Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

As the father of three daughters, I appreciate anything that will get them out of the pink aisle of the toy section. Here are three examples of toy marketing that - while, yes, they're still selling stuff to kids - at least treat little girls like they can do more than dream about being princesses.

XBOX Kinect: Girly Vader: maybe it's unfair that I partially blame the video-game industry for turning so many young American males today into monsters, but I do. This much-talked-about Kinect ad puts a girl in the (imaginary) black helmet - a small step back but a welcome one.

Vintage LEGO Ad
: Jezebel unearths an old LEGO ad featuring a happy kid having fun building stuff. The kid happens to be a girl. My own little girls - who do their share of princess dreaming, too - are more the Lincoln Logs type.

Girls Explore Historical Doll Sets: female heroes like Amelia Earhart, Mary Cassatt, Harriet Tubman, and shortstop/MD Dot Richardson add brains, guts, and strength to the vapid fashion-doll archetype.

How do you tear your daughters away from their glitter-pony-tiara play, if only for a little while?

Thanks to inkycats for the suggestions!

Hodakaroadtoad

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Hodakaroadtoad

I just don't dwell on it. One day my daughter is playing with Barbies, the next it's fart putty....My Little Pony and then video games(most probably not mom approved).

The point is, they're kids...just let them play and don't over think it...

Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking that there should not be toys marketed for boys or girls. Marketing only takes advantage of natural inclinations. Most girls want pretty, pink things. It's natural. Just don't limit what they play with to only those choices. I get sad when I hear a parent tell a child, "That's for boys(or girls)" when I'm in the toy aisle. My daughter and I walk them all and I let her make those decisions...

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

I've never met a kid - boy or girl - who didn't appreciate some good fart humor.

lstaff

quality posts: 197 Private Messages lstaff

”How do you take them away from their pink glittery ponies?” ( to paraphrase). You don't. There is a reason girls grow up to be caring, nurturing and maternal. It starts in their play. IMHO, you create the strong leaders and innovators, etc. by giving them strong independent achieved role models, believe in their passions, and empower them in their decision making, no matter how small a decision. But don.t mess with their pink pony play, you will be defeating yourself and creating a miserable kid with poor social skills.

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12

I just wanted to say you can eliminate a LOT of what kids THINK they want by shutting off the darned TV. My kids never ask for the "hot toys" because they don't know what they are generally because we don't watch TV. Seriously. I also think the over-marketing of pink is nauseating. When I was a girl we had girl things (like dolls & ponies) and they came in MORE colors then lavender & pink. I think marketers may be exploiting things kids already like, but they are also reinforcing brainwashing children into liking things they don't "inherently" like. Pink is NOT a "girl color". It is just a color. 100 years ago pink was for BOYS (though tot be watered down red for bloodshed of men) and BLUE was for girls, thought to be virginal & pure like Mother Mary. It flipped. In china, pink is for boys & yellow is for girls. So while I am FINE with selling dolls to little girls, I think making it all procreatehsia is gross & overdone. It makes me a tad annoyed that we start brainwashing little girls to like pink at birth when we now make their beds, car seats, exersaucers & everything else pink & gendered. whatever happened to babies just being babies. Surely toddlers start having some toy preference,s but NO baby gives a rip what color their car seat is or their Bumbo seat.

That is my 2 cents coming from a mom of boys that would love to find a shopping cart to buy in a regular toy store that ISN'T bright pink. My son wants a cart but when I offer to get him that one he says that one is for girls, it is pink & in the girl's toy aisle. (Melissa & Doug sell a metal one that is realistic for $80 - my kids doesn't want one THAT bad).

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time