no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
dontwantaname wrote:
Mosquitoes

Day time....mosquitoes
afternoon...mosquitoes
night...mosquitoes

The county sprayed lots of towns, but not us.

I wonder who has the standing water? It isn't me. Haven't been able to go outside since the nice weather started.

josephus.

edit: last post

no1

dontwantaname wrote:Don't want to talk about weather.
Don't want to talk about dog poo.

What do they want to talk about?

Don't go changing, to try and please me
You never let me down before
Don't imagine you're too familiar
And I don't see you anymore
I wouldn't leave you in times of trouble
We never could have come this far
I took the good times, I'll take the bad times
I'll take you just the way you are

Don't go trying some new fashion
Don't change the color of your hair
You always have my unspoken passion
Although I might not seem to care

I don't want clever conversation
I never want to work that hard
I just want someone that I can talk to
I want you just the way you are.

edit: "Joel wrote this song about his first wife, Elizabeth. He gave it to her as a birthday present. After 9 years of marriage, Joel divorced Elizabeth in 1982. "

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=810

last post.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Awning retracted again, so put new batteries in the sensor. So far, so good. It used to be able to get pretty windy before it retracted.

no1

pooflady wrote:Awning retracted again, so put new batteries in the sensor. So far, so good. It used to be able to get pretty windy before it retracted.

there's a presidential election coming up, so there's a bit more hot air around.

pooflady

no1 wrote:there's a presidential election coming up, so there's a bit more hot air around.

That's an understatement.

last post

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
no1 wrote:there's a presidential election coming up, so there's a bit more hot air around.

Boy howdy!

In the end only kindness matters

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

When do they pick the vice president?
Isn't it only a little over 3 months to the election?

Ugh, somehow both sides are sending me emails

Oboma is definitely overestimating how much I like him.

Romney somehow thinks I'm on his side.

I'm just waiting for the damn election to be over so I don't have to delete all these emails!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

no1

dontwantaname wrote:When do they pick the vice president?

they can smell $$$.

pooflady

Oboma is definitely overestimating how much I like him.

Romney somehow thinks I'm on his side.

I'm just waiting for the damn election to be over so I don't have to delete all these emails!

Wow, color me lucky. I don't get emails from any of them. Lousy telephone calls, which are even more annoying.

last post

KtCallista

quality posts: 32 Private Messages KtCallista
no1 wrote:they can smell $$$.

Their sensors for that must need new batteries because they keep harassing me as well.

Thanks so much Secret Santa!!

no1

KtCallista wrote:Their sensors for that must need new batteries because they keep harassing me as well.

i need new batteries too.

last post.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback

They call me and I can't vote.

last post

In the end only kindness matters

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

How long have you been an American?

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

AZGman

Afternoon, folks.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:they can smell $$$.

Not getting any from me.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:i need new batteries too.

last post.

I got one D cell in my last crap. It can be your, for a small fee.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AZGman wrote:How long have you been an American?

So you don't know either?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42
dontwantaname wrote:My mom heard the best the first week.
She hated it and made the audiologist dial it back. The audiologist tried her best to get mom back to that first setting, but it bother mom to actually hear.

That is why I think Poof should go for it. The longer you aren't hearing, the more comfortable you might get with no background noise.

I read as you get older the part of the brain that deals with background noise loses the ability to filter it out.

The whole hearing aids only work a few years and insurance won't pay is bullsh;t. It is the same with eyeglasses, but they aren't anywhere as expensive.

Why should people be disabled for no reason other than price.

It's a balancing act when you first get new aides. She was probably right in wanting to dial it back.

Three things have to happen.

1. You need to adjust the aides to compensate for the exact loss the individual has. It's usually a curve. I can't hear high pitches, some people can't hear low ones, etc. The only way to match that curve is through trial and error.

2. There are a lot of features you can adjust for different situations. You can filter background noise, set them to pick up music, transposition sound (for example, I can't hear high pitches, so the aides take dings and bells chiming and moves it to a lower pitch I can hear). The goal with this step is to bring out clarity of what you want to hear. Making everything louder often simply makes it harder to hear. There are about a 200 things the audiologist can tweak, but it's complicated and involves a lot of back and forth conversation.

3. Every time you adjust something you have to wait for the brain to adjust. That's why they recommend waiting a week between adjustments. The brain has you to get used to both the intensity and the new sounds. It has to place labels on things that you recognize because everything sounds different than it used to. Dialing it all the way up isn't always helpful, but you have to push as far as you can each time. It isn't uncommon to get headaches, I would take tylenol constantly for two days after every adjustment.

Adjusting hearing aides is like smearing colored paint over your glasses a little at a time in order to make everything look like a Van Gogh instead of a grey blob.

pooflady

Orcrist42 wrote:It's a balancing act when you first get new aides. She was probably right in wanting to dial it back.

Three things have to happen.

1. You need to adjust the aides to compensate for the exact loss the individual has. It's usually a curve. I can't hear high pitches, some people can't hear low ones, etc. The only way to match that curve is through trial and error.

2. There are a lot of features you can adjust for different situations. You can filter background noise, set them to pick up music, transposition sound (for example, I can't hear high pitches, so the aides take dings and bells chiming and moves it to a lower pitch I can hear). The goal with this step is to bring out clarity of what you want to hear. Making everything louder often simply makes it harder to hear. There are about a 200 things the audiologist can tweak, but it's complicated and involves a lot of back and forth conversation.

