acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom
dontwantaname wrote:

Smells really good when you are yanking it out of the ground! Somehow there is always more the next year!

That is because it sends out runners. It spreads everywhere. Keep it in a pot, not in your garden!!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

acemom wrote:
That is because it sends out runners. It spreads everywhere. Keep it in a pot, not in your garden!!

Well you are around 15 years too late telling me that!
Got it for son when he was small. Got some lambs ear too. It was a touch and smell thing.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I got some sort of violet too. Two little 4 inch pots that are now everywhere. Even on the other side of the house. We just mow them with the grass. In the spring I have little purple flowers in the lawn!
Had no clue it was a ground cover type thing. It is pretty, but not everywhere!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

acemom

dontwantaname wrote:I got some sort of violet too. Two little 4 inch pots that are now everywhere. Even on the other side of the house. We just mow them with the grass. In the spring I have little purple flowers in the lawn!

I have actual violets that are natural here in the spring.
Pretty, fragile, and they smell good!!
I have wild roses in my woods and wild black raspberries as well!
They just grow naturally, along with the poison ivy!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

acemom wrote:
I have actual violets that are natural here in the spring.
Pretty, fragile, and they smell good!!
I have wild roses in my woods and wild black raspberries as well!
They just grow naturally, along with the poison ivy!!

I have some type of berry. Bought it at the same sale as the other things! It is in a small garden between the house and driveway. Thank goodness, it spreads too and it has thorns! The berries are great. I never even bring them into the house. Just pick and eat.
No matter when I go on vacation, that is when they will ripen.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

acemom

dontwantaname wrote:

I have some type of berry. Bought it at the same sale as the other things! It is in a small garden between the house and driveway. Thank goodness, it spreads too and it has thorns! The berries are great. I never even bring them into the house. Just pick and eat.
No matter when I go on vacation, that is when they will ripen.

heh, sounds like some type of raspberry.
Mine are wild, never planted them, they just grow there!!

But yes.
Yum.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

acemom wrote:
heh, sounds like some type of raspberry.
Mine are wild, never planted them, they just grow there!!

But yes.
Yum.

I'll take a picture this year.

Goodnight Ace. Night anyone else up! See you all.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
dontwantaname wrote:
Smells really good when you are yanking it out of the ground! Somehow there is always more the next year!

dontwantaname wrote:I got some sort of violet too. Two little 4 inch pots that are now everywhere. Even on the other side of the house. We just mow them with the grass. In the spring I have little purple flowers in the lawn!

Now this is worse than white rocks. This would be a total deal breaker for me. In order to get rid of it, you'd have to dig up the entire lawn, re-loam and re-seed.

Grrrrrr...

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp

Holy cow. I guess I crashed way too early last night. This thread took off like a flash ...

Answer to cruzer's question: major, no, but I took a couple of courses. I had taken some physics courses, and really enjoy it, but the math was starting to become a problem for me, so the natural sciences were a good outlet. Took three courses in Bonsai from a master, which was really, really cool. I wish I had kept up with it.

Mostly it was just growing up in a family that liked to garden (father: trees and vegetable gardens, and mother: flower gardens), and my years as a Boy Scout that make me want to be outdoors as much as I can.

When it comes to the ornamental garden stuff though, seems a couple of the women here really know their stuff. I'm afraid that except for a few pretty pedestrian varieties of flowers, all I can identify them by is "Oh, that's a big red ... er, thing."

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

killingtime wrote:

Now this is worse than white rocks. This would be a total deal breaker for me. In order to get rid of it, you'd have to dig up the entire lawn, re-loam and re-seed.

Grrrrrr...

You mow them to the same hight as the grass. It is where there was dirt that it is a problem. The leaf is pretty and so is the flower.

You went out of your way to put in those white rocks! I bet they aren't white this year. What are you going to do, bleach them?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

killingtime

dontwantaname wrote:
I bet they aren't white this year. What are you going to do, bleach them?

Yes, I will.

tennbeekeeper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tennbeekeeper
killingtime wrote:

Yes, I will.

Hey, are you going to take your cantaloupe seeds with you? These are some sort of Frenchn-named cantaloupe.
I'm about ready to put mine in their seed starter pods. If more than two come up, and there usually is a boat-load, I give them to friends to put in their gardens.

killingtime

tennbeekeeper wrote:

Hey, are you going to take your cantaloupe seeds with you? These are some sort of Frenchn-named cantaloupe.
I'm about ready to put mine in their seed starter pods. If more than two come up, and there usually is a boat-load, I give them to friends to put in their gardens.

Yes. They are still in the fridge with the note! LOL!

mikelally

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mikelally

Good ol' grandma

acemom

My daffodils look like they will need one more day or so to begin blooming. Since I have several varieties and they are located in a plot of different spots on my property, they will bloom at different times.
Then my lilacs!! Lilacs bloom on old wood, isn't that right?

Edit: What did mikelally do to get on probation?

killingtime

acemom wrote:Edit: What did mikelally do to get on probation?

Uh...probably one of a couple suggestive photos posted this afternoon? I wondered if he was going to get away with it...

acemom

killingtime wrote:

Uh...probably one of a couple suggestive photos posted this afternoon? I wondered if he was going to get away with it...

Did I see them? Are they still there?
Oh, I saw the one about the little girl learning to read, heh...

killingtime

acemom wrote:
Did I see them? Are they still there?
Oh, I saw the one about the little girl learning to read, heh...

Sand sculpture...

acemom

killingtime wrote:

Sand sculpture...

Didn't see that one.

killingtime

acemom wrote:
Didn't see that one.

They didn't do anything with the stripper one.

acemom

killingtime wrote:

They didn't do anything with the stripper one.

