1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

cinoclav

quality posts: 218 Private Messages cinoclav

The Baby Genius website.

Lots of items here, I won't force you all to see the bunches of links.

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks

Are these hazardous if my child is not a genius? I wouldn't want to put out an eye.

Stewlacher54

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stewlacher54

Well the Amazon reviews seem mostly positive, I'm in for a set. Seems like a good deal, you would spend 30 bucks on just the DVDs on Amazon.

DCno10

quality posts: 376 Private Messages DCno10
parrotworks wrote:Are these hazardous if my child is not a genius? I wouldn't want to put out an eye.

I'm sorry, but if DVDs, CDs and books are hazardous to your child then you might want to reconsider your parenting methods.

yeawuteva

quality posts: 115 Private Messages yeawuteva

my children have some of the Baby Genius items and they always bring smiles to their faces

carl18192000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carl18192000
parrotworks wrote:Are these hazardous if my child is not a genius? I wouldn't want to put out an eye.

They go in a dvd/cd player not in his eye!
dont you ever read directions?

Crlygrl34

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Crlygrl34

We do baby signing time and LOVE it and have been thinking about getting something to add to it. Do you know if these are OK for a 1 year old?

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 43 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

Well, since Disney just lost some type of lawsuit regarding the Baby Genius products and agreed to refund the money to anybody that purchased their DVDs, can I buy these and then have them give me my money back?

(The lawsuit was that they were unable to substantiate the claim that these will make your baby any smarter.)

eartha

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eartha

We have several of these DVDs and CDs and LOVE them! We even bought extras and gave them to friends with little kids because they were so good. We only use the ones with singing (Favorite Sing-a-Longs, Favorite Nursery Rhymes) and never cared for the ones with instrumental music (Underwater Adventures). If I didn't already have half these products, I would totally buy this set.

eartha

DaZoneRanger wrote:Well, since Disney just lost some type of lawsuit regarding the Baby Genius products and agreed to refund the money to anybody that purchased their DVDs, can I buy these and then have them give me my money back?

(The lawsuit was that they were unable to substantiate the claim that these will make your baby any smarter.)

You are thinking of Baby Einstein, which is a different brand.

PhilBrandn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PhilBrandn
DaZoneRanger wrote:Well, since Disney just lost some type of lawsuit regarding the Baby Genius products and agreed to refund the money to anybody that purchased their DVDs, can I buy these and then have them give me my money back?

Pretty sure that was for Baby Einstein, not for these

JRuegg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JRuegg

Actually, Disney's line is Baby Einstein. Not that these are much different.

I have two of the dvds. I have a 1 year old twins. They love these things like crazy. They always dance and clap along to the songs. I don't ever want to watch the darn thing again, but they sure do.

DaZoneRanger

eartha wrote:You are thinking of Baby Einstein, which is a different brand.

Whoops! That's right!

DaZoneRanger

If you guys say your kids love them, then maybe I ought to pick these up. Right now, my child watches the "Your Baby Can Read" videos, and for some reason, she likes them. She also like to clap and wave, when those parts come on, and the "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" song always makes her smile. Other than that, I can play Ni Hao Kai Lan or Yo Gabba Gabba, and she'll sit/stand and watch them all day long. I guess, she could probably use a little more variety.

She's 16 months.

DaZoneRanger

When they say "board book," does that mean these are the type with thick cardboard pages? My baby still needs the extra thick ones, because she torn up one of the Your Baby Can Read books, and it's also made of cardboard, only it's very thin cardboard.

eartha

DaZoneRanger wrote:If you guys say your kids love them, then maybe I ought to pick these up. Right now, my child watches the "Your Baby Can Read" videos, and for some reason, she likes them. She also like to clap and wave, when those parts come on, and the "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" song always makes her smile. Other than that, I can play Ni Hao Kai Lan or Yo Gabba Gabba, and she'll sit/stand and watch them all day long. I guess, she could probably use a little more variety.

She's 16 months.

