ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I’m sure some may not agree but I think it’s important for a child to have a pet. Over the years, my son grew up with dogs, cats, fish, and hamsters. The two that had the most impact on his life though were Fred (the bestest dog in the whole wide world) and Bonkers (aka BooBoo, the only cat to earn my respect).

Fred was a 4 months old when we I got him from the Fort Worth Humane Society in 1986. At the same time, we got a 4yr old Beagle we named Ethel. Ethel died when our son was about 2 though so he really doesn’t remember her. Fred was a gentle dog once I knocked some sense into that thick terrier skull (figuratively, of course). All the neighborhood knew him and even kids that were afraid of dogs, had no problems being around Fred.

Fred was about 4 years old when my son was born. As an only child, he saw Fred as his best buddy.

They played many games together.

Were silly at times.

Dressed up for that extra bit of imagination.

And at the end of the day, it was time to cuddle down for some relaxing TV.

Fred was 16 when he died. We still miss that big ol’ dog.

BooBoo was the little princess that my son’s father had raised up from 3 days old when her mother was killed. As I mentioned, this cat impressed me. I saw her run horizontally across a wall when she first met the dog I had when we were dating. Later, once they learned to get along, she would also lure cats into the backyard and meow for my dog to come chase them away.

I wouldn’t call BooBoo best buddy material but she put up with anything my son dished out. She was so gentle and kind with him. We often called her “Nana BooBoo” because she was instantly there any time my son cried.

There’s nothing like a big ol’ box of packing peanuts to play in on a rainy day. The cats might not agree.

BooBoo was with us for 18 years. I’ve never met another cat that has impressed me the way that cat did.

That’s our story. My son is now 21 and away at college. We still talk about Fred & BooBoo often as they were so much a part of his life growing up.

Do you have stories or pictures to share of your kids and their pets?

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

shrdlu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shrdlu
ThunderThighs wrote:

Although my "child" is a bit older than yours in that picture, her kitty (Dinah) is still a good story. A few years ago, she and a friend discovered her, half starved, perhaps four weeks old, and a bundle of teeth, bones, and claws. She brought her inside, fed her, and (after a few days, and the sacrifice of more skin and blood) Dinah came to love and trust her. She tolerates *some* other people, and still requires a double cage when visiting the vet (an inner one to hold her immobile, so they can knock her out to examine her).

She's a very feminine and delicate looking kitty, with apparent Russian Blue heritage (no mistaking that gunmetal gray).

It takes months to find a customer, but only seconds to lose one.
The good news is that we should run out of them in no time.

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/disservicedemotivator.jpg

capguncowboy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages capguncowboy

We just got a puppy for our kids (4, almost 3, and 16 months). She's a Blue Heeler and is a really laid back dog. She's great and I've never seen the kids so happy to clean up a mess as they are when she makes one.

I think it's the best decision we've made as far as pets go. I couldn't be happier with her and I look forward to having a story like yours

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Your son was so cute!

My sister in law's husband had a black lab growing up.

It was a family of 4 boys and a girl. All the boys were nuts.
One of them would play "rodeo" with the dog. He would catch him, throw him upside down and tie his legs together.

This was going on since the dog was a pup and the kid was 5 or 6.

Then, years later the dog bit the then teenager.
Everyone was shocked.

Why?

Shocked that it took the dog so long to bite the guy! Yes, they were playing rodeo at the time.

I think the dog got extra treats that night.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

lmensor

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lmensor

Thanks for sharing TT! Your son was (and I am sure still is) adorable!! I don't have any children, but as an adult who grew up with pets in the house (dogs & goldfish) I agree that they were an important part of my life and probably made me a better person for learning about responsibility and the circle of life.

capguncowboy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages capguncowboy

When I was a kid, the neighbors across the street had a rather vicious German Shepard that was chained up and abused.

We had a small Shizu mix named scruffy. He probably came in at less than 25-30 lbs. My brothers and I were putting a new chain on my bicycle in our front yard when the German Shepard got loose from his chain and dashed across the street towards us. We ran inside unaware that our sister was playing in the side yard. She was only 5 or 6 years old and we only realized she was still outside when we heard her screaming.

Our little Scruffy nearly died protecting my sister from the German Shepard. He was bleeding and badly hurt, but refused to let go of the other dog's neck until it retreated. I have no doubt that my sister would have been, at best, badly mangled had Scruffy not saved her.

A year or two later, Scruffy was accidentally poisoned by a neighbor attempting to rid his yard of pests. He was buried in the back yard under the apple tree where he would lay on hot summer days.

Being a small child and witnessing such an amazing feat from such a small animal is truly nothing short of amazing. He'll never be replaced, but that won't stop me from trying.

ThunderThighs

Staff

capguncowboy wrote:When I was a kid, the neighbors across the street had a rather vicious German Shepard that was chained up and abused.

We had a small Shizu mix named scruffy. He probably came in at less than 25-30 lbs. My brothers and I were putting a new chain on my bicycle in our front yard when the German Shepard got loose from his chain and dashed across the street towards us. We ran inside unaware that our sister was playing in the side yard. She was only 5 or 6 years old and we only realized she was still outside when we heard her screaming.

