pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
Josephus wrote:I have some of those jars I got from my mom that've been refilled 50 or more times!

I got rid of all my regular mouth jars years ago and got the wide mouth so I could get my hand in them to wash. This was pre dishwasher. Now it wouldn't matter. Sill have regular mouth lids for pints.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AZGman wrote:Wegman's has canned green beans for 39 cents/can.

You have wegmans???

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
dontwantaname wrote:You have wegmans???

Yup. And Harris Teeter, too.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AZGman wrote:Yup. And Harris Teeter, too.

Don't know Harris Teeter. Wegmans is wonderful. Wish we had one.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

AZGman

dontwantaname wrote:Don't know Harris Teeter. Wegmans is wonderful. Wish we had one.

They're similar.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner
pooflady wrote:I did do 21 quarts of tomatoes. You still grow beans with strings? Are you out of your mind?

Edit: Boiling water bath, not pressure can for tomatoes.

I bought them! I paid $25 for a bushel. The fruit stand guy assured me that he was giving me a really good deal. Market prince is $30 I think. It is really too late for half runners. Can you grow beans without strings?

joyner

Josephus wrote:I have some of those jars I got from my mom that've been refilled 50 or more times!

Daughter1 cleaned out FIL's garage and either sold everything or threw it away including canning jars. I suppose that is one of the reasons that I'm trying to figure out this canning stuff. That and the fact that I got a brand new stainless steel pressure canner at Goodwill for $8.00!

maggie3052

quality posts: 3 Private Messages maggie3052

Grew up with Wegman's, Syracuse, NY. Went to college in NC. A good friend I went school with in NC family's is Harris Teeter(Ruddick Corp}. Harris Teeter only fears two stores on the east coast, Publix (no big deal as a customer) and Wegmans. They aren't in NC yet.

Wegmans is the best of all grocery stores. If they were here, I'd never have to cook again except the grill.

HT is good but Wegmans is the best....(Sorry John)

AZGman

joyner wrote:I bought them! I paid $25 for a bushel. The fruit stand guy assured me that he was giving me a really good deal. Market prince is $30 I think. It is really too late for half runners. Can you grow beans without strings?

loafer beans - no strings

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

maggie3052 wrote:Grew up with Wegman's, Syracuse, NY. Went to college in NC. A good friend I went school with in NC family's is Harris Teeter(Ruddick Corp}. Harris Teeter only fears two stores on the east coast, Publix (no big deal as a customer) and Wegmans. They aren't in NC yet.

Wegmans is the best of all grocery stores. If they were here, I'd never have to cook again except the grill.

HT is good but Wegmans is the best....(Sorry John)

Ithaca basically only had wegmans when daughter started college there.
It was enough

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

AZGman

dontwantaname wrote:Ithaca basically only had wegmans when daughter started college there.
It was enough

So, is this exciting enough for ya?

pooflady

joyner wrote:I bought them! I paid $25 for a bushel. The fruit stand guy assured me that he was giving me a really good deal. Market prince is $30 I think. It is really too late for half runners. Can you grow beans without strings?

Absolutely! Husband used to grow Tenderette, great for canning.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

pooflady

joyner wrote:Daughter1 cleaned out FIL's garage and either sold everything or threw it away including canning jars. I suppose that is one of the reasons that I'm trying to figure out this canning stuff. That and the fact that I got a brand new stainless steel pressure canner at Goodwill for $8.00!

What a deal!

Bought one of these this year and it worked really well. I'd never seen one before.
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-605-canning-lid-Rack/dp/B0000CF39X/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1315789500&sr=8-8

Lynnzoi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lynnzoi

I haven't canned or put up anything in years...bad me. Used to spend the entire Labor Day weekend canning tomatoes when I was growing up. Ran 2 canners, played pinochle in between batches. I canned and did jellies and jams and pickles for a while after I got married, but ended up never using it all. If I peeked in the dusty corners in the basement I might actually find some pickles lol. I have scads of jars....scads, I tell ya. And I have boxes of antique jars too. Love the blue ones.

pooflady

You can't buy green beans, either canned or frozen, that taste as good as home canned. And home frozen aren't that great, either. When my kids got married, they used to ask for quarts of them for Christmas presents.