The Sing-A-Long and Nursery Rhymes videos are 30 minutes of upbeat, catchy music with images of animals and children playing and an occasional animated music video. That's it. No story or pretense of education. My kid is *huge* into music, so he adored these videos. If your kid doesn't respond much to music, then they won't be into this. The Underwater Adventures video is classical music with images from an aquarium, so if they are really big into fish or something maybe they would like that. But if neither is the case then it's probably not worth it. HTH.

bd134

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bd134

Link for the last one, 5 Little Monkeys Jumpin' on the Bed: A Sing 'N Count Book (Board book)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416976434/sr=8-1/qid=1258445883

HeadacheSlayer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages HeadacheSlayer

I got the DVDs when my son was born. They are AWESOME compared to all the other "baby xyz" DVDs out there. The video is lovely, the music is NOT annoying, and honestly we were both entertained. He was mesmerized by them and I got to catch a few desperately needed Z's.

Great deal, won't rot their brains...or yours ;)

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale

I think I will be getting this for my godson. He's had a few Baby Einstein videos played for him ever since he was born to soothe him when we'd lay him down to sleep. Not for him to watch but for him to listen to.

kateybee

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kateybee

Not to be a buzz kill, but babies should not be watching TV at all. Even this so-called educational stuff is not good for infants as thier brain is not developed enough to process the information on screen. It just confuses them enough to keep them quiet as they attempt to grasp what is going on with the bright movements in that big box. The American Academy of Pediatricians recommends no TV for children under two. However, the CDs are probably really great and music is always beneficial and fun for babies and young children!
(And yes, I am a mom, and no my children did not watch TV until after two. In fact my daughter, age three, still couldn't care less about TV, though my six year old son would happily stare at the boob tube as long as I would let him- which is why I limit it to one hour on weekdays and two at MOST on weekends.)

laurab01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laurab01

If you bought each item individually, it would retail for ~$75 (not including s/h).

arod87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arod87
kateybee wrote:Not to be a buzz kill, but babies should not be watching TV at all. Even this so-called educational stuff is not good for infants as thier brain is not developed enough to process the information on screen. It just confuses them enough to keep them quiet as they attempt to grasp what is going on with the bright movements in that big box. The American Academy of Pediatricians recommends no TV for children under two. However, the CDs are probably really great and music is always beneficial and fun for babies and young children!
(And yes, I am a mom, and no my children did not watch TV until after two. In fact my daughter, age three, still couldn't care less about TV, though my six year old son would happily stare at the boob tube as long as I would let him- which is why I limit it to one hour on weekdays and two at MOST on weekends.)

So If you really think that the "boobtube" is bad for children under two, apparently you are form another planet because I know my parents let us watch things on tv before two and we all are fine, she had ten kids by the way

LTE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LTE
arod87 wrote:So If you really think that the "boobtube" is bad for children under two, apparently you are form another planet because I know my parents let us watch things on tv before two and we all are fine, she had ten kids by the way

The more ecumenical statement would be, I think, that different children are different, and that too much TV can affect some children differently.

How much TV and which kids? We don't know until the damage is done, unfortunately, so the idea is to be safe rather than sorry; I'm more of the position that moderation is the most sane option.

My child is turned away from the TV whenever it's on, and it's never loud. Still, he cranes his head every time the Rachel Maddow show is on, so we let him watch: he smiles the entire show, but doesn't care about the commercials.

kateybee

arod87 wrote:So If you really think that the "boobtube" is bad for children under two, apparently you are form another planet because I know my parents let us watch things on tv before two and we all are fine, she had ten kids by the way

When we were children (I am assuming you're roughly late 20s/early 30s) there were very limited TV options. Truly, we had a few shows in morning on PBS or Saturday morning cartoons- which were FAR better than the scaffolding ones that are on now! That was it. Today there are dozens of channels devoted to children. Heck- PBS Sprout and Noggin are 24 hours! What 3 year old is chilling out watching Caillou or Dora at 3am?! Children today are exposed to TV too much. In many homes it is on all day even if no one is watching it. What a waste of electricty/money as well as keeping people from getting off their butts and having fun outside.

