dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

FenStar wrote: ... In a bad way...

Both were in a bad way.

Maybe you should get him together with pblgov's rabbi.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom
dontwantaname wrote:

What religion? Sounds Protestant . The Catholic priest don't listen to us.

We don't have a full-time priest any more, so no daily Mass.
I bought "A Catholic Woman's Book of Days".
It has daily Bible readings, devotions, and things to meditate on.
It is most lovely.

terrybatey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages terrybatey
FenStar wrote: ... In a bad way...

Please don't take offense to this...what I am saying is sometimes I understand what you are saying and other times I have not a clue where your reasoning comes from.

terrybatey

dontwantaname wrote:

Both were in a bad way.

Maybe you should get him together with pblgov's rabbi.

Yeah, I remember reading about that. This new guy has been around since Sept. and many people are ready to get rid of him. He is a really nice young man just doesn't see the big picture in many aspects.

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
FenStar wrote: Them perhaps some bunnies would be good?

We have them too, but thankfully they must move away from home when they grow up, because it's only one or two of them year after year.

Unfortunately, the groundhog is back, but he seems to be using my yard as a highway from somewhere else to a different somewhere else. Not stopping to dig here so far. All I can figure is he looks around as he passes by, sees all of the mole trails, and thinks to himself: "Well, the old neighborhood has really gone downhill lately ..."

terrybatey

Sorry, to put the thread back on flower topic...

acemom

gwp wrote:

We have them too, but thankfully they must move away from home when they grow up, because it's only one or two of them year after year.

Unfortunately, the groundhog is back, but he seems to be using my yard as a highway from somewhere else to a different somewhere else. Not stopping to dig here so far. All I can figure is he looks around as he passes by, sees all of the mole trails, and thinks to himself: "Well, the old neighborhood has really gone downhill lately ..."

Bwahahaha!!
*ahem*
We have groundhogs here, one used to live under my deck. i never knew they could climb, but one day I saw it on top of one of my weeping cherry trees, munching away.
I have bunnies, but the dogs pretty much run them off.
Used to have a lot of raccoons, but no longer.
Nasty possums, though.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
terrybatey wrote:
Please don't take offense to this...what I am saying is sometimes I understand what you are saying and other times I have not a clue where your reasoning comes from.

I don't take offense to that, I'm thrilled you think I'm capable of reason!

Still single, can't imagine why.

terrybatey

FenStar wrote: I don't take offense to that, I'm thrilled you think I'm capable of reason!

lol

gwp

terrybatey wrote:Sorry, to put the thread back on flower topic...

It's not all flowers. This will be filled (fingers crossed) with a multitude of vegetables later this summer.

Just have to wait for it to dry out a little before I can till it the first time. Usually I like to till it a few times before planting, mixing in all kinds of good stuff each time and getting it ready to plant. (Mostly I just like to operate big, loud, powerful, gasoline-powered equipment ... *grunt*, *grunt*)

terrybatey

gwp wrote:

ROFL Are traps available to catch them?

terrybatey

gwp wrote:

It's not all flowers. This will be filled (fingers crossed) with a multitude of vegetables later this summer.

Just have to wait for it to dry out a little before I can till it the first time. Usually I like to till it a few times before planting, mixing in all kinds of good stuff each time and getting it ready to plant. (Mostly I just like to operate big, loud, powerful, gasoline-powered equipment ... *grunt*, *grunt*)

One of my neighbors planted four watermelon vines last year. I couldn't believe how they took over the ground. It was the first time any of the neighbors had tried that one and I think year they will all plant them. They tasted great and were plentiful. Mostly we plant pepper regular and hot, tomatoes, string beans, squash, cucumbers all the good veggies. Once it starts to produce we really don't buy anything at the store but fruits all summer.

gwp

terrybatey wrote:
ROFL Are traps available to catch them?

The groundhogs? Yes, but the problem you have then is what the heck do you do with them? They're mad as hornets once they're in the trap, and it's against the law to drive them somewhere to let them go, even if there was a good way to let them back out of the trap.