Lynnzoi

pooflady wrote:What a deal!

Bought one of these this year and it worked really well. I'd never seen one before.
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-605-canning-lid-Rack/dp/B0000CF39X/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1315789500&sr=8-8

thass kewel...beats pickin out of a pan of boiling water

talked to my sister last week and she has been putting up tomatoes - has been getting farms shares this year and gets tons of 'maters. Said she bought this food mill thingie that skins, seeds, and chops 'em...minimal waste. Said it beats the hell outta scalding them and peeling them!

Lynnzoi

pooflady wrote:You can't buy green beans, either canned or frozen, that taste as good as home canned. And home frozen aren't that great, either. When my kids got married, they used to ask for quarts of them for Christmas presents.

agreed!

and then there are them dilly beans...my folks loved 'em and canned 'em by the quart. Me - I could take 'em or leave 'em.

pooflady

Lynnzoi wrote:agreed!

and then there are them dilly beans...my folks loved 'em and canned 'em by the quart. Me - I could take 'em or leave 'em.

Never had those.

joyner

pooflady wrote:What a deal!

looks cool! I hate chasing those little suckers around with tongs!

pooflady

joyner wrote:looks cool! I hate chasing those little suckers around with tongs!

You're a generation out of date. I've been using one of these for at least 10 years.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-606-Magnetic-Lid-Wand/dp/B0000CFMPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315792092&sr=8-1

joyner

pooflady wrote:You can't buy green beans, either canned or frozen, that taste as good as home canned. And home frozen aren't that great, either. When my kids got married, they used to ask for quarts of them for Christmas presents.

First run, we opened the canner too quickly after the pressure dropped and one of the jars lost half of it's water. I'll put it in the frige after it cools off. Have to eat them with in a couple of weeks. Next run, one of the jars broke! Last run. This is going to be way past my bedtime!

joyner

pooflady wrote:You're a generation out of date. I've been using one of these for at least 10 years.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-606-Magnetic-Lid-Wand/dp/B0000CFMPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315792092&sr=8-1

Oh I want one of those!!! I'm more than one generation out of date. I watched MIL can and she was born in 1920. They wouldn't use a pressure canner. They canned outside on a wood heater. They wrapped the jars in rags and put them in a big old tub in a water bath. I could hear the botulism growing.

Lynnzoi

pooflady wrote:Never had those.

spicy, bitey beans - use dill (obviously!), cayenne pepper, and garlic, among other things. google it and you will come up with tons of recipes.

Lynnzoi

joyner wrote:Oh I want one of those!!! I'm more than one generation out of date. I watched MIL can and she was born in 1920. They wouldn't use a pressure canner. They canned outside on a wood heater. They wrapped the jars in rags and put them in a big old tub in a water bath. I could hear the botulism growing.

we never used a pressure canner. Always the hot water bath. and I forgot about that magnetic lid lifter....also had jar lifters that made life easier, too.

Lynnzoi

omg that commercial makes me cry....the Budweiser Clydesdales bowing toward the WTC site

pooflady

Lynnzoi wrote:we never used a pressure canner. Always the hot water bath. and I forgot about that magnetic lid lifter....also had jar lifters that made life easier, too.

Not supposed to use hot water bath for non-acid veggies.

I have a friend who just pours boiling water in her tomato jars and puts the lids on. Not supposed to do that anymore either because today's tomatoes don't have as much acid as the old varieties.

pooflady

joyner wrote:First run, we opened the canner too quickly after the pressure dropped and one of the jars lost half of it's water. I'll put it in the frige after it cools off. Have to eat them with in a couple of weeks. Next run, one of the jars broke! Last run. This is going to be way past my bedtime!