Hmmm. Thought they would get rid of that because of the F bomb!!

killingtime

acemom wrote:
Hmmm. Thought they would get rid of that because of the F bomb!!

It was funny, but...

I thought he had potential to become a post whore.

acemom

killingtime wrote:

It was funny, but...

I thought he had potential to become a post whore.

I know. He has potential and he is pretty funny. Maybe he will come back.
Or maybe we will have another Zilla on our hands......

killingtime

acemom wrote:

Heh. Well, wooters come in all flavors and colors...he's just another part of the palette.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

acemom wrote:

Well, nobody talked to him either.
Yeah, it was way past PG13!
I really like the frog. Came from the Simpsons? Looks like it was drawn by them.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

killingtime

dontwantaname wrote:

Well, nobody talked to him either.
Yeah, it was way past PG13!
I really like the frog. Came from the Simpsons? Looks like it was drawn by them.

He was definitely graphics savvy.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 588 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

killingtime wrote:

He was definitely graphics savvy.

They removed the sand scupture from RAT. I wondered if that one might get him in trouble.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

acemom

daj59 wrote:
They removed the sand scupture from RAT. I wondered if that one might get him in trouble.

anyone want to describe it for me?
By PM if necessary?

ThunderThighs

Staff

acemom wrote:
anyone want to describe it for me?
By PM if necessary?

A rather large male butt with other parts intact
Very large opening
Man standing on head in opening

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

killingtime

daj59 wrote:

Yeah, I don't think RAT ever caught on as a mod-free environment free of probation. I think it was a nice idealistic place, but unless it was a password protected thread with the 18 year old warning thing, I don't think woot could overlook some of the material.

acemom

daj59 wrote:
A rather large male butt with other parts intact
Very large opening
Man standing on head in opening

Oh good heavens.
Sounds gross.

ThunderThighs

Staff

killingtime wrote:

Yeah, I don't think RAT ever caught on as a mod-free environment free of probation. I think it was a nice idealistic place, but unless it was a password protected thread with the 18 year old warning thing, I don't think woot could overlook some of the material.

I think they did overlook some stuff. There were a few that I posted that I debated. But the really bad stuff I linked instead.

FORUM MODERATOR

gwp

Not that I would try to un-hijack a thread or anything, but ...

Busy day today. Finished tearing down a compost pile and spreading it around the vegetable garden. Spread a 30-gallon can full of wood ashes on the garden. Too wet to till it all in yet though.

Chipped about a third of a brush pile left from pruning the barberry hedge and a large spruce a couple of weeks ago. Will have to use the chainsaw on some of it later because it's too big for the chipper.

Still no sprouts in the greenhouse, but boy is it tropical in there now. Feels like about 80 degrees, and so humid it's almost raining. It'd be nice to see something sprout soon though ...

acemom

gwp wrote:Not that I would try to un-hijack a thread or anything, but ...

Busy day today. Finished tearing down a compost pile and spreading it around the vegetable garden. Spread a 30-gallon can full of wood ashes on the garden. Too wet to till it all in yet though.

Chipped about a third of a brush pile left from pruning the barberry hedge and a large spruce a couple of weeks ago. Will have to use the chainsaw on some of it later because it's too big for the chipper.

Still no sprouts in the greenhouse, but boy is it tropical in there now. Feels like about 80 degrees, and so humid it's almost raining. It'd be nice to see something sprout soon though ...

Wow, you did have a busy day!!
I always put my wood ashes in the compost pile....you can spread them right in the garden?

I take it you had good weather today.....it was in the 70's here!

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Poofguy cut all the pampas grass back to a few inches today.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

We hung the birdhouses. Took the broken one down and fixed it. If the birds move out...oh well. There were no eggs yet.
Hung KT's and the one I got on vacation last year. Now we will see if they are hung in good spots.

The daffodils and the tulips started coming up in Jan. I checked them today, they aren't dead. I guess they will start to grow again. There is still a little snow in spots that are true north.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

acemom

pooflady wrote:Poofguy cut all the pampas grass back to a few inches today.

Still too wet here to do anything at all.
*squish squish*

gwp

acemom wrote:
Wow, you did have a busy day!!
I always put my wood ashes in the compost pile....you can spread them right in the garden?

I take it you had good weather today.....it was in the 70's here!

I put another 30 gallons in the compost pile earlier in the winter (my ash can was so full I didn't have any more room ...).

Wood ash raises the pH of the soil, and adds potassium and some phosphorus to the soil. Too much can be bad for some plants however. The amount I added, over the area that I spread it shouldn't raise it too high. (Especially with the amount of compost I added, which will lower the pH.) I will have to add some nitrogen supplement of some sort however, especially if I go get the truckload of manure that I'm thinking of adding.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

gwp wrote:

I put another 30 gallons in the compost pile earlier in the winter (my ash can was so full I didn't have any more room ...).

Wood ash raises the pH of the soil, and adds potassium and some phosphorus to the soil. Too much can be bad for some plants however. The amount I added, over the area that I spread it shouldn't raise it too high. (Especially with the amount of compost I added, which will lower the pH.) I will have to add some nitrogen supplement of some sort however, especially if I go get the truckload of manure that I'm thinking of adding.

Truckload of manure....your neighbors will love you!

In Queens, when the cow barn was still there, they gave away manure. Only problem was, everyone's gardens were measured in feet and inches. I have no clue what they did with most of it.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

acemom

gwp wrote:

Sounds good....I am nowhere near the gardener you are, but then not much grows here in the woods. Well, except for natural stuff. We used to have lilies-of-the-valley growing wild, but acedad dug them up when he enlarged the pond.
i have pretty ferns that grow in the low and shady areas. In the spring I have a lot of little pink-and-white blossoms everywhere on the ground. And there are areas that have what look like miniature umbrella trees for a week or 2 in the spring.