Can't shoot 'em (at least not with a conventional firearm -- we're in a firearms-restricted town). They seem to get annoyed and move along if you lob hickory nuts at them with a slingshot though.

terrybatey

gwp wrote:

The groundhogs? Yes, but the problem you have then is what the heck do you do with them? They're mad as hornets once they're in the trap, and it's against the law to drive them somewhere to let them go, even if there was a good way to let them back out of the trap.

Can't shoot 'em (at least not with a conventional firearm -- we're in a firearms-restricted town). They seem to get annoyed and move along if you lob hickory nuts at them with a slingshot though.

KT said before that her town doesn't allow her to move animals either. We don't have that around here. We can move them just can't shoot them. Well except deer they hunt them every year to keep the population limited.

acemom

terrybatey wrote:
KT said before that her town doesn't allow her to move animals either. We don't have that around here. We can move them just can't shoot them. Well except deer they hunt them every year to keep the population limited.

Heh, I live in the sticks. I can shoot em as long as no one complains.
I can move them.
I can sell them to the good ol' boys down the road for dinner.

gwp

terrybatey wrote:
One of my neighbors planted four watermelon vines last year. I couldn't believe how they took over the ground. It was the first time any of the neighbors had tried that one and I think year they will all plant them. They tasted great and were plentiful. Mostly we plant pepper regular and hot, tomatoes, string beans, squash, cucumbers all the good veggies. Once it starts to produce we really don't buy anything at the store but fruits all summer.

So far I've got seeds started for watermelon, three varieties of tomato, two kinds of peppers, and celery. I'll be planting snow peas, corn, butternut and acorn squash, carrots, three or four radish varieties, parsley, chives, endive, and cucumber all from seed in the garden, and will probably either start seeds for or buy plants for a few more pepper varieties, and maybe try lettuce again this year.

Up near the house, I will probably try pumpkin (and maybe put the watermelons there too), and probably a bunch of pots of herbs.

I ought to plant a few more fruit trees too. The only surviving pear tree doesn't produce fruit, and the cherry and apple have been gone for a few years. I wish I had a good spot for berries, but as you can see, my lot is developed all the way to the lot line between mine and the folks behind me. Just a small rock wall separating us.

FenStar

gwp wrote:The groundhogs? Yes, but the problem you have then is what the heck do you do with them? They're mad as hornets once they're in the trap, and it's against the law to drive them somewhere to let them go, even if there was a good way to let them back out of the trap.

Who would even know?
You should at least get them neutered at the local animal shelter.

gwp

FenStar wrote: Who would even know?
You should at least get them neutered at the local animal shelter.

This is NY Fen. "Excuse me, but could I have my pet woodchuck neutered please?" They don't get that a lot around here. It would surely raise suspicion...

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

gwp wrote:

So far I've got seeds started for watermelon, three varieties of tomato, two kinds of peppers, and celery. I'll be planting snow peas, corn, butternut and acorn squash, carrots, three or four radish varieties, parsley, chives, endive, and cucumber all from seed in the garden, and will probably either start seeds for or buy plants for a few more pepper varieties, and maybe try lettuce again this year.

Up near the house, I will probably try pumpkin (and maybe put the watermelons there too), and probably a bunch of pots of herbs.

I ought to plant a few more fruit trees too. The only surviving pear tree doesn't produce fruit, and the cherry and apple have been gone for a few years. I wish I had a good spot for berries, but as you can see, my lot is developed all the way to the lot line between mine and the folks behind me. Just a small rock wall separating us.

Are you trying to say you don't have room for berries???? I have room for berries!
Get a large pot because the damn things spread. Mine are in a confined garden surrounded by concrete.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

terrybatey

gwp wrote:

This is NY Fen. "Excuse me, but could I have my pet woodchuck neutered please?" They don't get that a lot around here. It would surely raise suspicion...

Could a woodchuck chuck if your woodchuck didn't have wood?

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

terrybatey wrote:
Could you woodchuck chuck if your woodchuck didn't have wood?

//groan

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

gwp

dontwantaname wrote:

Are you trying to say you don't have room for berries???? I have room for berries!
Get a large pot because the damn things spread. Mine are in a confined garden surrounded by concrete.

