pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Good morning. Getting warmer again today. Too bad.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

pooflady

Threads are screwed up because I posted in buckyballs two days ago, not 18 minutes ago.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Good morning. Getting warmer again today. Too bad.

Overcast here.
Not hot at all.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall
pooflady wrote:Threads are screwed up because I posted in buckyballs two days ago, not 18 minutes ago.

I just posted in there, and it's not showing up.

Here's hoping I didn't have anything useful to say.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dougall wrote:I just posted in there, and it's not showing up.

Here's hoping I didn't have anything useful to say.

No, I found 2 posts about where to buy them in the deleted post. That is how poof ended up being the last post.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dougall

dontwantaname wrote:No, I found 2 posts about where to buy them in the deleted post. That is how poof ended up being the last post.

So I'm broke?

awesome, must be all the buckyballs I just bought!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
dontwantaname wrote:No, I found 2 posts about where to buy them in the deleted post. That is how poof ended up being the last post.

A little note for folks who don't travel to deals (which is fine!) - we stopped accepting deals listings for these.

To quote the great jumbowoot:
"We will no longer accept offerings for buckyballs or similar items.
We will be removing all current posts for these items."

I'm just hanging out, really.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
inkycatz wrote:A little note for folks who don't travel to deals (which is fine!) - we stopped accepting deals listings for these.

To quote the great jumbowoot:
"We will no longer accept offerings for buckyballs or similar items.
We will be removing all current posts for these items."

LOL - I saw them the other day in their standard end of the register full box glory at a local store. I asked the clerk when they were going to clearance them and stated that they were now illegal. He hadn't heard, the other clerk (it's summer and all stores are slow here) came over and we talked about them. They laughed about the drunk college student theory (which in this town doesn't need explanation at all), and said they didn't even know if their merchandise manager knew yet.

Beware the V'owls screech!

dougall

KtCallista wrote:LOL - I saw them the other day in their standard end of the register full box glory at a local store. I asked the clerk when they were going to clearance them and stated that they were now illegal. He hadn't heard, the other clerk (it's summer and all stores are slow here) came over and we talked about them. They laughed about the drunk college student theory (which in this town doesn't need explanation at all), and said they didn't even know if their merchandise manager knew yet.

My understanding is that they are not illegal, but that the consumer product safety commission has asked (nicely I assume, without going so far as to say 'please') Maxfield and Oberton the company that manufactures said small mettalic balls, to stop doing so.

so, not illegal, but probably will be at some point in the future. But it's illegal to sell pointed lawn darts too.

so, Cliff's notes, not yet illegal, but not really worth stockpiling in case they do become so in the near future.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dougall wrote:My understanding is that they are not illegal, but that the consumer product safety commission has asked (nicely I assume, without going so far as to say 'please') Maxfield and Oberton the company that manufactures sais small mettalic balls, to stop doing so.

so, not illegal, but probably will be at some point in the future. But it's illegal to sell pointed lawn darts too.

so, Cliff's notes, not yet illegal, but not really worth stockpiling in case they do become so in the near future.

I just sent the deleted post information to my son's friend. He was trying to buy some.
He better not bring them here. They make me nervous.

The article about them said teens were swallowing them when they were using them as fake tongue piercings.
Although I bet drunks swallowed them on a dare.
Hell, when the laser pointers came out, they said not to shine them in eyes.
I know someone who went around pointing them at eyes.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

KtCallista

dougall wrote:My understanding is that they are not illegal, but that the consumer product safety commission has asked (nicely I assume, without going so far as to say 'please') Maxfield and Oberton the company that manufactures sais small mettalic balls, to stop doing so.

yeah, I'm fairly sure the place I saw them will pull them with just the "please". And by pull I mean sell what they have to dumb drunk college students and then not buy anymore.

KtCallista

I've actually thought about buying some to use for costuming. I think the small powerful magnets would be great for making pieces that connect together without any fasteners. Embed one magnet in each piece and maybe even have interchangeable pieces. But I'm a bit nervous having them in the house too (in a non-embedded state). Even my most rational child stuck a bead up her nose and didn't tell anyone when she was 4 years old. Isn't having hearing aid batteries (highly toxic when ingested) scary enough?

Not to mention they are the perfect size to make magnetic keys for puzzle boxes.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
KtCallista wrote:I've actually thought about buying some to use for costuming. I think the small powerful magnets would be great for making pieces that connect together without any fasteners. Embed one magnet in each piece and maybe even have interchangeable pieces. But I'm a bit nervous having them in the house too (in a non-embedded state). Even my most rational child stuck a bead up her nose and didn't tell anyone when she was 4 years old. Isn't having hearing aid batteries (highly toxic when ingested) scary enough?

Not to mention they are the perfect size to make magnetic keys for puzzle boxes.

Those are some really good use ideas, but I totally understand your nervousness about having them around in non-embedded form.

Unfortunately lots of people don't think like you do, therefore the big deal now about them.

I'm just hanging out, really.

dougall

KtCallista wrote:I've actually thought about buying some to use for costuming. I think the small powerful magnets would be great for making pieces that connect together without any fasteners. Embed one magnet in each piece and maybe even have interchangeable pieces. But I'm a bit nervous having them in the house too (in a non-embedded state). Even my most rational child stuck a bead up her nose and didn't tell anyone when she was 4 years old. Isn't having hearing aid batteries (highly toxic when ingested) scary enough?

if you look around you can find many different shapes and sizes, maybe something larger and not as strong for costuming, maybe something that can be sewn through to ensure it's attached

puzzle boxes seem interesting though... any links or more info?

KtCallista

dougall wrote:if you look around you can find many different shapes and sizes, maybe something larger and not as strong for costuming, maybe something that can be sewn through to ensure it's attached

puzzle boxes seem interesting though... any links or more info?