Our little Scruffy nearly died protecting my sister from the German Shepard. He was bleeding and badly hurt, but refused to let go of the other dog's neck until it retreated. I have no doubt that my sister would have been, at best, badly mangled had Scruffy not saved her.

A year or two later, Scruffy was accidentally poisoned by a neighbor attempting to rid his yard of pests. He was buried in the back yard under the apple tree where he would lay on hot summer days.

Being a small child and witnessing such an amazing feat from such a small animal is truly nothing short of amazing. He'll never be replaced, but that won't stop me from trying.

Wow, brave little dog. Thanks for sharing that. So sad about the shepard though.

We had neighbors for a bit that had a retired police German Shepard. He was obviously very protective of his territory and people. He knew the yard boundaries down to the 4' on the other side of the driveway. He'd watch from the chain link fence and growl if you stepped into their yard.

Every now and then he'd jump the fence and be out front in his yard. My dad would holler at him to get in the backyard and off he'd go. Jump the fence to the backyard and turn around and bark at dad. LOL.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

lmensor wrote:Thanks for sharing TT! Your son was (and I am sure still is) adorable!! I don't have any children, but as an adult who grew up with pets in the house (dogs & goldfish) I agree that they were an important part of my life and probably made me a better person for learning about responsibility and the circle of life.

Awww, thanks. I think he's pretty handsome. Heh.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
ThunderThighs wrote:I’m sure some may not agree but I think it’s important for a child to have a pet. Over the years, my son grew up with dogs, cats, fish, and hamsters. The two that had the most impact on his life though were Fred (the bestest dog in the whole wide world) and Bonkers (aka BooBoo, the only cat to earn my respect).

Fred was a 4 months old when we I got him from the Fort Worth Humane Society in 1986. At the same time, we got a 4yr old Beagle we named Ethel. Ethel died when our son was about 2 though so he really doesn’t remember her. Fred was a gentle dog once I knocked some sense into that thick terrier skull (figuratively, of course). All the neighborhood knew him and even kids that were afraid of dogs, had no problems being around Fred.

Fred was about 4 years old when my son was born. As an only child, he saw Fred as his best buddy.

They played many games together.

Were silly at times.

Dressed up for that extra bit of imagination.

And at the end of the day, it was time to cuddle down for some relaxing TV.

Fred was 16 when he died. We still miss that big ol’ dog.

BooBoo was the little princess that my son’s father had raised up from 3 days old when her mother was killed. As I mentioned, this cat impressed me. I saw her run horizontally across a wall when she first met the dog I had when we were dating. Later, once they learned to get along, she would also lure cats into the backyard and meow for my dog to come chase them away.

I wouldn’t call BooBoo best buddy material but she put up with anything my son dished out. She was so gentle and kind with him. We often called her “Nana BooBoo” because she was instantly there any time my son cried.

There’s nothing like a big ol’ box of packing peanuts to play in on a rainy day. The cats might not agree.

BooBoo was with us for 18 years. I’ve never met another cat that has impressed me the way that cat did.

That’s our story. My son is now 21 and away at college. We still talk about Fred & BooBoo often as they were so much a part of his life growing up.

TT Your son was and I'm sure is adorable! What a handsome tow head.

I agree with you about kids and dogs, mine have always had several large dogs in their lives and will forever as adults.

No cats, husband is allergic with asthma.

I'll post with photos soon.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

mikebbass

quality posts: 20 Private Messages mikebbass

This is our daughter Ella and our dog-in-law Ashley. We also call her the ottoman.

This is Ella and Tiberius. My wife says I am not allowed to name anymore pets.

This is Addison and our mutt Murphy. Click on the pic to see how much Murphy hates Bob Dylan

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

1. Bags Of Crap
  2. The Bag of Shirt Crap 7/11/2014
  3. Blackboard of Cleanliness 7/11/2014
  4. (Hand)Blackboard of Cleanliness 3/23/2014
  5. 2nd Day of Crapness 12/4/13
  6. 45 Down Crossword 4/23/13
  7. FCWCECKMFONPTDMIPWAACBFMIGWS 9/18/12
  8. good-old-golden-crap-days 8/13/12
  9. we-eight-the-crap 7/12/12
  10. in-your-crapday-suit 7/12/12
  11. feliz-crapleanos 7/12/12
  12. who-smell-just-like-you 7/12/12
  13. not-exactly-a-goodie-bag 7/12/12
  14. Barrel of Crops 05/22/12
  15. Barrel of Crops 04/25/12
  16. Blackboard of Cleanliness 03/22/12
  17. Blackboard of Cleanliness 01/19/12
  18. Santa's Sack of Crap 12/25/11
  19. Blackboard of Cleanliness 12/06/11
  20. Blackboard of Cleanliness 11/09/11
  21. Blackboard of Cleanliness 07/12/11
  22. Blackboard of Cleanliness 06/15/11
  23. Random Crap 09/22/10
  24. Random Crap 08/20/10
  25. Random Crap 04/14/10
  26. Random Crap 01/28/10
  27. Random Crap 09/24/08
  28. Random Crap 04/01/08

ThunderThighs

Staff

I played the Murphy hates Bob Dylan. My dog started barking. LOL.

Nice pics! Nothing wrong with a Star Trek cat!