WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Best way to beat the summer heat?
  • 63.1% - Turn on the AC! Never mind the cost! 389
  • 10.6% - Jump in the pool out back. Maybe you’ll wind up a swimming champion! 65
  • 5.7% - Drive to the pool somewhere else. Membership fees are cheaper than workmen. 35
  • 12.2% - Go to a movie! And maybe a double feature if you’re sneaky. 75
  • 4.7% - Go to a mall. Loitering is a time honored tradition. 29
  • 3.7% - I live in Seattle. “Summer heat” probably ended last weekend. 23
616 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

polkastria

quality posts: 6 Private Messages polkastria

Where I live, jumping in the pool just gives you a worse sunburn most of the time. When it's another week of 107 to 114 degrees.. you budget for AC.

bblhed

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bblhed

Where is the local lake or pond option?

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

A combination of the above. We try to run the A/C as little as possible, but if it hits 85 inside my house, I break down and turn the thing on. Sometimes we'll just go to a movie to beat the heat. And sometimes we'll go to a nearby river or lake to swim.

delta407

quality posts: 0 Private Messages delta407

Missing option: jump out of a plane. It's cooler at altitude, to the tune of 3.5º per 1000 feet -- fully 50º cooler at the top. I call it "nature's air conditioning".

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

I'm in South Florida. A/C is a way of life and bankruptcy. Old folk and teens go to the malls, hang out and cause trouble. The rich go to the islands (Caymans and ABCs and such) and the rest of us just sweat.

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta

Our A/C is horrible and cannot keep up with the heat outside. It will be set on 75 and running non-stop all day and at the end of the day it is 82 in the house (downstairs...more like 85 upstairs).

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

ishoplive

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ishoplive
polkastria wrote:Where I live, jumping in the pool just gives you a worse sunburn most of the time. When it's another week of 107 to 114 degrees.. you budget for AC.

Yeah! Sunburn is terrible. Last time, I traveled and didn't smear sunblock. I got hurt and allergic. It took me an extended period to recover. Also I didn't go to work.