Blackwell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Blackwell

Wait, you left out the sequence where Pa lets the girls play with the inflated bladder of the freshly slaughtered hog? That's the best part!

kiraroberson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiraroberson

Surprised no one has suggested the "Anne of Green Gables" books. There are 8 of them. They have a few more big words than "Little House," but there's more humor in them.

jmgrann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmgrann

I grew up near DeSmet, SD where Laura's family settled and some of the books take place. The books are pretty much standard reading for SD third graders since our state is proud of the author.

My husband, who teaches 3rd grade, says that kids that age have a hard time getting interested and following the stories these days. Guess they'd rather hear about Harry Potter than what life was really like for the pioneers.

I agree the books are probably more suited for older audiences. The language is unfamiliar and they aren't exactly fairy tales. I find them more interesting as an adult than I did as a child.

If anyone loves the stories, DeSmet has the Ingalls homestead and museum and puts on an outdoor play every summer. Horse drawn wagons and such.

medubois

quality posts: 0 Private Messages medubois
keedalee wrote:I just finished reading "Charlotte's Web" to my girls (ages almost 3 and 4 1/2) and we were able to discuss some hard things such as Wilbur's fear of being killed and then Charlotte's death. I would rather read these kinds of books than some of the newer 'early' reader kinds of books, where I'm changing the word 'stupid' to 'silly' because we don't approve of that word.

We just started reading the original 'Wizard of Oz' and the girls are really enjoying it. Am hoping that we can watch the movie together for the first time after we have finished the book.

Any other suggestions for bedtime reading to children of this age? I've got the Little House books - but the chapters are so long. Loved them when I was younger - that and Nancy Drew!

The Invention of Hugo Cabret was a Caldecott Winner a few years ago. We bought it because it is our tradition to buy our daughter (3) the current Caldecott for her b-day, and work backwards by year through the winners for Christmas. Anyway, Hugo was a little old for her at 2, but she loves it now that she can handle some chapters. It's part chapter, part picture book with INCREDIBLE artwork (er, hence the award). Anyway, that's my recommendation. And thanks for reminding me that we have Charlotte and Stuart Little on the shelf- she got them for birth-gifts but hasn't been ready for chapters until recently. Yea!

zakyam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zakyam
nihil wrote:I have a 1909 edition book of Grimm's Fairy Tales and I'll second that. Some of the stories are almost unrecognizable from what they've been transformed to in modern times.

It's not just the scary parts--how about that life is not just about boy-meets-girl? These "fairy-tales" that make it seem that everyone is of a princess hierarchy and ends up with the prince. I think every boy and girl should shoot for the stars, but the stars are not always the achievement of the perfect princely spouse that whisks women away to a life of riches and servants.
But, of course, I am the mom that makes my kids turn off some of this stuff when its on regular TV too. It's tiring. Makes kids think they need constant approval from others instead of just being themselves.

WootFlair

quality posts: 10 Private Messages WootFlair

Saw this a few days ago.

The 11 Most Surprising Banned Book