inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Most of us have had great teachers through our school years. Perhaps it's the one that inspired you to go into the career you're in now - or become a teacher yourself!

Tell us about your #1 teachers!

Quality Posts

I'm just hanging out, really.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Mr. Jerry Stacy, 7th grade social studies, Gouverneur Jr. High.

He was the first teacher I ever had that tried to make sure learning was interesting and fun.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Geez, I had a few. One was Mrs. Link, choir teacher. She acknowledged that I had a voice, it was just loud, not very good. But at least I attempted to put some oomph in it during class.

Mr. Meier was another choir teacher - he let me belt out a Les Mis solo during a practice because he knew I missed the try-outs due to detention. It was a practice, but I OWNED that thing.

Both my drama teachers were incredible. I'll never forget dress rehearsal for "The Importance of Being Ernest" - "FOR CHRISSAKE, PRETEND YOU LIKE EACH OTHER!!!" - And the other one who managed to get the rights for us to do FAME but made my senior musical "Annie". (I decided I wanted to be Mrs. Greer. She didn't say no.)

These were all the people who shaped my warped, formative high school years. They were all Epic. :D

inkycatz

Moueska wrote:These were all the people who shaped my warped, formative high school years. They were all Epic. :D

A good choir teacher makes all the difference between "I am in this elective because I have to take something" and "I am rearranging my schedule just so I can get into this class". I had one in high school that was so awesome when I switched high schools I was immediately disappointed in the choir within a week and ended up in yearbook instead for the semester.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
Moueska wrote:Geez, I had a few. One was Mrs. Link, choir teacher. She acknowledged that I had a voice, it was just loud, not very good. But at least I attempted to put some oomph in it during class.

Mr. Meier was another choir teacher - he let me belt out a Les Mis solo during a practice because he knew I missed the try-outs due to detention. It was a practice, but I OWNED that thing.

Both my drama teachers were incredible. I'll never forget dress rehearsal for "The Importance of Being Ernest" - "FOR CHRISSAKE, PRETEND YOU LIKE EACH OTHER!!!" - And the other one who managed to get the rights for us to do FAME but made my senior musical "Annie". (I decided I wanted to be Mrs. Greer. She didn't say no.)

These were all the people who shaped my warped, formative high school years. They were all Epic. :D

Interesting that none of your selections taught academic subjects. I wonder if the fact that they taught in areas that require passion had something to do with their ability to inspire students.

inkycatz

RWoodward wrote:Interesting that none of your selections taught academic subjects. I wonder if the fact that they taught in areas that require passion had something to do with their ability to inspire students.

I thought my English teacher senior year (she was pretty much the only one I had any respect for) was pretty cool. Every time I'd say "well I finished all the reading" instead of "yes, you may go skip out and do newspaper stuff instead" she'd point at the shelf and go, well, pick something.

... it was filled with an awful lot of Shakespeare. It's her doing I'm a huge fan of Shakespeare now.

I'd love to hear of some computer and math teachers inspiring people, but so far not so much in the thread about that.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
RWoodward wrote:Interesting that none of your selections taught academic subjects. I wonder if the fact that they taught in areas that require passion had something to do with their ability to inspire students.

For what it's worth, Mr. Brown (first drama teacher/club sponsor mentioned) taught English, but I never had him for my classes. I always regretted that. I was NEVER inspired by my math teachers, they made me want to fall asleep most of the time.