zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

baffles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages baffles

Woot Info Post
Wooters.us - all your woots are belong to us

Time-Out Pad [New] - $7.99 + $5 shipping

1 * HD015 Time-Out Pad

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

I have absolutely no words for this. If I were a kid I'd rather be spanked...

Oh my word.

bookworm79

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bookworm79

Amazon is $17.99.

[MOD: Fixed link. Don't use quotes around URLs]

Dear Woot: I love you. Sincerely, Me

toenacious

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toenacious

No thanks! That looks way to cool to be used as punishment. I think I'll stick to our dusty ol' boring corner. No fun allowed!!

srm8ib4

quality posts: 5 Private Messages srm8ib4

so time out is a game now?

mrsalexroman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsalexroman

wow, I thought kitchen timers worked well for time out

wootasourous

quality posts: 119 Private Messages wootasourous

If I were a kid put on this mat by my parents, I would almost rather disobey the timeout than actually just sit there only to make the noise, assuming it's loud and obnoxious.

lovethatfusion

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lovethatfusion

I think this is a great idea! It's so helpful for small kids to have a visual of how long they have left, otherwise it just seems like eternity...

djenkins1982

quality posts: 15 Private Messages djenkins1982

This is either the best or worst idea ever. I can't decide which, though.

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
mrwednesday wrote:I have absolutely no words for this. If I were a kid I'd rather be spanked...

I have some. Timeouts of 5 minutes or less are pointless. You may as well give the kid a lollipop as punishment.

ahulett

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ahulett

surfcitydave

quality posts: 11 Private Messages surfcitydave

My kid would get off the pad just to hear the alarm!

mrsalexroman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsalexroman
Spiky wrote:I have some. Timeouts of 5 minutes or less are pointless. You may as well give the kid a lollipop as punishment.

disagree with that. time outs for my 3 y/o at 3 mins is quite effective. having said that, i don't think time out on this thing would be effective at all. he would think it was "cool"

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
lovethatfusion wrote:I think this is a great idea! It's so helpful for small kids to have a visual of how long they have left, otherwise it just seems like eternity...

Having it feel like eternity is part of the point of a time out. I can see the benefit of having an alert if the child left the mat. My middle child is a wanderer. She gets bored and wanders off forgetting what's going on (especially at nap). I wish I could set this to 2 hours and have it notify me when she gets out of bed.

Beware the V'owls screech!

CaptainWes

quality posts: 102 Private Messages CaptainWes

This sounds like one of those things the insane disciplinarian families on those spouse swapping shows use. Whats up tomorrow Woot, Kid-Sized Radio Shock Collars????

Hey, that sounds kind of cool actually.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost

Reviews at shopintl.com

ladybesu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ladybesu

I'd like to use this as a parent on those rough days. Lock myself in the bathroom/closet/spare room to let me cool off. I think I'd want more than five minutes, though.

Bandrik

quality posts: 71 Private Messages Bandrik

I don't like where this is going. I don't like it at all. All we need now is for some greedy jerk of an entrepreneur to take this concept and roll with it... with a plate of contempt and a side of wickedness.

Imagine what it would be like if this were adapted to the corporate world? If office employees had chairs with pads like this built into them, where you would be forced to sit for a pre-determined amount of time, and violating the timer by standing up early would set off an alarm... or worse, dock you pay and make you come back in on Saturday!

Heck, I just now realized how closely related a time-out punishment is to a desk job. What a terrible thing to conclude with!

I'm telling you, this would be evil. Pure evil. I mean, who the hell would come up with something so sinister? Oh... wait...

*backs away slowly, then flees*

CaptainWes

quality posts: 102 Private Messages CaptainWes
Bandrik wrote:I don't like where this is going. I don't like it at all. All we need now is for some .... entrepreneur ....

I'm telling you, this would be evil. Pure evil. I mean, who the hell would come up with something so sinister? Oh... wait...

*backs away slowly, then flees*

I'm filing the patents as we speak.

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

We don't have kids yet, but my wife is interested in a couple for work.

mkentosh

quality posts: 308 Private Messages mkentosh

brieanna

quality posts: 47 Private Messages brieanna

Why does the blue on the pad look like it's flaking off?