3. Every time you adjust something you have to wait for the brain to adjust. That's why they recommend waiting a week between adjustments. The brain has you to get used to both the intensity and the new sounds. It has to place labels on things that you recognize because everything sounds different than it used to. Dialing it all the way up isn't always helpful, but you have to push as far as you can each time. It isn't uncommon to get headaches, I would take tylenol constantly for two days after every adjustment.

Adjusting hearing aides is like smearing colored paint over your glasses a little at a time in order to make everything look like a Van Gogh instead of a grey blob.

Are you talking about you adjusting it all the way up? I thought most of them now weren't self-adjusting.

pooflady

Just had another severe storm. 70 mph winds. Three semis blown over on the expressway.

AZGman

dontwantaname wrote:So you don't know either?

Yes I do. You can look it up.

Orcrist42

pooflady wrote:So how do you know it needs tweaking?

(my laptop has been off for two days, hope you don't mind dredging up an old topic. )

You pay close attention and assume it will take at least 5 visits anyway.

Listen to what you can and can't hear and take notes. Sometimes after I get an adjustment, I would be able to hear Ver1 but not Ver3. Sometimes the TV is incomprehensible and other times less so. Sometimes I can't hear a thing in a loud room or certain sounds are too intense and others are muddled.

If your loss is a straight line (i.e. everything is just quieter), then they can just boost the volume across the board and it might work, but that is barely ever the case. Most people's loss is a curve across the frequencies.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dontwantaname wrote:So you don't know either?

Wikapedia doesn't seem to know either.
I did find a list of possibilities. Only 3 people on it would sway me at all.

Two of those fit my grandfathers voting criteria, which was ....first you vote for the Italians.

He was confused when I said, but Grandpa, I'm Italian, German, Irish and Scottish. By the time I vote for all of those, there be nobody left.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Orcrist42 wrote:(my laptop has been off for two days, hope you don't mind dredging up an old topic. )

Listen to what you can and can't hear and take notes. Sometimes after I get an adjustment, I would be able to hear Ver1 but not Ver3. Sometimes the TV is incomprehensible and other times less so. Sometimes I can't hear a thing in a loud room or certain sounds are too intense and others are muddled.

If your loss is a straight line (i.e. everything is just quieter), then they can just boost the volume across the board and it might work, but that is barely ever the case. Most people's loss is a curve across the frequencies.

She really only wants to hear the gossip. Nothing else. She never let the settings go back up to being able to hear right.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Just had another severe storm. 70 mph winds. Three semis blown over on the expressway.

You need to move.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Orcrist42

pooflady wrote:Are you talking about you adjusting it all the way up? I thought most of them now weren't self-adjusting.

The hearing aides have their own internal settings that the audiologist sets.

You have a simple volume switch that you can use to make them louder and quieter.

All you get is a volume switch. The audiologist gets a professional sound board that they get to use to set all the individual gains, base, treble, filters, and overall intensity.

pooflady

Orcrist42 wrote:(my laptop has been off for two days, hope you don't mind dredging up an old topic. )

I doubt if it's straight line. I can hear high tones much better than low ones. I don't hear the thunder like my husband does. On the other hand, he doesn't hear the turn signal when he's driving, but I do. And a lot of mine is also understanding as opposed to volume.

no1

dontwantaname wrote:Two of those fit my grandfathers voting criteria, which was ....first you vote for the Italians.

He was confused when I said, but Grandpa, I'm Italian, German, Irish and Scottish. By the time I vote for all of those, there be nobody left.

he pretty clearly told you to vote italian and you responded with three other types? "something wrong with your hearing?"

AZGman

G'night.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:I doubt if it's straight line. I can hear high tones much better than low ones. I don't hear the thunder like my husband does. On the other hand, he doesn't hear the turn signal when he's driving, but I do. And a lot of mine is also understanding as opposed to volume.

The understanding is probably because you are missing some of the softer tones, the hearing aids can pick those up a bit once you get them working for you.

KtCallista

AZGman wrote:G'night.

Goodnight GMan. Have a good weekend!

no1

frankakashane wrote:

i think it would be funny if this guy got last post, but ... no.

pooflady

no1 wrote:i think it would be funny if this guy got last post, but ... no.

You're right, no.

Orcrist42

no1 wrote:i think it would be funny if this guy got last post, but ... no.

and of course by saying that you guarantee it won't happen.

pooflady

Zucchini boats for dinner tonight. Not bad.

no1

Orcrist42 wrote:and of course by saying that you guarantee it won't happen.

or your money back!

no1

pooflady wrote:Zucchini boats for dinner tonight. Not bad.

wadja put inside?

pooflady

no1 wrote:wadja put inside?

The insides of the zucchini, ground chicken, red pepper, garlic, onion. Covered with marinara, mozarella, and some parmesan.

no1

pooflady wrote:The insides of the zucchini, ground chicken, red pepper, garlic, onion. Covered with marinara, mozarella, and some parmesan.

mmm, sounds pretty good. now imma hungry.

no1

pooflady wrote:The insides of the zucchini, ground chicken, red pepper, garlic, onion. Covered with marinara, mozarella, and some parmesan.

i wonder how it would taste with sausage or ground pork instead of chikken.