And no offense, but just because your parents raised ten children doesn't mean they did everything right. Mine raised four and didn't do everything perfect. I'm raising two (soon to be three) and God knows I'm not perfect!! But I'm still from the same planet as the TV watching children's moms.

crazycow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazycow

I let my son (4 months) watch TV, but I do limit what he can watch. He loves Spongebob because of all the colors and the songs, and he enjoys a few other kid shows. Sometimes when I'm watching Law and Order CI and NCIS, though, he'll turn around in his Exer-Saucer to watch it. I don't know; apparently, my little man's got a man-crush on Vincent D'Nofrio, Mark Harmon, and Michael Weatherly. :P

In all seriousness, it totally depends on the child and parenting style when it comes to TV time. We're dairy farmers, and when our kids get older, there's going to be no TV until the farm chores and house chores are done. No TV until the cows come home, quite literally.

I got this set because I think that my son could use a little variety in his rare TV time.

pennvoid20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennvoid20
kateybee wrote:When we were children (I am assuming you're roughly late 20s/early 30s) there were very limited TV options. Truly, we had a few shows in morning on PBS or Saturday morning cartoons- which were FAR better than the scaffolding ones that are on now! That was it. Today there are dozens of channels devoted to children. Heck- PBS Sprout and Noggin are 24 hours! What 3 year old is chilling out watching Caillou or Dora at 3am?! Children today are exposed to TV too much. In many homes it is on all day even if no one is watching it. What a waste of electricty/money as well as keeping people from getting off their butts and having fun outside.

And no offense, but just because your parents raised ten children doesn't mean they did everything right. Mine raised four and didn't do everything perfect. I'm raising two (soon to be three) and God knows I'm not perfect!! But I'm still from the same planet as the TV watching children's moms.

Here is a summary of the research which is the basis of this discussion:

http://www.pbs.org/parents/childrenandmedia/article-faq.html

comet9443

quality posts: 0 Private Messages comet9443

The American Academy of Pediatricians recommends no TV for children under two.

The AAP also recommends my son get a boatload of shots before age 2--many for things he has no need to worry about at that age (Hep B--he is not sexually active nor a drug user, thank you). Instead of following that schedule, we are following a more realistic one that we and our peds agree to. Guess I'm a bad mom because I'm not a sheep on that issue, either, eh?

My son (1) is not watching tv all day, he has a couple shows in the morning he enjoys, and a few at night. In between, he's playing (with me), napping, eating, etc. It isn't a great idea to be outside right now, it's cold. WE'll stay where it's warmer, thanks. Last summer we went to parks, swam, played outside at our house.

My pint is that the AAP are not gods, they have recommendations not laws. When did you turn your children around forward facing in thier carseats? When will you turn around this one you're expecting? AAP recommends 2, we're waiting until we hit the limit of our seat (40 lbs). Google it to see why--"extended rear facing".

tryingtoquit

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tryingtoquit
pennvoid20 wrote:Here is a summary of the research which is the basis of this discussion:

http://www.pbs.org/parents/childrenandmedia/article-faq.html

And another...

http://uwnews.washington.edu/ni/article.asp?articleID=35898

It's not just that "Oh, Baby Einstein videos are bad and the others are good." The whole point is that children under the age of 2, in particular should have NO screentime, and children older than 2 should have it very limited.

I'm sure children are entertained by these...that's not the issue. In fact, that IS the problem. Infants and young toddlers should not be being entertained by television...they should be getting those interactions from real people.

These titles "Baby Genius," "Baby Einstein," etc. are misleading because they make it seem as if these are educational early childhood videos, when, in fact, they've been proven (along with all other screen-time) to be potentially detrimental to a young child's development.

gqudsi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gqudsi

It wasn't Baby Genius it was Baby Einstein that the suit was against.

MindlessAutomata

quality posts: 8 Private Messages MindlessAutomata

As with all baby products, realize one thing: it's not the babies they are selling the products to, it's the parents.

deload

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deload

The Baby Einstein series by Disney is offering refunds for anyone that purchased it all the way back to 2004 because studies have shown babies learn fewer words per hour watching a DVD than playing in mud. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/24/business/main5417254.shtml
Just interact with your kids. It's cheaper and they will be smarter.

kateybee

comet9443 wrote: It isn't a great idea to be outside right now, it's cold. WE'll stay where it's warmer, thanks. Last summer we went to parks, swam, played outside at our house.

My pint is that the AAP are not gods, they have recommendations not laws. When did you turn your children around forward facing in thier carseats? When will you turn around this one you're expecting? AAP recommends 2, we're waiting until we hit the limit of our seat (40 lbs). Google it to see why--"extended rear facing".

