. While I would prefer if she doesn't drink as a teenager, if she does, the rules are basically that she stays wherever she's doing the drinking at. We live in Wisconsin, so its pretty much inevitable that she'll be drinking.

lysearedwolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lysearedwolf

I'd be far more likely to support the idea of raising the minimum recruitment age to 21. It would make more sense to send people off to war who have had time to gain some life experience Summer's Over!

jelliebaby wrote:Another choice I would have elected would be "if they're old enough to die for their country *and* are currently serving in the military......"

I don't support lowering the drinking age across the board, but would support legalizing drinking age for those serving in the military.

horseyb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages horseyb

I don't think we need to give kids total freedom all at once.

However, when my kids get to be teenagers, I know that I'd rather have them drinking at my own house than at someone else's. That being said, kids will be kids, and there's a good chance that at some point,they will be at someone else's house, drinking.

They're going to get in a lot less trouble if they call me, totally plastered, to come and get them, than if they're barely buzzed, but try to drive home, or if they ride home with anyone who has been drinking.

susiebsweet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages susiebsweet

What about "they can have some wine with dinner"... I want to teach them to drink responsibly, and to take some of the excitement out of booze by making it less of a taboo.

friartek

quality posts: 15 Private Messages friartek
susiebsweet wrote:What about "they can have some wine with dinner"... I want to teach them to drink responsibly, and to take some of the excitement out of booze by making it less of a taboo.

Responsibility and trust, not only in drink, but in all things. Raised 6 this way. Never had drinking problems with any of them. We couldn't be prouder of them. They are not only responsible drinkers, but responsible people in all thing.

tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
BOC: 4 Including the very last Woot!-off B)C. One of the lucky few.