I don't have anything for them to climb on back there. It would have to be a place where I wasn't going to want to mow. The only spot like that is along the side of my barn/shed/thing, where I have the woodpiles. It's very dark there, so I don't know if they'd ripen.

acemom

dontwantaname wrote:

What kind of berries?
I have a lot of fence for them to grow on....

gwp

terrybatey wrote:
Could you woodchuck chuck if your woodchuck didn't have wood?

She must have found some Chuck with wood, because they seem to keep the population going ...

acemom

gwp wrote:

She must have found some Chuck with wood, because they seem to keep the population going ...

Good heavens!!
Guys will be guys......

acemom

Not technically gardening, but......

My windows are still open and I can hear the frogs singing outside.
The pond is a PIA but it sometimes brings me great joy.

terrybatey

gwp

terrybatey wrote:

Oh, if only dog manure could be used in the garden ... I'd be a rich, rich man. With a very happy garden.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Husband just bought a single tomato plant of a new variety he wants to try, supposed to grow good in ribs weather. "Big Beef" 73 days till maturity.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

gwp

pooflady wrote:Husband just bought a single tomato plant of a new variety he wants to try, supposed to grow good in ribs weather. "Big Beef" 73 days till maturity.

My tomato seedlings are about 2" tall now. Time to transplant them to individual pots this weekend. We're supposed to have snow again next week, so I can't move them out to the cold-frame yet. Maybe right after Easter.

Celery is up now too, but very, very small yet. Cayenne peppers are doing great (should transplant some of them as well), and even three of the watermelon have sprouted. I'm feeling better about the greenhouse thing now...

acemom

gwp wrote:

My tomato seedlings are about 2" tall now. Time to transplant them to individual pots this weekend. We're supposed to have snow again next week, so I can't move them out to the cold-frame yet. Maybe right after Easter.

Celery is up now too, but very, very small yet. Cayenne peppers are doing great (should transplant some of them as well), and even three of the watermelon have sprouted. I'm feeling better about the greenhouse thing now...

Whoa! Sounds great!!
greenhouse must be working very well!!

gwp

acemom wrote:
Whoa! Sounds great!!
greenhouse must be working very well!!

A little too well. It's practically raining in there. I see a little white fuzz on the soil in some spots. Hopefully when I transplant it'll keep it at bay.

Now that they're all sprouted, I can back off on the watering a little too. I ought to set-up the coldframes this weekend though while the weather is nice. That way, if the weather man is wrong (or if they stay warm enough at night), I can move them outdoors sooner.

acemom

gwp wrote:

A little too well. It's practically raining in there. I see a little white fuzz on the soil in some spots. Hopefully when I transplant it'll keep it at bay.

Now that they're all sprouted, I can back off on the watering a little too. I ought to set-up the coldframes this weekend though while the weather is nice. That way, if the weather man is wrong (or if they stay warm enough at night), I can move them outdoors sooner.

should you let a little more air circulate in there to get rid of the white spots?
It has been mostly warm here lately, but supposed to be in the 40's next week.

FenStar

Forgot to resize
Also had a rose, but imageshack won't take it...

czardastx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages czardastx
FenStar wrote:Flower Pics

Those are pretty, but those aren't cactus.

What are they?

The secret to a happy marriage is to split everything 50/50. My wife gets the big half and I get the little half. - Chief Buffalo Nickel

FenStar

The first one is a Clematis
Don't know what the second one is.
Third one is a daffodil.

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
FenStar wrote:

Forgot to resize

Beautiful, Fen. I am truly jealous of your weather.

I love the clematis.

FenStar

killingtime wrote:I love the clematis.

Eh, looking at it now, If I had removed the dead flower from behind it and put the leaf behind the top petal it would have been a great picture. I was just afraid I would step on something...

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
FenStar wrote: Eh, looking at it now, If I had removed the dead flower from behind it and put the leaf behind the top petal it would have been a great picture. I was just afraid I would step on something...

You can photoshop that easily...if you wanted to...but you don't need to.

I love the color! Pur-ple.

FenStar

killingtime wrote:You can photoshop that easily...if you wanted to...but you don't need to.

I love the color! Pur-ple.

I'm thinking about going back over there and re-taking it, but I really must get some work done...