Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Watch any kids' TV show and you'll see commercial after commercial marketing directly to the kids. Advertisers have long known that the best way to get you to buy something for your kid is to enlist said kid as their agent on the inside. So I thought this Play-Doh ad campaign from Singapore (as seen at Ugly Doggy) was an interesting and hilarious reversal.

playdoh1

Ostensibly, it takes the old-fashioned approach of convincing us parents that Play-Doh is a mild-mannered toy that you can trust to babysit your precious little ones. But the way it does that isn't old-fashioned at all. It uses humor and danger to exploit my generation's overriding consumer impulse: the need to feel cool. Also, consider how much more acceptable it is today for adults to buy, collect, even play with toys. You don't see anybody's desk decorated with action figures on Mad Men. So while the dark humor appeals to your more mature (or at least adolescent) side, the colorful pleasure of these meticulous miniatures make you want to grab a handful of Play-Doh and start molding, like a kid. As somebody who almost always hates ads, I'll admit that campaigns like this are why I say "almost". Click "read more" to see the whole line.

playdoh3

playdoh4

playdoh5

playdoh2

Thanks, Fipi Lele!

Draug

quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug

I laughed! The pills really did it siince Play-Doh is supposed to be safe to ingest.

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
Draug wrote:I laughed! The pills really did it siince Play-Doh is supposed to be safe to ingest.

yeah, what is it, made with wheat products I believe? so 20th century. I wonder if it actually has any nutritional value (other than the likely digestive coloration effect)

edit - I guess no one's bothered to measure the nutritional value. I'm mildly amused that it's something yet to be on the internet. I did spot the latest playdoh patent, if you ever want to make it at home http://www.wikipatents.com/6713624.html-1

katerperez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages katerperez

Yeah, these are way awesome. The pills rock!

katerperez

Ed3rd

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Ed3rd
Draug wrote:I laughed! The pills really did it siince Play-Doh is supposed to be safe to ingest.

I laughed too.

Until I realized that once dry, it would then become a choking hazard...

It's a krap! We cannot repel bags of this magnitude!
10/13/06 4/1/07 6/1/07 12/11/08 01/28/10 3/26/10

smisha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smisha

I wonder if any of these would pass thru airport security.