I like my signature.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

This product has also opened to me the wide, wide world of youtube timeout videos. I'm not sure if it's more creepy watching parents put their kids in corners or the fact that a lot of parents have posted the videos.

brieanna

quality posts: 47 Private Messages brieanna
mrwednesday wrote:This product has also opened to me the wide, wide world of youtube timeout videos. I'm not sure if it's more creepy watching parents put their kids in corners or the fact that a lot of parents have posted the videos.

I think its creepy people would want to watch that.

I like my signature.

mkentosh

quality posts: 308 Private Messages mkentosh

Company web site with other behavior correcting items

http://timeoutpad.com/

DigMe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages DigMe

We have one of these and it has really helped to focus our child. He's the type that gets into processes and focusing in on some goal. Previously we had a hard time getting him to stay in a time-out area. He just wasn't understanding it (he's 2). He would go to the corner, stick his nose in it and then immediately come back. With the TO pad he quickly figured out about the time and the alarm going off when you get off the pad, etc.. This is an excellent price too.

The battery life is very good. We've had the same AAs in there for a long time.

DigMe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages DigMe
brieanna wrote:Why does the blue on the pad look like it's flaking off?

It's just the light reflecting off of the shiny outer layer. This has been very durable.

NightGhost

Can a really smart kid use a coin to reduce the length of his time-out?

NightGhost

mkentosh wrote:The time out pad in action!

http://www.bumpto3.com/images/en-gb/products/hd001_main.jpg

I can imagine what the photo shoot was like:

No kid, you're not supposed to smile. I don't care how much we're paying you, FROWN, you little whippersnapper!

Okay, if you don't listen, we'll make you sit on the time-out pad. That's not supposed to be funny, you....

HaxRomana

quality posts: 2 Private Messages HaxRomana
NightGhost wrote:Can a really smart kid use a coin to reduce the length of his time-out?

Why should the dumb, smart, and moderately smart kids be restricted from attempting bribery?

"Permasuck, from Frobozz Electric! We don't make things that suck, we make things that suck, permanently!"

compassstl

quality posts: 30 Private Messages compassstl

First off: does time-out really actually work?

Second: if you use this, you're putting your child on the pad. Shouldn't that be saved for later, and not seen as a negative thing?

grassynoel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages grassynoel
DigMe wrote:It's just the light reflecting off of the shiny outer layer. This has been very durable.

Chinese cadmium vinyl.

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24

I just can't get onboard with this. As a parent using timeouts, I have just told my kids to stay away from me and others during this time. Last thing I want is for there to be no rapprochement between my kids and me afterwards (ie, no getting up and running).

A timeout, by design, is a traumatic experience. I want them to have face time with me before going, so I can reaffirm that although I don't like what they did, I still love them.

scottman54

quality posts: 34 Private Messages scottman54

So I'm guessing you put this on them like a bib, and squeeze their necks into that 3-size hole looking thing. Yeah, must be how it works.

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 55 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

I would think the description would give dimensions somewhere.

UofIKappaDelta

quality posts: 7 Private Messages UofIKappaDelta

I don't think I'd buy one of these for my child... I would hope that I could teach a child to sit in one place for a few moments as a punishment correctly...

but I am going to buy a few of these for dog training!!!

We're going to use them to teach the dogs to go upstairs to a "place" ie: the mats, and then will know if they get up via the bad noise... and then reinforce them with treats with the "good noise" when the time is up... wonderful.

Now when someone knocks at the door... I can convince my dogs to go away and not jump on the people, but quietly and happily retreat to their "timeout pads"!

HA!

Jeus

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Jeus

this video lets you hear the sounds the pad makes.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com                                                                                                   (8:11 AM, 7/9/2010) Jeus framed the first letter of its kind

servili007

quality posts: 3 Private Messages servili007

It's quite disturbing that people see this as "insanely disciplinary." Timeouts should not have a time length that the child waits for and should not make fun noises, it will not teach a thing. I don't know what's more ridiculous, this product or people letting their kids do whatever they want.

ianholland

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ianholland

"Parents have been led to believe that children will use time-out to think about what they did and regain some modicum of self-control. In reality, when children act in inappropriate, aggressive, or obnoxious ways, they are often harboring such strong pent-up feelings that they are unable to think clearly about their actions. Far more helpful than isolation is an attentive listener who can encourage the expression of honest feelings. The healthy release provided by talking, crying, or raging may even prevent the recurrence of unwanted behavior."

Above is a quote from the following article:

The Disadvantages of Time-Out