I was thinking about when connecting to leather or non-cloth pieces. I'm currently making two dresses that will have an attached styrofoam gem (because I ran out of time to do resin). I'm just going to use velcro even though that will look bad when the dress is worn without the gems (something I was hoping to avoid), but the material isn't such that it warrants magnetic attachment.

Some wooden, metal, or other material boxes us a hidden magnet as a latch to lock the box internally. Waving a powerful enough magnet (depending on the strength of the locking magnet and how buried in material it is) in the right path along the right place will slide the internal magnet to release the latch.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
dontwantaname wrote:Hell, when the laser pointers came out, they said not to shine them in eyes.
I know someone who went around pointing them at eyes.

you really shouldn't have shone the laser into people's eyes, dname!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:you really shouldn't have shone the laser into people's eyes, dname!

Turn around, I can't see your face.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Taking something off the market because of the stupidity of a few people makes everything vulnerable to nanny-state mentalities in government that would "safe" us into extinction.

Afternoon, folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

AZGman

Time to get horizontal; back in a bit.

KtCallista

AZGman wrote:Taking something off the market because of the stupidity of a few people makes everything vulnerable to nanny-state mentalities in government that would "safe" us into extinction.

Afternoon, folks.

We have plenty of ways to kill ourselves left. I think the biggest issue is that these look like toys, serve a very limited useful purpose and non-parents and people who shouldn't be parents can't tell that these are inappropriate for children - and how dangerous they can be. I think of all the magnetic executive toys that I played with as a kid while my parents dealt with bankers, auto loan guys, tractor parts guys, etc. This would fulfill that roll and if the guy whose desk it was on didn't think about the kid warning since he got it in a white elephant in the last office Christmas and stuck it on his desk and while he's got Mom and Dad's attention junior pops a couple little round magnetic candies.... wow that's a really bad thing for that dude. It wasn't even his kid. And what about the plethora of clueless grandmas? I mean the number of inappropriate gifts bought by well meaning and uninformed grandparents is astronomical. Besides baby walkers are still legal in the US and they kill more kids when inattentive parents, grandparents, and babysitters stick a kid in those and let them fall into things than buckyballs.

*off soapbox*

AZGman

AZGman wrote:Time to get horizontal; back in a bit.

Ahhhh . . . mo' bettah!

KtCallista

AZGman wrote:Ahhhh . . . mo' bettah!

mo jealous

about time for me to take the kids to town for the Waldo party and school supply shopping.... except they all need to go back to bed and give nap a really serious second try, since they failed the first time.

pooflady

I just gave a nap a half-assed try and succeeded admirably.

Dinner tonight - bratwurst patties on the grill (going to try some heated french fried onions on them), fresh corn on the cob, tomatoes!

Doing the corn in the microwave.

AZGman

KtCallista wrote:mo jealous

about time for me to take the kids to town for the Waldo party and school supply shopping.... except they all need to go back to bed and give nap a really serious second try, since they failed the first time.

I use to fail nap all the time; now I get straight A's . . . uhm, make that ZZZzzzZZZzzz's!

AZGman

Must be too early for unlimited loquacity; I can't wait for it.

G'night.

pooflady

Dinner's done. No work to do. What I'm hoping is a good book sitting beside me. What more can you ask?

no1

pooflady wrote:Dinner's done. No work to do. What I'm hoping is a good book sitting beside me. What more can you ask?

whirled peas
a slice of apple pie and a scoop of ice cream
a glass of wine
jet pack
the lovely mrs 1 (or equivalent for other people)

pooflady

no1 wrote:whirled peas
a glass of wine
jet pack

Caught myself just in the nick of time. Almost asked about whirled peas. I would have been mortified.

pooflady

Anybody know why water polo players wear those dorky hats that tie under the chin?

no1

pooflady wrote:Caught myself just in the nick of time. Almost asked about whirled peas. I would have been mortified.

//notes pooflady is anti-whirled peas

no1

pooflady wrote:Anybody know why water polo players wear those dorky hats that tie under the chin?

safety? they seem to have built-in ear shields.

edit: mite also help to i.d. one team from another, as they're not wearing much else...

pooflady

no1 wrote:safety? they seem to have built-in ear shields.

edit: mite also help to i.d. one team from another, as they're not wearing much else...

Still think they could come up with something a tad more stylish.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Still think they could come up with something a tad more stylish.

Didn't see that.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:whirled peas
a glass of wine
jet pack

?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:?

He's listing what more I could ask for. Have to admit, the apple pie sounds good.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:He's listing what more I could ask for. Have to admit, the apple pie sounds good.

What are whirled peas ?

Why shouldn't I ask?

Why did I buy another pack of monkeys?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner
pooflady wrote:He's listing what more I could ask for. Have to admit, the apple pie sounds good.

Poof, have you tried to grill corn on the cob with out shucking it? It is wonderful. The silk falls off and it has a great flavor. Hubby grills until it has grill marks or maybe a little longer. If it isn't just picked I soak it in the sink full of water for 10 minutes or so.

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:What are whirled peas ?

Why shouldn't I ask?

Why did I buy another pack of monkeys?

world peace

pooflady

joyner wrote:Poof, have you tried to grill corn on the cob with out shucking it? It is wonderful. The silk falls off and it has a great flavor. Hubby grills until it has grill marks or maybe a little longer. If it isn't just picked I soak it in the sink full of water for 10 minutes or so.

I just read somewhere that you shouldn't grill corn in the husk because that steams it, that you should hust it and grill it. Seems like it would burn.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:I just read somewhere that you shouldn't grill corn in the husk because that steams it, that you should hust it and grill it. Seems like it would burn.

Had it once at a family party. I think it was in the husk. It was really good.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!