I'm with you entirely on the car seat one!!!! I actually think AAP says age one (and 20 lbs)to turn it around. I am quite the car seat stickler myself and my three year old is still rear facing. (I get plenty of questions and odd looks about that one!)

But I'm not with you on the no going outside one. I'm in Maine and it's cold much of the year. (Although not as bad as some people from outside of Maine think- we do actually get a summer season.) My children play outside a lot year round. That's why they make gloves, boots, snowpants, etc.

But I am big on do what is right for your own family. I was just stating what research has found regarding this subject. (I have my Bachelors in Early Childhood Education and it was the subject of almost a month of one class plus being brought up time and time again throughout college.) I don't think anyone is a bad parent or good parent based on any of these issues. Like I said, my older son watches TV. It's not like I'm anti-TV in any way for children and adults who are past the critical brain development stage where bright, fast moving lights and colors can be detrimental. But, honestly, if it keeps Mama sane to get a break and your child won't play by him or herself happily then by all means, grab that moment of sanity where you can get it!

justashmoe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justashmoe

Why isn't Kids.woot "woot-offing?

toolguy942

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toolguy942

Nevermind.

fait

quality posts: 16 Private Messages fait

Let common-sense prevail, people. TV won't kill anyone - not even babies. Babies don't need to be parked for hours in front of the tube - but neither do 15-year-olds or 35-year-olds, or even 70-year-olds. I'd even venture to say that, in small, controlled doses, TV might even be good for a parent's mental-health.

I'll admit that I need two hands to do things occassionally and recongnize the usefullness of tools. The TV is a tool.

These vidoes are a god-send sometimes. They provide a really nice, brief distraction to my still-immobile and not-old-enough-to-entertain-herself baby when I actually DO need two hands to achive a task.

She's entertained for about 10 minutes before she screams, and that usually gives me enough time to load/unload the dishwasher, get the baby's laundry in the washer/dryer, help the oldest with homework, etc. I can achieve my chorse quickly and in peace. And I like these videos because the content is innocuous - unlike most of what's on broadcast TV these days.

whizbang77045

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whizbang77045

1. Parents are individually responsible for what their kids do, so whether or not someone allows their kids to watch DVDs/TV is their responsibility, not mine.

2. My grandson, age 1, had some of these DVDs, and loved them. He watched them over and over. In fact, we all got rather tired of hearing them. I'm fairly conservative, but I found nothing remotedly harmful in these DVDs, and a lot to commend them.

eartha

kateybee wrote:Heck- PBS Sprout and Noggin are 24 hours! What 3 year old is chilling out watching Caillou or Dora at 3am?!

Heh, totally been there! There have been times when the kid got his sleep schedule mixed up and I was too sleepy myself to supervise him safely. That 20 minute nap at 3:45 am is *so* worth paying the cable bill, especially when I have to work the next day. I frankly have no idea how families survive raising children without any TV at all because at times like that I think my TV is the best thing since sliced bread.

Anyway, this thread is a total downer now, which is sad because my family loved these products. If you don't let your kid watch TV, then don't buy children's DVDs. If you do let your under-3 kid watch TV, then I can recommend 2 of these DVDs (the 3rd not so much). The CDs are fine though we like the bonus CDs that come with the DVDs better. Haven't read the books.

As a side note, I've read a bunch of the research on letting children watch TV and we let him watch it anyway. We found it simply too difficult to never have the TV on. Two guidelines that we use in our household though are (in case they help you):
1. If no one is actively watching TV, then turn it off. No background TV allowed -- it destroys a kid's ability to focus.
2. Only show stuff with slower cutting speeds. The hyper-speed shows like the older kid's animation shows shape a young child's brain to need fast stimulation. To understand the difference, compare Spongebob (fast) with Tigger and Pooh (slow). BTW, these Baby Genius videos are slow without being boring.

Also, Baby Einstein did not have any singing or speaking in it, so of course kids were not developing verbally while watching those. Duh. We always tried to expose my child to children's shows with singing in it, and then we would sing the songs together. That's part of why my kid is so bananas about music.

Zippy The Pinhead

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Zippy The Pinhead

'Stimulous' is not a word

'Stimulus' is

I am a genius, baby!

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.