WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a teenager who wouldn't change something about herself if given the chance. And I think you'd be even more hard-pressed to find a school where kids aren't bullied every day for those things they'd like to change.

Bullying is devastating, and sometimes life-threatening. When a kid gets harassed so badly that his thoughts turned to suicide, something has to be done. But at what point do you go from giving your kid pep talks to allowing him to have plastic surgery?

Some people will argue that plastic surgery is the "easy" way out. Why not just teach a kid to toughen up, ignore the haters and stand up for themselves? Having to deal with difficult situations builds character. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?

Now imagine it's your kid. She comes home crying every day after school. She makes up excuses so she doesn't have to go. The kids make fun of her ears. Call her Dumbo. Tell her she's ugly. Throw things at her. Ridicule her. Beat her down, figuratively and literally. She wants to die. And it kills you.

A doctor says he'll perform surgery to pin her ears back, and he'll do it for free.

Do you let him?

That's the decision a mother in Georgia had to make. Here's the article.

Photo by Flickr member e3000, used under a Creative Commons License.

ishoplive

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ishoplive

Maybe I will let the doctor help me. The teenagers won't be self-contemptuous. Also he doesn't want to be ridiculed.

Wiredog

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wiredog

At first glance I thought they gotta be kidding, plastic surgery on kids? But the article made it clear the girl had legitimate facial deformities and one person made a very good point about braces. I think all plastic surgery, adults included, should be entered into very carefully. If it is medically necessary, defiantly, but still weigh the risks. If it is just because of vanity, no need risking your life. There are plenty of cases of regret for surgeries done, like the actress who stared in a blockbuster then had rinoplastia and no one recognized her. She nearly destroyed her career for a smaller nose. In the case of the teen in the article, I would support the decision to have the surgery.

ilmatar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilmatar

I think the whole plastic surgery thing is bad. I mean, if someone has legitimate deformities, then it's OK to get that corrected, but not when just when someone's self conscious about their appearance. I think the young lady getting her ears pinned back was justified, but her nose and chin were fine just the way they were. A big part of growing up is learning to accept yourself for who you are, warts and all, and I feel like she's been cheated out of that.

raizypan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages raizypan

As someone who kept asking for a nose job for every birthday ever since I was 7, I completely relate. I got my wish when I was 17, due to the fact that insurance covered the procedure for breathing related issues. My self esteem was so damaged, I never smiled, for fear of my nose getting slightly longer. I walked with my head down, thinking if I wouldn't look at anyone, no one would see me.
I say if it ruins self esteem, it's crippling, and if it's crippling, it should be fixed.
My mistake was allowing my plasic surgeon correct my other issues. My nose healed wrong, and twelve years later, I have sinus issues, and can't stop mucus flow at all. That sucks.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

I followed this story, and saw many different pictures of the girl. In every one of them, she has her hair pulled behind her ears, accentuating them all the more.

If I were being picked on for having big ears, the last thing I would do is put my hair behind them. It's almost as though she were trying to draw attention to her ears. Maybe to justify the surgery she had decided she wanted?