In 35 years of canning I've never had either of those happen. Make damn sure those lids have sealed tomorrow. You'd also better have your temperature gauge checked for accuracy and make sure your gasket is still flexible.

joyner

Lynnzoi wrote:we never used a pressure canner. Always the hot water bath. and I forgot about that magnetic lid lifter....also had jar lifters that made life easier, too.

I need a jar lifter too. I'm breaking the rules and canning on my flat top stove. Don't tell anybody!

joyner

pooflady wrote:In 35 years of canning I've never had either of those happen. Make damn sure those lids have sealed tomorrow. You'd also better have your temperature gauge checked for accuracy and make sure your gasket is still flexible.

Is it because we are canning on Sunday?

edit: I can hear them popping.

pooflady

joyner wrote:I need a jar lifter too. I'm breaking the rules and canning on my flat top stove. Don't tell anybody!

Mine's a flattop, too, and so is my friend's. I called the maker and asked and they said canning would be okay. You just have to keep a real close eye on your temperature gauge and adjust up and down without letting it get below, what, 10 pounds pressure? Did your little rubber thingy on top seal?

Did you get the latest Ball Book for canning?

joyner

pooflady wrote:Mine's a flattop, too, and so is my friend's. I called the maker and asked and they said canning would be okay. You just have to keep a real close eye on your temperature gauge and adjust up and down without letting it get below, what, 10 pounds pressure? Did your little rubber thingy on top seal?

Did you get the latest Ball Book for canning?

The jars are sealing. I don't have a new Ball Canning Book. I need to get one. They used to give them away at the extension office. I got one when I was at Clemson back in the 70s! My canner doesn't have a gauge. It just has a jiggler that makes it 10 pounds. If you want 15 pounds you add a little weight to the jiggler.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

hi all

my Sunday laze-around-all-day did not happen as planned

went to grocery store
put This in the crock pot
took nephew home & picked up niece & niece bf.
went to wal-mart
came home and made These while niece did homework.
niece played on 'puter - I puttered around apt. picking up etc
Ate dinner
took niece & bf home
Logged into Mom's pc remotely to install Office 2010
Just finished.

hmmph

pooflady

joyner wrote:The jars are sealing. I don't have a new Ball Canning Book. I need to get one. They used to give them away at the extension office. I got one when I was at Clemson back in the 70s! My canner doesn't have a gauge. It just has a jiggler that makes it 10 pounds. If you want 15 pounds you add a little weight to the jiggler.

Um, maybe that wasn't such a great deal.

pooflady

joyner wrote:The jars are sealing. I don't have a new Ball Canning Book. I need to get one. They used to give them away at the extension office. I got one when I was at Clemson back in the 70s! My canner doesn't have a gauge. It just has a jiggler that makes it 10 pounds. If you want 15 pounds you add a little weight to the jiggler.

The Ball books are now $13. I just got a new one.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
pooflady wrote:Um, maybe that wasn't such a great deal.

sometimes I think I would like to learn to can.

Then I realize I would probably do it once and never again.

so I just go to the store.

pooflady

For some completely unknown reason, I'm craving a baloney sammich.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:For some completely unknown reason, I'm craving a baloney sammich.

I guess you want to be full of bologna.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:I guess you want to be full of bologna.

Mmmmmmmmm.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
kdccrosby wrote:sometimes I think I would like to learn to can.

Then I realize I would probably do it once and never again.

so I just go to the store.

I fear the same thing. I don't have space to store cans either (full or empty). We'd eat them, just not sure where I'd put them, or if I'd do it again. But I've been baking bread for three months now. Need more recipes, but still going for it, when I get time. So maybe....

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
dontwantaname wrote:I guess you want to be full of bologna.

If only Ver3 would go to sleep.....

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.